Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Souness

Hoping someone on here might be able to help me. Folks have two saorview TVs. One with a Triax combi box and the other a Sumsung TV with inbuilt tuner. Rescanned the Triax without any problem, RTE1HD, junior and +1 all coming in in right position.
    However, when I rescan the Samsung it does not pick up any of the MUX 2 channels, it just shows RTE1, junior and +1 after the MUX 1 channels with the rescan message still present.

From extensive googling I am none the wiser.

I have tried the following
      Manual scan on channel 55, Maghera transmitter as it is only 20km away Factory reset the TV Tried to tune it in from the aerial point the other TV is at

So I am pretty sure it is down to the TV. One thing I did find on a UK forum was the possibility that the MUX2 signal was too strong and it was overloading the tuner. Has anyone experienced this or would anyone know why this TV gets MUX1 and not 2?

Any help would be great, going a bit mad here.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Souness wrote: »
    So I am pretty sure it is down to the TV. One thing I did find on a UK forum was the possibility that the MUX2 signal was too strong and it was overloading the tuner. Has anyone experienced this or would anyone know why this TV gets MUX1 and not 2?

Any help would be great, going a bit mad here.

Yes I experienced this with a Sony TV and a Walker Soarview PVR at the same TV point, the signal was too strong for the Walker box, down to how well the 2 different tuners handle the signal.

I assume that close to the transmitter you don't have a masthead amp?
    Are you using an external or indoor aerial?
    How is the aerial signal split to the different TV points?

Thanks cush for getting back so quickly.

In answer to your questions,

Correct there is no amp
    Aerial is external
    The main connection is the one with the Triax box, splitter used to bring signal down to other TV. But as I tried to tune it at the main point as well I dont think its the cable that's at fault.

What signal strength/quality levels does the TV's meter display at the 2 TV points?

On checking there is a large discrepancy

Main point - 78

Other - 18

But having said that there have been occasions where the weak or no signal message caem up but in the norm reception has been v good.

On checking there is a large discrepancy

Main point - 78

Other - 18

But having said that there have been occasions where the weak or no signal message caem up but in the norm reception has been v good.

What does the 78 and 18 represent, signal quality or strength?

Sorry, those are the signal strength.
    Not sure if this is the quality figure but it shows a bit rate error of 0.

those are the signal strength.
    Not sure if this is the quality figure but it shows a bit rate error of 0.

I assume % readings, 18 would be way too low and 78 could be borderline for a constant stable signal. Unfortunately we don't know what the % figures actually represents in dBμV. The Triax tuner may be able to deal with a weaker signal better than the Samsung TV. A stable bit error rate (BER) of 0 indicates a good quality signal but if the signal strength is low it can fall over quickly.

What is the reading for the RTÉ2 Mux?

Problem could be with the aerial, aerial alignment, cabling etc.

Is RTE2 Mux1? It is Mux 1 figures that I gave as I cannot get any Mux2 signal on the samsung.
    Dont really know enough about the whole setup to give you any decent info. Was installed by a guy from newmarket, folks said a v professional lad who came recommended by neighbours so imagine he set the aerial up correctly. Thinking maybe need to ask him to call out....

• Advertisement

Was installed by a guy from newmarket, folks said a v professional lad who came recommended by neighbours so imagine he set the aerial up correctly. Thinking maybe need to ask him to call out....

Could the aerial have moved in the recent stormy weather? I'd get him back to recheck the aerial installation.

Dont think it moved, the rescan problem with samsung was there back in October when I first tried it. Was trying again today because RTE have started putting a notice on the mux1 rte1 at 11 that it will be turned off on April 2nd.
    Will get on to installation guy and see if he can drop out.
    Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

Dont think it moved, the rescan problem with samsung was there back in October when I first tried it. Was trying again today because RTE have started putting a notice on the mux1 rte1 at 11 that it will be turned off on April 2nd.

