Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 free?

Options
  • 22-10-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Can anyone please help.im building a pc nd i need windows 7 i think it will cost me like 100 euro but i heard students get it free.i have the disk all i need is the key.anyone able to help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, you can't get it free.

You can get Windows 8.1 Pro for £50 (which is like a 75% discount)
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.288533400

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Shabaz50

Are u 100% sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

There is no free edition of Windows 7 as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Some of the 3rd level institutions are giving away free copies of windows to their students.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭php-fox

You used to be able to get for free on dreamspark. Not anymore as it seems. Only dev tools now.
    https://www.dreamspark.com/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

php-fox wrote: »
    You used to be able to get for free on dreamspark. Not anymore as it seems. Only dev tools now.
    https://www.dreamspark.com/

Only dreamspark premium offer it free, and I think only Windows 8 would be on offer nowadays. Only computer related courses can have the dreamspark premium membership afaik

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you work in PC sales and do your Microsoft proved eLearning they sometimes give free copies away.

To the average person I know not of a way beyond a special university accommodation and that's case by case basis. Clemson in SC will image your laptop with windows 7 and all your department required software for free... well its in your tuition basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

The only free editions I have heard were through Universities. So, if you are a student, see if you can talk to the computer science department to establish if you are eligible.

A comp science student friend of mine had free status for many Microsoft products. No doubt if you ask a comp science student who does have the free access for a product key and they give you one, that student would be in for it if found out so that shouldn't be an option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MemZ

Sorry for hoggin your post with no help but I don't know how to start a new thread haha :( Anyway can anyone help me??
    How do I get a free windows installation

A bad update stopped windows from starting up! I've bought a new hard drive but windows was already installed on my old one so i didn't get a disc, anyone know where I can get the software or am I entitled to a free disc from Microsoft? My laptop is not even 2 years old and I've never dropped it or damaged it. The last time I shut it down it was running fine (apart from freezing twice within a week and never did before) then I tried turning it on and i got windows has failed, this could be due to recent changes! none of the F5 or F8 menus helped so I had to get a new one as I want to recover the data from my old one. So anyone have any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

yoyo wrote: »
    Only dreamspark premium offer it free, and I think only Windows 8 would be on offer nowadays. Only computer related courses can have the dreamspark premium membership afaik

Nick
    Thats what you'd think. Have a look at UCDs eligibility and you'll see very different. And before you wonder, yes it's been asked and confirmed it doesnt apply to CSc students:(
    I'd say its more down to who has the dosh to plump up for the premium membership and not necessarily the course title. Might even be industry sponsorred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

MemZ wrote: »
    How do I get a free windows installation

A bad update stopped windows from starting up! I've bought a new hard drive but windows was already installed on my old one so i didn't get a disc, anyone know where I can get the software or am I entitled to a free disc from Microsoft? My laptop is not even 2 years old and I've never dropped it or damaged it. The last time I shut it down it was running fine (apart from freezing twice within a week and never did before) then I tried turning it on and i got windows has failed, this could be due to recent changes! none of the F5 or F8 menus helped so I had to get a new one as I want to recover the data from my old one. So anyone have any suggestions?

Here's a list of download links for various edition of Windows 7.

Download the ISO of the version in accordance with the CoA sticker on your laptop. Burn the image to DVD, e.g. with ImgBurn).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

seamus wrote: »
    No, you can't get it free.

You can get Windows 8.1 Pro for £50 (which is like a 75% discount)
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.288533400

fml - I paid a load for my copy from Click instore -.-;

Cheers Torqay downloading now, can i do a USB install with this file, easier than burning a disc??

Cheers Torqay downloading now, can i do a USB install with this file, easier than burning a disc??

You can, this tool will do the job.

It says not found, page doesn't exist on server.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Anyway, here's the direct download link to the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool. This will create a bootable USB drive from the ISO.

You'll need at least a 4 GB stick.

Cheers dude, extremely helpful will let u no how it goes :D

The file wont download, might just get a disc off someone, thanks for your help tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I dont think ms is in business to give away windows os free.
    I think there was always discounts for students , of windows os and ms office.

http://software4students.ie/t/brand/microsoft-office-2013-software?gclid=CPPW5qq-sLoCFetf2wodO10A4Q

And demo versions of windows which last 1 month.
    My friend downloaded windows 7, and registered it using the license key on the windows 7 pc label.
    pc was purchased with windows 7 installed on it in 2011.

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    I dont think ms is in business to give away windows os free.

3Wf68.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

I have a dreamspark premium membership and I got 2 windows 8 keys and 1 windows 7 keys for free. I am in engineering in LIT. Email your computer services department and ask about it. I also get much more (keys for windows server!!)

Here is a list of the software available on premium.

http://e5.onthehub.com/WebStore/ProductsByMajorVersionList.aspx?cmi_mnuMain=bdba23cf-e05e-e011-971f-0030487d8897&ws=ccce16d3-619b-e011-969d-0030487d8897

Finally got the software downloaded, just a little unsure how to use the USB DVD tool, do I put both on the memory key and boot up the laptop or do i drop the iso file on top of it the USB tool?

Oh and I tried dreamspark Limericks but I'm in Sligo IT and they don't have connections with it for the students, looks like a great site tho might suggest that they get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Finally got the software downloaded, just a little unsure how to use the USB DVD tool, do I put both on the memory key and boot up the laptop or do i drop the iso file on top of it the USB tool?

Put the .iso file and the tool on (say the "Desktop") of working computer

( It will erase and format the USB key )

Start up the dvd tool:

- it will ask where the .iso file is
    - it will ask whether you want to make a dvd or sort out a usb key

If you select USB:

- it will warn that the USB key will be formatted & and all data on the USB key erased

Advertisement