Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

eh426 wrote: »
    I see the title of this thread describes the launch of a new Irish mux so this seems as close to an appropriate place as I can get. Could someone please tell me, or tell me how I can find out, how many mux are operating in the Republic of Ireland, whether any of them are dvbt 2 and which compression software they use.

Thank you

Edward

AFAIK there might be three but its looking unlikely.

All DVBT2 TVs are compatible with Saorview. But no suggestion Soarview will go DVBT2.

What standard is used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

eh426 wrote: »
    I see the title of this thread describes the launch of a new Irish mux so this seems as close to an appropriate place as I can get. Could someone please tell me, or tell me how I can find out, how many mux are operating in the Republic of Ireland, whether any of them are dvbt 2 and which compression software they use.

2 PSB Muxes are licensed to RTÉ and operated by 2RN/RTÉNL - http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/digital_broadcasting.542.517.html.

The DVB-T standard is used, there are no current plans to use DVB-T2.
    Saorview uses the MPEG-4 video compression standard.
    Interactive and teletext uses the MHEG-5 standard.

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1413.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭egal

Elmo wrote: »

All DVBT2 TVs are compatible with Saorview.
    Not quite true. Picture and sound will be received OK but other services (text, etc.) may not be received correctly or at all unless set is also Saorview approved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not at all true. There are probably many DVB-T2 TVs not fully compatible with Saorview.

The reason for a certification process is because "MPEG-2", "MHEG-5", "DVB-T", "DVB-T2", "AAC" & "MPEG-4" all have too many variations and interpretations. Without certification it's impossible to know.

There is no assurance that there wouldn't be problems even with video and audio without certification.

Channels are allocated for 6 mux with public publishing of site allocations for four mux. Only two in use. If there is demand four or even 6 could be used for FTA TV.

Saorview now includes Nordig's DVB-T2 (for certification of new models). But there are no plans to use DVB-T2. Older Saorview TVs and boxes do not have to have DVB-T2. All must have every other Nordig aspect but with MHEG5 rather than MHP. MHP is pretty dead outside of Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

The Cush wrote: »
    The duplicate stream on Mux1 carrying the RTÉ Junior and RTÉ1 +1 channels (LCNs 17 & 18) came to an end @ approx 0215 this morning, after Oireachtas Report.

Pics taken yesterday.

ddm4c1.jpg

jt9lw9.jpg

Why didn't Saorview use these captions on the run up to ASO in October 2012 instead of that little red x in the bottom right corner

Why didn't Saorview use these captions on the run up to ASO in October 2012 instead of that little red x in the bottom right corner

Oh! if only. The DCENR said that they couldn't get RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 to do this, and that it would not be proper ask (I know they didn't ask so how do they know and why didn't they just force them on it). So instead they decided to pay money to an advertising company. They had so many excuses not to use on screen captions during ASO/DSO.

TV3 resisted using the X up to the very end, though the DCENR said they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Hope this is the right place to ask for advice on this problem.

I seem to have lost all DTT channels except RTE1 and RTE1+1. Strangely, this has only happened on my pc card receiver. (My other normal receiver is fine.)

The faulty one is showing signal strengths of ~80%, the name of the now and next programme and how much of the current programme has been transmitted ...but no video or sound. A rescan only picks up RTE1 and RTE 1+1.

Both receivers are coming off the same aerial.

Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Hope this is the right place to ask for advice on this problem.

I seem to have lost all DTT channels except RTE1 and RTE1+1. Strangely, this has only happened on my pc card receiver. (My other normal receiver is fine.)

I'd check the pc card at the other working TV point, it might indicate a signal strength/quality issue at the pc card point.

A testcard has now appeared on the old RTÉjr Mux 1 LCN 17, black screen for 18.

Current Saorview multiplex line-up
    Multiplex 1
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    11|no channel name (RTÉ 1 simulcast)|SD|temporary, going on April 2nd
    02|RTÉ Two|HD|
    03|TV3|SD|
    04|TG4|SD|
    05|3e|SD|
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD|
    17*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|previously RTÉ Junior simulcast
    18*|(no channel name )|SD|previously RTÉ1 +1 simulcast
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|Radio|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|Radio|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|Radio|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|Radio|
    204|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta|Radio|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|Radio|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|Radio
    207*|(not used)||previously RTÉ Choice
    208|RTÉ Gold|Radio|
    209|RTÉ Junior/RTÉ Chill|Radio

Multiplex 2
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    01|RTÉ One|HD|
    12*| (no channel name/testcard) |HD|
    13*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    14*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|TG4 subtitles and teletext previously
    15*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    16|(not used)||
    07|RTÉ Junior**|SD|
    08|RTÉ One +1**|SD|
    211-212*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|no audio
    213*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    214*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    215-220*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|no audio

