Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 zooropa2012

Is there an official date for people receiving Saorview on the Mount Leinster and Waterford Transitter to when they will loose RTE One SD if they haven't done a rescan yet? I.e. Shutoff date. Will there also be a another rescan required in the future if TV3 HD and TG4 HD are launched?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Is there an official date for people receiving Saorview on the Mount Leinster and Waterford Transitter to when they will loose RTE One SD if they haven't done a rescan yet? I.e. Shutoff date. Will there also be a another rescan required in the future if TV3 HD and TG4 HD are launched?

3 weeks after the 21st October when the second mux was switched on so probably around the 11th November....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87114291&postcount=1

On the day Mux2 was switched on Saorview's Brian Geraghty said 3 weeks, the newspapers that day were saying 2 weeks, so either Mon 4th or Mon 11th. Nothing official.

Souriau posted that the programme information data (EIT) for the 3 simulcast channels ends at midnight on Mon 4th - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87261145&postcount=27

We don't know when TV3 HD or TG4 HD are launching or whether a rescan will be required when they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

The Cush wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87114291&postcount=1

On the day Mux2 was switched on Saorview's Brian Geraghty said 3 weeks, the newspapers that day were saying 2 weeks, so either Mon 4th or Mon 11th. Nothing official.

Souriau posted that the programme information data (EIT) for the 3 simulcast channels ends at midnight on Mon 4th - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87261145&postcount=27

We don't know when TV3 HD or TG4 HD are launching or whether a rescan will be required when they do.
    I rechecked the EIT data and found that the program info is going on past 5th, so look like is 11th

Souriau wrote: »
    I rechecked the EIT data and found that the program info is going on past 5th, so look like is 11th

Saorview's Brian Geraghty did say 3 weeks on the morning Mux2 was launched so that probably confirms it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

imagine the confusion this is causing to the elderly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭blastit

I found i have RTE1 at 11 but it says rescan. I did several scans but cannot get rte 1 at 1

blastit wrote: »
    I found i have RTE1 at 11 but it says rescan. I did several scans but cannot get rte 1 at 1

You're not receiving Multiplex 2 where RTÉ1 is carried, have you tried Peter Rhea suggestion from the other thread?

The Cush wrote: »
    You're not receiving Multiplex 2 where RTÉ1 is carried, have you tried Peter Rhea suggestion from the other thread?
    How do I know what frequency to enter ? There is a 6 digit number there now. Thanks

blastit wrote: »
    How do I know what frequency to enter ? There is a 6 digit number there now. Thanks

What is the six digit no.?
    Where are you located approx.?
    What is your nearest Saorview transmitter? Check here

• Advertisement

If I do not get mux 2 will I lose all chanells or just the RTE1 and other mux 2's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you get Mux 1 and not Mux 2 then one or more of the following is true:
    1) You have a rubbish TV aerial.
    2) The coax is damaged.
    3) You have a rubbish or overloaded mast amp or distribution amp.
    4) Your TV or set box is rubbish.
    5) You have not actually properly rescanned UHF Digital and saved changes.

It's basically impossible to have Mux1 and not Mux2 with any sort of reasonable equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shibers

I did a rescan as directed but my sky free to air positioned after the radio channels and has no volume. The picture is perfect but no volume, I moved it to No 9 but still no volume. I have volume on all the other saorview channels except the sky free to air, can somebody help please??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Post the make & model of your receiver & someone might be able to suggest something.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Post the make & model of your receiver & someone might be able to suggest something.

I have a nordmende tv compatible with saorview and a SKY digibox attached.

You mustn't have a spare HDMI or scart input for the Sky box then? And you're using the RF output? (The 'aerial' lead.)

If you have picture & no sound on an analogue channel, it will be because the wrong PAL variant is selected in the installation menu: it needs to be set to PAL I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hi, Ive read the whole thread and Im still in the dark sorry, I bought a Ferguson Ariva 250 for our house at home at the analog switchover, the reason I went with the box instead of a Saorview tv was purely for its recording abilities. I'm not at home at the moment to check but I successfully rescanned the box the other week to get rid of the rescan required message.

I only found out about Muxs 1 and 2 tonight and I read the entire thread and googled for it but I cant find any clear information on what this means for recording channels anymore, can someone please tell me what it means as I am leaving the country this week and I need to get this sorted for my parents who rely on the ability to record one channel and watch anohter.

What is the current setup of these muxes? Can they no longer record RTE1 and watch RTE2 at the same time? Can they record RTE2 and watch TV3 etc?

Where can I get this information?

Is there any hope of this being temporary and RTE1/RTE2/TV3 and TG4 ending up together on the one mux in future? (doesnt matter if HD or SD).

Please someone answer these questions as I really only have tomorrow to go shopping for a new box before I leave the country for a few weeks and I need to get this sorted.