Yes there have been similar posts here since the second mux launched and most if not all appear to be aerial related. The 2 frequencies have highlighted flaws in certain aerial installations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Guys, had a neighbour call with me today (he knows nothing at all about tvs) and he tells me that some sort of banner message has appeared on RTE1 (I think) stating that he will loose service on 13th March unless he does something or other and he said that there was a telephone number to call.

As I say he doesnt understand these things and I have to pop round to him in the next day or two to have a look. I assume that its just a simple rescan thats involved. Would that be correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

"This channel will not be available at this channel number after Tuesday 11th March.
    To continue viewing, you will need to re-scan your SAORVIEW equipment. If you need assistance please visit www.saorview.ie for more information or call 1890-222012. Thank you."

on rtejr today on a channel with no EPG.

The fun starts again !!
    Regards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

You would think people would have got the message before now, what with the name disappearing from the EPG & 'rescan required' appearing where the programme info used to be.

Just a simple rescan needed although, there seem to be some thoroughly awful aerial installations around, offering no margin to cope with any change from the conditions in which they were set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    "This channel will not be available at this channel number after Tuesday 11th March.
    To continue viewing, you will need to re-scan your SAORVIEW equipment. If you need assistance please visit www.saorview.ie for more information or call 1890-222012. Thank you."

on rtejr today on a channel with no EPG.

The fun starts again !!
    Regards

can't wait till next tuesday!! more carnage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Here is a page about it which I found here on the Saorview website. According to that page it says you can re-scan the Saorview channels NOW at any time before the 11th of March.
    What if I have not yet re-scanned?
    If you have not re-scanned as was suggested in October, please do so before 11th March 2014 or you will lose the RTÉ One +1 and RTÉ Jr channels from your range of channel options.

http://www.saorview.ie/help-support/faqs/need-help-with-the-saorview-re-scan/

I think this re-scan business will be easy for those 'in the know'. It will be definitely be a detriment to those who are the opposite though.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds when I come home this evening.

Here is a page about it which I found here on the Saorview website. According to that page it says you can re-scan the Saorview channels NOW at any time before the 11th of March.

The rescan could have been done at any time since mux 2 started, months ago.

Since mux 2 came on, the original mux 1 versions of RTE1, RTE1 +1 & RTE jr., have been displaying 'rescan required' in the programme info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

... According to that page it says you can re-scan the Saorview channels NOW at any time before the 11th of March.
    And after the 11th you MUST do a re-scan (if you haven't done it beforehand). Nothing will break if you forget. It's just that you won't be able to view RTE1 or RTEjr/RTE +1 ;)

With the non approved stupid,stupid set top box I have there is a choice after a rescan --- leave the channel on RTE 1 HD and it removes RTE 2 HD or leave the channel on RTE 2 HD and it removes RTE 1 HD !!!
    Right now I can still get RTE 1 SD and RTE 2 HD but after the 11th --- tears tears.
    Now I wonder what will happen in April !!

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Skull Murphy

Now I wonder what will happen in April !!

Check yer horoscope?! What are you expecting to happen in April?

Check yer horoscope?! What are you expecting to happen in April?
    Read somewhere on here that more get switched off in April -- can't find it right now.

Regards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Skull Murphy

Read somewhere on here that more get switched off in April

If they switch off any more than just the duplicates, they will be reducing the channel count. Which ones do you think are switching off? :confused:

I'm searching for the post !!! Where's The Cush when you need him !!
    Regards

All that's being switched off are the original versions of RTE1, RTE1 +1 & RTE jr., that nobody should be using at this stage anyway.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    All that's being switched off are the original versions of RTE1, RTE1 +1 & RTE jr., that nobody should be using at this stage anyway.
    That's good --- maybe my box will behave differently when they are gone...
    Regards

Read somewhere on here that more get switched off in April -- can't find it right now.

It was posted here a few weeks ago that an on screen message on RTÉ1 SD (LCN 11) Mux1 said that channel would be switched off on April 2nd. I haven't seen that particular message.

