Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

mgc102 wrote: »
    What is stopping a manufacturer from producing a box/TV that is capable of working in all EU countries? Is it the you need the approval stamp ? Or are the manafacturer pre

The major manufacturers like Sony do this already, it simply requires lab certification for the various national receiver standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mgc102

I dont have any Sony equipment.
    What is stopping a manufacturer from producing a box/TV that is capable of working in all EU countries? Is it the you need the approval stamp ? Or are the manafacturer pre

My battery died before I could finish the above post.

Ok major manufacturers like Sony do this. Is there a Sony PVR that can be used across the EU like the way an IPhone can be used throughout the EU?

Is there a Sony PVR that can be used across the EU like the way an IPhone can be used throughout the EU?

No, TVs only. The DTT market is probably too small to justify the cost of pan-European PVR certification, but everyone needs a TV.

too small to justify the cost

sounds like what the Betamax said to the VHS?

where is the competition in the DTT market?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Some TV manufacturers deliberately make TVs incompatible to stop grey marketing. This is a particular problem for us in Ireland as the UK is an easy place to source grey product. It is unfortunate that this exists, and support for firmware does not continue beyond the warranty period.

It is further made difficult by the 'helpful' way the 2rn and RTE are 'adjusting' the DTT signal to render more non-approved TVs to become non-compliant. At present, series-link suddenly stopped working in July on non-approved PVRs. The summer-time problem suddenly appeared last year and the year before. Now they have changed the order the channels are loaded, putting data channels first, which has screwed up my TVs programme numbering.

Why is there so much secrecy about the mux coding, and what 2rn are doing with the signal? And why so many test cards, yet poor definition on the channels we actually watch? Could they not go [1920 by 1080] for HD and [702 by 576] for SD, given they have the space?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Using Sony Freeview HD TV and Test transmission page had replaced RTE News Now from its position putting the latter further down the channel list. Fortunately with Sony TV (not their Freeview HD PVR) I can programme sort.

Some TV manufacturers deliberately make TVs incompatible to stop grey marketing.

It is further made difficult by the 'helpful' way the 2rn and RTE are 'adjusting' the DTT signal to render more non-approved TVs to become non-compliant.

The EU should make it a requirement that all equipment (TV or PVR) can be used throughout the union in the same way that $ky plus boxes can be used anywhere. I doubt that manufacturers deliberately make TVs or equipment incompatible to stop grey marketing. If I was a $ky plus seller I certainly would hate to see better quality personal video recorders from the grey market reducing the number of subscriptions I sold, especially if these recorders had full compatibility with a free service (i. e. $aorview).

Can we stop with the $ky rubbish? So immature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

The EU should make it a requirement that all equipment (TV or PVR) can be used throughout the union in the same way that $ky plus boxes can be used anywhere.

You mean anywhere you can receive the signal from 28 degrees east, & as long as you pay a subscription to Sky?

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    Can we stop with the $ky rubbish? So immature.

$orry!

Thurston? wrote: »
    You mean anywhere you can receive the signal from 28 degrees east, & as long as you pay a subscription to Sky?

I don't have a skybox, but is it not the same skybox used throughout the EU just the signal different and the subscription or TV licences that is different depending on where the signal lands. Why can't terrestrial equipment (TV/PVR) have the same standards and technology through Europe like the skyboxes for satellite signal?

I don't have a skybox, but is it not the same skybox used throughout the EU just the signal different and the subscription or TV licences that is different depending on where the signal lands.

Could be the same hardware, for all I know, but your UK/Ireland Sky+ box won't have much user-appeal once you leave the footprint of the satellites at 28 degrees east.

Sky aren't an EU-wide operation anyway. Maybe you're actually thinking of satellite receivers in general?

I don't have a skybox, but is it not the same skybox used throughout the EU just the signal different and the subscription or TV licences that is different depending on where the signal lands.

No, each pay TV operator uses its own proprietary hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

We're waaaay off topic here. Keep it back to the title please, start a new thread if you need to!

The Cush wrote: »
    No, each pay TV operator uses its own proprietary hardware.

This is in the terrestrial section (not pay TV) and I only used the $ky box as an example of an Europe wide (recording) box. I feel that we are not getting the choices of TV and other related equipment available in other parts of the EU. We should be asking why this is so!
    I don't want to upset people who have paid subscriptions to $ky or $ky themselves but if the 2RN changes scrap competition between $aorview plus boxes, $ky plus boxes and other recorders used (some used prior to the digital switchover) I think it $π|nks!

• Advertisement

... I only used the $ky box as an example of an Europe wide (recording) box.

It's possibly the worst example you could have come up with. It doesn't even record if you don't pay a sub.

marclt wrote: »
    We're waaaay off topic here. Keep it back to the title please, start a new thread if you need to!

But from reading the posts the rescan/changes are causing problems to equipment, whether the equipment is saorview approved or not( but dont blame the buyer as some may have been purchased before saorview approval was recommended!)

But from reading the posts the rescan/changes is causing problems to equipment, whether or not the equipment is saorview approved or not

What problems are being caused to Saorview approved equipment?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The problems are to non-approved equipment that used to work fine, but now does not. The problems I am aware of are
    1: Series link stopped working in July.
    2: Summertime stopped working two years ago.
    3:LCN number problems because they put data channels ahead of programme channels since the last retune.

All of these could be fixed by minor changes to the data stream.