Channel line-up by LCN on a Saorview TV setup with Ireland as the country/region on first install
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    Mux
    |
    01|RTÉ One|HD|2|
    02|RTÉ Two|HD|1|
    03|TV3|SD|1|
    04|TG4|SD|1|
    05|3e|SD|1|
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD|1|
    07|RTÉ Junior**|SD|2|
    08|RTÉ One +1**|SD|2|
    09-10|(not used)|||
    11|no channel name (RTÉ 1 simulcast)|SD|1|temporary, going on April 2nd
    12*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|
    13*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    14*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|TG4 subtitles and teletext tested previously
    15*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2| RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    16|(not used)|||
    17*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|1|previously RTÉ Junior simulcast
    18*|(no channel name )|SD|1|previously RTÉ1 +1 simulcast
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|Radio|1|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|Radio|1|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|Radio|1|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|Radio|1|
    204|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta|Radio|1|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|Radio|1|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|Radio|1|
    207*|(no service carried)||1|previously RTÉ Choice
    208|RTÉ Gold|Radio|1|
    209|RTÉ Junior/RTÉ Chill|Radio|1|
    210|(not used)||
    211-212*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|no audio
    213*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    214*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    215-220*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|no audio

* Hidden on Saorview receivers but can be selected by entering the channel no. via the remote control
    ** RTÉ Junior 0700-1845 approx / RTÉ One +1 1900-0100/0200 approx. Timesharing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

A testcard has now appeared on the old RTÉjr Mux 1 LCN 17,

Bit early for a place holder for UTVI !

• Advertisement

galtee boy wrote: »
    Bit early for a place holder for UTVI !

Maybe next Nov/Dec when everything is agreed and its LCN on the Saorview is sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Maybe next Nov/Dec when everything is agreed and its LCN on the Saorview is sorted.

Out of curiosity, do you think that UTVI will end up on " channel no.9" in other words , last on the Saorview Epg, behind RTE1+1 ?

galtee boy wrote: »
    do you think that UTVI will end up on " channel no.9" in other words , last on the Saorview Epg, behind RTE1+1 ?

My guess at this time would be LCN 6, after the other general entertainment channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They ought to have 5

or

3 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Thank God they sorted the power output on Mux 2 at Mt Leinster. It has been at least 20% less than Mux 1 over the past week or so.

STB wrote: »
    Thank God they sorted the power output on Mux 2 at Mt Leinster. It has been at least 20% less than Mux 1 over the past week or so.

There was some scheduled maintenance there according to Aertel p169.

My guess at this time would be LCN 6, after the other general entertainment channels.

Have the BAI published their EPG guidelines yet?
    LCN 6? Why has RTÉ One +1 not been pushed to before RTÉ News Now?

Does anyone see it as odd that there are many websites around informing people that the simulcast versions of RTÉ 1, +1 and RTÉjr were switching off on various dates but nothing on http://www.2rn.ie/broadcast/saorview-digital-tv/ or http://www.saorview.ie/?

Even Jerry Buttimer TD, Chairman of the Oireachtas Health Committee has it on his website but nothing informing viewers on the the websites of the company running Saorview :confused:
    Saorview re-scan must be completed by April 2 – Buttimer

13 March 2014

•Saorview television viewers to complete the re-scan process by April 2, 2014 to ensure that they continue receive RTE One.

All TV viewers who use the Saorview service must ensure that they re-scan their televisions before April 2 so that they continue to receive RTÉ One. Last December Saorview launched RTÉ One in HD format, following this launch the broadcast of the standard format of the station will cease. For viewers to continue to receive RTÉ One they must ensure that they have completed the re-scan process, full details of which are available on www.saorview.ie.

Preparations for the launch of RTÉ One HD began last October, since then over 60% of households have already completed the re-scan process. For all of those who have already re-scanned their televisions and are now receiving RTÉ One HD there is no need to do it again. Only those households who have not re-scanned their televisions must do so before April 2.

On screen messaging will appear from Tuesday March 25 as a further reminder of the need to complete this process. Over the next three weeks I would encourage everybody to check with friends and neighbours who may need help in completing this process to ensure that they can continue to access RTÉ One television.

Since the switch of analogue television signals in October 2012 Saorview has enabled TV viewers to access high quality digital TV. Over the coming months and years the Saorview service will continue to be developed, it is expected that later this year a HD version of TG4 will be launched. Each of these developments will require a re-scan so that viewers can continue to receive the latest high quality free-to-air television. Over the next three weeks I hope we can all work together to ensure that everyone can continue to view RTÉ One beyond April 2 without interruption.