The question now is are they switching off the duplicate channels in 2 stages March 11th for RTÉjr and RTÉ1+1 and April 2nd for RTÉ1 SD. Only RTÉjr and RTÉ1+1 are displaying the March 11th message. Also this Saorview webpage is indicating only these 2 channels ending on that date "If you have not re-scanned as was suggested in October, please do so before 11th March 2014 or you will lose the RTÉ One +1 and RTÉ Jr channels from your range of channel options".

Also noticed today there is no MHEG-5 text for these 3 duplicate channels or off-air MHEG-5 caption for RTÉjr and RTÉ1+1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭seanin4711

am i the only one?

seanin4711 wrote: »
    am i the only one?

No, many similar problems posted here since the channels launched on Mux2 a few months ago.

Mostly aerial related problems.

What Saorview receiver are you using?
    What aerial are you using, indoor/outdoor?

The Cush wrote: »
    It was posted here a few weeks ago that an on screen message on RTÉ1 SD (LCN 11) Mux1 said that channel would be switched off on April 2nd. I haven't seen that particular message.
    Knew I'd seen it somewhere --- thanks.
    Regards

• Advertisement

The sooner they get rid of RTÉ1 SD the better it seems
    Statement Regarding Transmission Fault on RTÉ One Last Night

Tuesday 4th March, 12.24pm

Statement Regarding Transmission Fault- on RTÉ One Monday 3rd March:

We’d like to apologise for last night’s transmission error on RTÉ One which was caused by an equipment failure in hardware installed in December as part of the RTÉ One HD project.

Transmission for those watching on standard definition (SD) was interrupted for just over 13 minutes. The automated system had to be manually overridden and this delayed the glitch being rectified. The transmission on RTÉ One HD was not affected.

The full interview with the Russian Ambassador and the subsequent studio discussion will be available on RTÉ Player later today.

http://www.rte.ie/presspack/2014/03/04/statement-regarding-transmission-fault-on-rte-one-last-night/?platform=47&start=1393632000&end=1394236799

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26431150

No, many similar problems posted here since the channels launched on Mux2 a few months ago.

Mostly aerial related problems.

What Saorview receiver are you using?
    What aerial are you using, indoor/outdoor?

As above
    Outdoor aerial in attic,no problems until yesterday rescan and now nothing.
    Bummer

Outdoor aerial in attic,no problems until yesterday rescan and now nothing.

Borderline reception issue, maybe try moving the aerial in the attic to a spot where might be better otherwise you may have to move the aerial outside.

Borderline reception issue, maybe try moving the aerial in the attic to a spot where might be better otherwise you may have to move the aerial outside.

No issue previously and aerial has not moved
    Thanks

No issue previously and aerial has not moved
    Thanks

If you could attach a professional signal meter to the aerial I'm assuming the signal strength/quality readings would be borderline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The sooner they get rid of RTÉ1 SD the better it seems

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26431150

Literally the most embarrassing fcuk up RTE have ever made so far this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Message on RTE 1+1.

297096.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They could've just put a red "11/03 X" in the corner :p

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dmcdream

Hi folks,

I live in south Belfast, and since switchover have been receiving Saorview from Clermont Carn with no problems.

Unfortunately, since the launch of RTE 1 HD and RTE1 +1, I have begun encountering issues with momentary "freezing" of the picture and sound. Luckily I'm still receiving RTE1's SD output on another channel, and it's coming through fine, along with the rest of the Saorview service. Although, by the sound of it, I'm in for problems after 11th March.

I am using a Walker WP12DTB-R Receiver, connected to a 12 year old vertically polarised ‘Group C/D’ aerial erected on the roof of my home, complete with mast-head amplifier.

Could anyone shed some light on what the problem might be? I'd be grateful for any advice anyone has.

Many Thanks!