Hi, Ive read the whole thread and Im still in the dark sorry, I bought a Ferguson Ariva 250 for our house at home at the analog switchover, the reason I went with the box instead of a Saorview tv was purely for its recording abilities. I'm not at home at the moment to check but I successfully rescanned the box the other week to get rid of the rescan required message.

I only found out about Muxs 1 and 2 tonight and I read the entire thread and googled for it but I cant find any clear information on what this means for recording channels anymore, can someone please tell me what it means as I am leaving the country this week and I need to get this sorted for my parents who rely on the ability to record one channel and watch anohter.

What is the current setup of these muxes? Can they no longer record RTE1 and watch RTE2 at the same time? Can they record RTE2 and watch TV3 etc?

Where can I get this information?

Is there any hope of this being temporary and RTE1/RTE2/TV3 and TG4 ending up together on the one mux in future? (doesnt matter if HD or SD).

Please someone answer these questions as I really only have tomorrow to go shopping for a new box before I leave the country for a few weeks and I need to get this sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

I did a rescan today on my Triax t2-hd 115, I lost everything except the 3 channels that where realigned as the reason for the rescan, RTE1, jr and +1. Any help as to how I get all the channels back, its the in-laws set top and they now only have these channels.

vanman99 wrote: »
    I did a rescan today on my Triax t2-hd 115, I lost everything except the 3 channels that where realigned as the reason for the rescan, RTE1, jr and +1. Any help as to how I get all the channels back, its the in-laws set top and they now only have these channels.
    Did you try manual scan/auto scan and complete reset? Is this an outdoor aerial?

• Advertisement

Attic aerial, all working fine before the rescan. Did a manual scan on channel 55 and auto scan, shows all radio and 3 rte channels mentioned. It then says nothing new added and 18 channels no longer transmitting.

Thargor wrote: »

The only services currently on mux 2 are RTE1, RTE1 +1 & RTE jr. The others are still where they always were, along with the soon-to-be-switched-off versions of the mux 2 services.

A single tuner can only decode 1 mux: if you're recording something on that mux, you can only watch something else on the same mux.

There will be no going back to the original situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

i just posted in a similar thread, i was going to buy the walker recordable box for saorview channels, thinking i could at least watch one channel and record another,
    am i right in thinking that this is not an option after all this moving around the channels?

cranefly wrote: »
    i just posted in a similar thread, i was going to buy the walker recordable box for saorview channels, thinking i could at least watch one channel and record another,
    am i right in thinking that this is not an option after all this moving around the channels?

This Walker receiver? http://www.walker.ie/products/WP6500TTR-HD.html

It's a twin tuner box & you can watch/record anything, no matter how many muxes the programmes are spread across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

thanks for that peter rhea, i thought as much, a guy called iba on another thread said you can not watch one and record another on the walker box, i had a feeling you could but just wanted to make sure

Attic aerial, all working fine before the rescan. Did a manual scan on channel 55 and auto scan, shows all radio and 3 rte channels mentioned. It then says nothing new added and 18 channels no longer transmitting.
    Can't help you so, I started this thread still no RTE1.

Did you do a reset. i cannot recall term it brings it back to first installation I think. Wipes everything and you start again as far as i know

watty wrote: »
    5) You have not actually properly rescanned UHF Digital and saved changes.
    what do you mean i rescanned it as in the onscreen prompts

You mustn't have a spare HDMI or scart input for the Sky box then? And you're using the RF output? (The 'aerial' lead.)

If you have picture & no sound on an analogue channel, it will be because the wrong PAL variant is selected in the installation menu: it needs to be set to PAL I.

That sounds about right, I've searched the menu but cannot find PAL anywhere, went through the menu and the remote buttons but can't seem to find it

It's probably taken care of by the country setting. This shouldn't have changed unless you did a 'factory reset' & didn't set up for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is MUX 2 active via Woodcock Hill?
    I've just rescanned via my Tuner and all I can find is the current MUX 1 channels albeit with some marked as rescan required but I am unable to find anything from MUX 2.
    What frequency and bandwidth is MUX 2 using from woodcock hill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

banie01 wrote: »
    Is MUX 2 active via Woodcock Hill?
    I've just rescanned via my Tuner and all I can find is the current MUX 1 channels albeit with some marked as rescan required but I am unable to find anything from MUX 2.
    What frequency and bandwidth is MUX 2 using from woodcock hill?

Channel 44 freq is 658MHz. Where is your aerial, attic or outdoor

DeadSkin wrote: »

Bandwidth is 8MHz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

had a quick look at the aerial today with the ladder but still very windy to do any moving. aerial is this the triax version of this(no longer made seemingly).
    https://www.satellitetv.ie/saorview_rte_aerials/saorview_long_range_aerial and it had deteriorated a lot in 3 years. Its black(and green) with dirt and moss from the rain.
    given that its not on the chimney and signal level is reading at 44% I might be better off if kippure does work by getting a kippure group c aerial and putting that up something like this with the pre-amp thats up already?
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/green-group-cd-uhf-aerial.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Bandwidth is 8MHz

Manual scan on 658mhz pulled in the new MUX, strange that an autoscan is only finding the MUX 1 channels.
    Aerial is attic type but I am in direct line of sight to WC Hill and within 6km of the transmitter.