- See more at: http://jerrybuttimer.ie/2014/03/13/saorview-re-scan-must-be-completed-by-april-2-buttimer/#sthash.9dUx5jB2.dpuf

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/rescan-saorview-or-you-may-lose-stations-30064218.html
    60% of the 620,000 households with digital television service have already re-scanned , so for the remaining 40% the re-scan is necessary to ensure the continued reception of RTÉ One, RTÉ Jr. and RTÉ +1 channels, which are available to 98% of households across Ireland. Deadline dates for the completion of the rescan are:

■Tuesday 11th March 2014 for RTÉ Jr. and RTÉ +1
    ■Wednesday 2nd April 2014 for RTÉ One

It will be clear whether a re-scan is required by viewing channels 7 or 8 and checking the ‘now & next’ information on the bottom of the screen. From Monday, 3rd March viewers who need to re-scan will see a message come up on screen for RTÉ Jr and RTÉ One +1 and from Tuesday, 25th March a similar message will appear on RTÉ One (standard definition) – customers are advised to follow the instructions on screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Didn't notice Mt Leinster being on reduced power.
    Question : Are there any house holds over there who don't have HD terrestrial equipment and have been missing, but quite happy living without, RTE 2 and will be loosing RTE 1 as well ?
    There are many house holds over here that have SD only receivers but BBC1 HD etc is transmitted along side BBC1 SD etc.
    Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    Didn't notice Mt Leinster being on reduced power.
    Question : Are there any house holds over there who don't have HD terrestrial equipment and have been missing, but quite happy living without, RTE 2 and will be loosing RTE 1 as well ?
    There are many house holds over here that have SD only receivers but BBC1 HD etc is transmitted along side BBC1 SD etc.
    Regards.
    You don't need HD equipment, specifically. The Saorview approved receiver/STB is required to decode SD and HD signals and present them to the TV via SCART or HDMI, so it is compatible with older CRT or flat screen TVs which are not HD ready. SD and HD are transmitted over DVB-T using MPEG-4, so you have both flavours in one multiplex.
    The UK situation is different in that SD is transmitted over DVB-T using MPEG-2 and HD is transmitted over DVB-T2 using MPEG-4, so older Freeview equipment is not compatible with HD. BBC etc have to maintain simultaneous SD and HD transmissions until such time as all receiving equipment is HD compatible.

That said, there may be some viewers in Ireland using el cheapo receivers (non Saorview approved) which can't process HD resolutions so those will lose the RTE1 signal.

Oscarziggy wrote: »

I'd doubt there are any remaining, back in Dec 2010 when RTÉ2 switched to 1080x1440 HD there were a few MPEG-4 receivers such as the Sky Picnic and a Triax receiver that couldn't do MPEG4 HP@L4 HD, only L3 SD. A week or so after the switchover RTÉNL launched a temporary low-quality RTÉ2 SD channel to allow those with non-compatible STBs time to upgrade their receivers. The temporary channel ceased about 4 months later.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056107911

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

fat-tony (or just Tony !!) and The Cush
    thanks for the explanation in fact my first RTE digital receiver was a Picnic box being offloaded in the UK for £20. It worked well and is now joining other boxes in the attic.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Does anyone see it as odd that there are many websites around informing people that the simulcast versions of RTÉ 1, +1 and RTÉjr were switching off on various dates but nothing on http://www.2rn.ie/broadcast/saorview-digital-tv/ or http://www.saorview.ie/?
    Eh, I think you may have missed: http://www.saorview.ie/help-support/faqs/need-help-with-the-saorview-re-scan/
    What if I have not yet re-scanned?
    If you have not re-scanned as was suggested in October, please do so before 2nd April 2014 in order to continue to enjoy RTÉ One on SAORVIEW.

Yes I did, never thought to dig my way into the FAQs. There should be a more prominent fixed link on the front page. Didn't need it myself but was thinking of people who will have difficulty with the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