• Advertisement

Didn't you ask this already? (Not in the right place.) Reply from myself here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89287088&postcount=2817

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bjfmd

dipol signal hd 507, i keep rescanning this but it shows rte 1 still needs to be rescanned, any help please, thank you

bjfmd wrote: »
    dipol signal hd 507, i keep rescanning this but it shows rte 1 still needs to be rescanned, any help please, thank you

Two possible reasons, either the Mux2 signal isn't good enough from your aerial setup to store the channels or the channels are already stored after the existing Mux1 channels.

Check the full list of channels stored and look for duplicate channels RTÉ1 and RTÉ1+1/RTÉjr.

If the new channels are stored at the end of the list, delete the old channels and manually move the new channels into the correct location.

If the channels are not stored you will have to look at your aerial setup to see how reception can be improved. What type of aerial are you using now, indoor/outdoor/attic?

The duplicate stream on Mux1 carrying the RTÉ Junior and RTÉ1 +1 channels (LCNs 17 & 18) came to an end @ approx 0215 this morning, after Oireachtas Report.

Pics taken yesterday.

ddm4c1.jpg

jt9lw9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

When is RTÉ 1 SD going?

When is RTÉ 1 SD going?
    Well, the now/next EPG data says re-scan required and it is on a 12 hour timer expiring at midnight. But they could extend this on a day by day basis. The schedule EPG data (for events after the now/next programme) has as its last entry 4/3/2014 and they haven't changed it since. It would appear to be imminent. Presume they will put a video overlay on the channel as per Cush's post.
    RTEjr is gone from Mux1.

edit - previous posts indicate April 2nd may be the switch off date. It's of no significance as you should already be using the RTE1 HD signal from the second mux. Why 2RN (or RTE) are dragging this on for so long is beyond me. The UK population have been through multiple re-scans of Freeview while networks were re-balanced right through the run-up to ASO and afterwards. Why do we need this continually extending deadline when we have only one transmission standard (not two like the UK for SD and HD where they need to maintain both versions) and all boxes should be ok with a re-scan.

• Advertisement

When is RTÉ 1 SD going?

I posted this last week - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89303418&postcount=828

fat-tony wrote: »
    The UK population have been through multiple re-scans of Freeview while networks were re-balanced right through the run-up to ASO and afterwards. Why do we need this continually extending deadline when we have only one transmission standard (not two like the UK for SD and HD where they need to maintain both versions) and all boxes should be ok with a re-scan.

Very true --- except over here in the UK we didn't have channels duplicated between muxes.
    It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if that had been the case ...
    Regards.

That's sort of my point, really. RTE (or 2RN) created this monster by firing up the same channel(s) on both muxes. Perhaps done with the best of intentions but it has led to this "death by a thousand cuts" scenario, where they keep announcing "we're going to switch this channel off", then saying "ok, we were only messing before, but we're definitely going to switch it off this time". People had no motivation to re-scan other than the loss of EPG. The fact that there were two version of RTE 1 when people re-scanned must have led to confusion also.
    They should have just pulled the plug when the first deadline expired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

fat-tony wrote: »
    That's sort of my point, really. RTE (or 2RN) created this monster by firing up the same channel(s) on both muxes. Perhaps done with the best of intentions but it has led to this "death by a thousand cuts" scenario, where they keep announcing "we're going to switch this channel off", then saying "ok, we were only messing before, but we're definitely going to switch it off this time". People had no motivation to re-scan other than the loss of EPG. The fact that there were two version of RTE 1 when people re-scanned must have led to confusion also.
    They should have just pulled the plug when the first deadline expired.

Totally agree as some boxes and tvs keep picking back up the old signals and on some ariva boxes it causes the channels to get mixed up again unless u leave the old signals there at the end....bout time they removed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eh426

I see the title of this thread describes the launch of a new Irish mux so this seems as close to an appropriate place as I can get. Could someone please tell me, or tell me how I can find out, how many mux are operating in the Republic of Ireland, whether any of them are dvbt 2 and which compression software they use.

Thank you

Edward

• Advertisement
Advertisement