. . . aerial is this the triax version of this(no longer made seemingly).
    https://www.satellitetv.ie/saorview_rte_aerials/saorview_long_range_aerial

The aerial pictured there is a Triax SR18. This is an Antiference XT48.

You posted before that it is a group B aerial. Kippure mux 1 on channel 54 is just above the top end of group B & the frequency response doesn't cut off that sharply. It should give you an indication as to whether it is worth your while changing to Kippure.

• Advertisement

How long is the old RTE1 on MUX1 expected to last does anyone know? Down in Galway if that makes any difference.

How long is the old RTE1 on MUX1 expected to last does anyone know? Down in Galway if that makes any difference.

Think someone mentioned when Mux2 was launched it would be about 3 weeks. Maybe in a week or so!

You'd think they could leave an SD channel running to avoid this crap. Hopefully someone will find some workaround like that the way they found that blank Aertel channel still running a while ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Apogee

You'd think they could leave an SD channel running to avoid this crap. Hopefully someone will find some workaround like that the way they found that blank Aertel channel still running a while ago.

That's just wishful thinking to be honest . It was inevitable that as more channels came on stream and more channels go hd that a twin tuner dtt tuner setup was required for full recording flexibility. It was just good fortune up until now that all channels shared the same mux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭kooga

I can assist all my family and friends with their successful saorview rescans but alas for myself.

Anyway did the in-laws today they live about 200m down the road interesting results

outdoor aerial v polarisation mux 1 channel 50 v Collins barracks mux 2 49 spur hill h!

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

The 'blank Aertel channel' is actually the encrypted RTE that appears on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

The aerial pictured there is a Triax SR18. This is an Antiference XT48.

You posted before that it is a group B aerial. Kippure mux 1 on channel 54 is just above the top end of group B & the frequency response doesn't cut off that sharply. It should give you an indication as to whether it is worth your while changing to Kippure.

yes apologies Peter dont know what happended with the link there.
    it is this model - the triax.

http://www.digital4you.co.uk/products/TRIAX_SUPERGAIN_18_ELEMENT_GRP-94-10.html

HELP - I did a rescan on a Triax t2-hd 115, I lost almost all channels, (all working fine before), only tunes 3 channels now RTE1, jr and +1. Any help how I get all the channels back, I've done a first install, manual tuning, auto tuning. Channel 55 + 49 Maghera region. Was helping out the in-laws set top and it looks like I just broke their box......not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Maghera is Ch48 and 55

Sorry correction, 48 & 55.

Was helping out the in-laws set top and it looks like I just broke their box......not good.

You haven't broken their box but you appear to have a signal reception problem with Mux1 (Ch 48). This is the frequency that carries the other channels such as RTÉ2 etc.

Most of the problems associated with this change appear to be aerial related. Can you describe the aerial setup they use, indoor/outdoor etc.? Recommended transmitter? Their approx. location?

Someone here had a similar problem last week and traced their problem to the co-ax plug into the box, once the plug was remade all returned to normal.

If you're using an indoor aerial try moving it a little to see if you can get the Mux1 signal back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged a number of other threads on the same topic (losing RTÉ One after the rescan) into this thread.

Can we keep all the rescan discussion here. Because people are refusing to use the sticky, the rule now comes into play that future threads will be closed instead of merged.

The aerial pictured there is a Triax SR18. This is an Antiference XT48 . . .
    yes apologies Peter dont know what happended with the link there.
    it is this model - the triax.

http://www.digital4you.co.uk/products/TRIAX_SUPERGAIN_18_ELEMENT_GRP-94-10.html

Yes, the 'Supergain' or SG. (SR18 that I posted is actually a Blake aerial.)

Latest version of Triax seems to be the 'Digi 18', channels 21-60, 'with built-in LTE filter'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭galtee boy

What messing around are RTE doing with Saorview ? Almost every day, and more than once a day, since Mux 2 was switched on, when I switch on my tv, a Panasonic, I get the New Channels Found message, press ok to scan etc, but obviously no new channels show up, so why does the tv keep thinking new channels have been found ?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭peking97

galtee boy wrote: »
    What messing around are RTE doing with Saorview ? Almost every day, and more than once a day, since Mux 2 was switched on, when I switch on my tv, a Panasonic, I get the New Channels Found message, press ok to scan etc, but obviously no new channels show up, so why does the tv keep thinking new channels have been found ?

I think that may be related to the SSU Data channels. They seem to be coming and going somewhat intermittently of late. As a workaround you can always disable the new channel notification. HTH.

• Advertisement
Advertisement