300205.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 steviegall

hi there im having a bit of a problem and cant seem to fix it

when i first heard of this back in oct/nov i rescanned my box and got nothing new so i thought maybe it just hasnt made it to the transmitter we are pointed at and since yesterday we got the cue to rescan our box again but still nothing new

just to clarify i live in strabane on the border with lifford co.donegal and have always been able to get roi stations

its only rte 1 we have the problem with so i assume all the other channels will be ok but my mother watches mostly rte 1

we have a box capable of receiving hd signals(i made sure of that when i bought it) so up until now we have been getting saorview fine

im fairly sure we are pointed at the ballybofey transmitters if that makes any difference

so my problem in short is that im worried ill lose rte 1 as when i rescan i dont get anything different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

steviegall wrote: »
    hi there im having a bit of a problem and cant seem to fix it

when i first heard of this back in oct/nov i rescanned my box and got nothing new so i thought maybe it just hasnt made it to the transmitter we are pointed at and since yesterday we got the cue to rescan our box again but still nothing new

just to clarify i live in strabane on the border with lifford co.donegal and have always been able to get roi stations

its only rte 1 we have the problem with so i assume all the other channels will be ok but my mother watches mostly rte 1

we have a box capable of receiving hd signals(i made sure of that when i bought it) so up until now we have been getting saorview fine

im fairly sure we are pointed at the ballybofey transmitters if that makes any difference

so my problem in short is that im worried ill lose rte 1 as when i rescan i dont get anything different

Exactly the same problem here in Co Down. I've rescanned a couple of times but still stuck with the original RTE1 with the annoying saorview banner! However I have lost an alternative RTE1 that used to be pixalated, it disappeared during the latest scan I did so maybe they are still doing something.. :confused:

Anyone know anything? I emailed Saorview and they just said to rescan and if that doesn't work call out someone to look at the aerial. :(

Most likely an aerial problem, many similar posts here since the 2nd multiplex launched late last year. Might need to be realigned on your nearest transmitter. Are you using an indoor or outdoor aerial?

Use the Saorview coverage checker to find the recommended transmitter for your location - http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/, input your postcode into the search box.

Multiplex 1
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    02|RTÉ Two|HD|
    03|TV3|SD|
    04|TG4|SD|
    05|3e|SD|
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD|
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|Radio|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|Radio|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|Radio|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|Radio|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|Radio
    208|RTÉ Gold|Radio|

Multiplex 2
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    01|RTÉ One|HD|
    16|(not used)||
    07|RTÉ Junior**|SD|
    08|RTÉ One +1**|SD|

* Hidden on Saorview receivers but can be selected by entering the channel no. via the remote control

sudzs wrote: »
    Exactly the same problem here in Co Down. I've rescanned a couple of times but still stuck with the original RTE1 with the annoying saorview banner! However I have lost an alternative RTE1 that used to be pixalated, it disappeared during the latest scan I did so maybe they are still doing something.. :confused:

Anyone know anything? I emailed Saorview and they just said to rescan and if that doesn't work call out someone to look at the aerial. :(

As with the previous post most likely an aerial/signal issue, a pixelated picture would indicate this.

Again, where is your aerial located and which transmitter is it pointing at? Using the Saorview coverage checker, which transmitter is recommended for your location? Input your postcode into the search box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

As with the previous post most likely an aerial/signal issue, a pixelated picture would indicate this.

Again, where is your aerial located and which transmitter is it pointing at? Using the Saorview coverage checker, which transmitter is recommended for your location? Input your postcode into the search box.

Thanks for the reply. It's an external aerial. Just had a look at the coverage checker and we're 8 miles from the Clermont Carn transmitter. So looks like someone has to go up on the roof?? :(

...and it was the RTE! on channel 1 that was pixelated and has now gone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

300205.jpg

This is how they should have informed people of Saorview in the first place and not bothered with Tommy and whatever the cat was called.

It would have been cheaper and more effective.

This is how they should have informed people of Saorview in the first place and not bothered with Tommy and whatever the cat was called.

It would have been cheaper and more effective.

You forgot Gay Byrne.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Elmo wrote: »
    You forgot Gay Byrne.

I wish I could. He is still broadcasting (on Lyric on Sundays) twenty years after he retired. As an octagenarian, he is in fastastic form, but is it not time he moved aside to let a much younger person at the microphone?

I wish I could. He is still broadcasting (on Lyric on Sundays) twenty years after he retired. As an octagenarian, he is in fastastic form, but is it not time he moved aside to let a much younger person at the microphone?

He is going kind of

http://radiotoday.ie/2014/03/gay-byrne-ready-to-leave-rte-lyric-fm/

That is good news. After 50 years, you would think they would have found a replacement by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 steviegall

Most likely an aerial problem, many similar posts here since the 2nd multiplex launched late last year. Might need to be realigned on your nearest transmitter. Are you using an indoor or outdoor aerial?

Use the Saorview coverage checker to find the recommended transmitter for your location - http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/, input your postcode into the search box.

Multiplex 1
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    02|RTÉ Two|HD|
    03|TV3|SD|
    04|TG4|SD|
    05|3e|SD|
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD|
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|Radio|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|Radio|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|Radio|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|Radio|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|Radio
    208|RTÉ Gold|Radio|

Multiplex 2
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    01|RTÉ One|HD|
    16|(not used)||
    07|RTÉ Junior**|SD|
    08|RTÉ One +1**|SD|

hey there,

my aerials are both external and the one for rte is pointed at holywell hill just east of derry on the roi side of the border although when i input my postcode it tells me i should be using the letterkenny transmitter but the difference in the two is only 3-4 km if that

every other channel from roi has and is working fine so i cant see it being an aerial problem and they are only installed like 5-6 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

hey there,

my aerials are both external and the one for rte is pointed at holywell hill just east of derry on the roi side of the border although when i input my postcode it tells me i should be using the letterkenny transmitter but the difference in the two is only 3-4 km if that

every other channel from roi has and is working fine so i cant see it being an aerial problem and they are only installed like 5-6 years

If you have two aerials they are probably fed into a diplexer to combine them. For some reason you are having problems pickup up some of the stations. It's most likely an aerial problem. 5 years is a long time for aerials to last outdoors with rust, wind etc. If you want the channels it would be worth forking out on a new setup. It would be best to get a professional installer as two aerial setups are more complicated and more difficult to DIY. Many people are in the same boat where their aerials are not working as they would like.

Naturally they should be pointed at where the best signal is, and a professional guy with the right equipment can test that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

sudzs wrote: »

Hi, I had similar problem and living on border, so then I changed location setting to England and re-scanned, you will still get Rté 1 with message! But if you scroll down channels you will come across another Rté 1 without message!! Btw b4 anyone asks this is not the +1 Rté 1.... Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

All that small text would have been illegible on analogue ;)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

That is good news. After 50 years, you would think they would have found a replacement by now.
    I understand that the reason is that they cannot source the valves which are used to power the station's output.... sad really:(

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    All that small text would have been illegible on analogue ;)

Then make the text bigger or more direct. It would have been cheaper whatever they did. Just reduce the picture size, anything, just to get the calls into Joe, then everone would know all about it.

fat-tony wrote: »
    I understand that the reason is that they cannot source the valves which are used to power the station's output.... sad really:(

I was refering to GB - he used to power the stations output, but not with valves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Veelle

Can anyone tell me will there be any further rescans required by Saorview?

I am not a Saorview customer but my receiver also needs to be rescanned now which is an awful pain. My installer cannot/will not(?) give me guidance over the phone how to do this, nor can I figure out how to do it myself using the User Manual. Instead installer must visit and complete rescan himself for me at a cost.

Not sure if I am being ripped off or if others have this problem.
    Thanks.

Veelle wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me will there be any further rescans required by Saorview?

I am not a Saorview customer but my receiver also needs to be rescanned now which is an awful pain. My installer cannot/will not(?) give me guidance over the phone how to do this, nor can I figure out how to do it myself using the User Manual. Instead installer must visit and complete rescan himself for me at a cost.

Not sure if I am being ripped off or if others have this problem.
    Thanks.

Possibly one when UTV Ireland arrives, another when TG4 HD arrives and another when TV3 HD arrives!!!!

What type of TV? What service are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Veelle

Thanks for that, its good to know! Can't remember what TV we have, the dish/aerial installed by independent installer - one of the "no monthly bills" type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Veelle wrote: »
    Thanks for that, its good to know! Can't remember what TV we have, the dish/aerial installed by independent installer - one of the "no monthly bills" type.

I would assume that you use Freeview HD from the UK then. Is the Freeview reception coming from a STB or TV?

Where are you living to get it's reception from your local transmitter?

@Veelle where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wayne Cochran

I would assume that you use Freeview HD from the UK then.

Why do you "assume" that to be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

If you are not a Saorview "customer" or viewer why do you need to rescan Saorview????? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Why do you "assume" that to be the case?

I would assume it because both Freeview/Freeview HD and Saorview are not pay per month platforms for the TV market here in Ireland. They are Free to Air for the year once you pay a TV licence in the jurisdiction you are living in either in the republic or the north.

Freeview/Freeview HD is received from the UK including the North of Ireland. Saorview is owned by 2RN (RTE NL).

The poster who gave the information has to say whether the service the poster receives uses an aerial to get DTT and use Saorview approved equipment.

The poster said that is NOT a Saorview Customer (whatever that means) so yes I would initially assume that Freeview from either the UK or the North could be the logical outcome.

Or it could be that the equipment is stated as 'Irish Digital Ready' in which a manual scan of the MUX1 and MUX2 will be the sufficient outcome in the short term.

Advertisement