Edit: I know that they have put the data stream first because when I press [1] the TV shows a hidden channel (greyed out) called SSU, which is a data software update channel. This is transmitted on both mux1 and mux2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Test channel 12 is now showing a colour bars test card in HD it' not the test card with the clapper sound. Also test channel 21 is now showing a colour bars test card. It might not mean much but I wonder is test channel 12 for UTVI HD and test channel 21 for OTV or TV3+1. I might be clutching at straws.

• Advertisement

natashaob6 wrote: »
    test channel 21 for OTV or TV3+1.

or RTÉ News Now as it was testing there before?

or RTÉ News Now as it was testing there before?
    Possibly I had forgotten about RTE News now. I don't know when the test cards changed as I was away for most of the weekend. When I checked late Friday nighr all test channels were showing a philips tesr card except test channel 12 which had the colour bars with clapper sound. So the changes must have taken place yesterday.

The UTVI carriage announcement may come this week based on a Sunday Mail article last Sun so they could be preparing for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Test channel 12 is now showing a colour bars test card in HD it' not the test card with the clapper sound.

It is the 'clapper' testcard - but just frozen - or at least it was when I checked yesterday.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

The UTVI carriage announcement may come this week based on a Sunday Mail article last Sun so they could be preparing for that.
    yes I hope so. It would be nice if UTVI launched in HD. Exciting times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭StreetLight

It is the 'clapper' testcard - but just frozen - or at least it was when I checked yesterday.

Channel 12 had the clapper test with the 2RN Ardghleine caption. This is now full bars.

Channel 21 is now split bars with red raster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

RTÉ News Now

New style (fonts, colours etc) for it I notice this evening.

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    New style (fonts, colours etc) for it I notice this evening.

Hopefully we'll get full SD resolution to go with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

I've noticed the testcards have been changing over the weekend. The HD test appeared 'frozen' for a period. Maybe an issue there.

Test channel 12 is now carrying tone with colour bars. Audio was silent. Just gone silent again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Test channel 12 is now carrying tone with colour bars. Audio was silent. Just gone silent again.

HD test channel on satellite now lit up with UTVI logo and coming January 1st message on screen. Here's hoping we see the same on this channel in the next day or two.

Could the colour bars be coming from UTVI at Macken House, testing the link to Cookstown/Donnybrook?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Could the colour bars be coming from UTVI at Macken House, testing the link to Cookstown/Donnybrook?
    Very likely, they will need to calibrate the links circuit from Macken House before any promo loop test is broadcast.
    I wonder when they will expect viewers to retune, most people will not want to muck about with their tellys over Christmas.

Are we confident that UTVI will be in HD on Saorview ?

galtee boy wrote: »
    Are we confident that UTVI will be in HD on Saorview ?

No, just an educated guess based on the messing about with the epg recently.

No, just an educated guess based on the messing about with the epg recently.

I guess we'll find out in the next day or so. I would think that the promo loop running on the Sky test channels, will appear on Saorview this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

If test channels 12 & 14 are reserved for TV3 HD & TG4 HD respectively (as was speculated on these forums) where then for UTV Ireland HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

If test channels 12 & 14 are reserved for TV3 HD & TG4 HD respectively (as was speculated on these forums) where then for UTV Ireland HD?
    I don't think any slot are "reserved" for any channel - you pay, you get carriage, first come first serve ... i'd say its as simple as that.

irishfeen wrote: »
    I don't think any slot are "reserved" for any channel - you pay, you get carriage, first come first serve ... i'd say its as simple as that.

That's about it, the only slot reserved is the LCN you pay for, everything else is a moveable feast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

UTVI's playout/transmission control is in Belfast, in Havelock House.

Changes to the testcards this evening

LCNs 9 & 10 (RnaG audio on both), LCNs 13, 16, 17, 22 (no audio),
    k2gz9d.jpg

The existing testcards

LCN 12, HD Colour bars
    25hha1l.jpg

LCN 21, SD Colour bars
    1zyiwde.jpg

Test channel 21 now back to philips test card with tone . Test channel 12 still showing colour bars bur audio is now silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

SRB wrote: »
    UTVI's playout/transmission control is in Belfast, in Havelock House.
    How do we know that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

How do we know that?
    They recruited playout staff over the summer and the jobs are based in Havelock House.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Television
    1: RTÉ One HD
    2: RTÉ Two HD
    3: TV3
    4: TG4
    5: 3e
    6: UTV Ireland (from January 1, 2015)
    7: RTÉ News Now
    8: RTÉjr
    9: RTÉ One +1
    10- 16: blank
    17: Oireachtas TV (Hidden channel, test service)
    18 - 199: blank

Radio
    200: RTÉ Radio 1
    201: RTÉ Radio 1 Extra
    202: RTÉ 2fm
    203: RTÉ Lyric fm
    204: RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta
    205: RTÉ Pulse
    206: RTÉ 2XM
    207: RTÉ Junior (7am - 9pm)
    207: RTÉ Chill (9pm - 7am)
    208: RTÉ Gold
    209 - 999: blank

Upcoming
    17: Oireachtas TV (Currently hidden)
    TBC: Chilli Hits
    TBC: Cúla 4
    TBC: Euronews
    TBC: Irish Film Channel
    TBC: Irish TV
    TBC: Ponc
    TBC: RTÉ Plus
    TBC: TG4 +1
    TBC: TG4 HD
    TBC: TRTÉ
    TBC: TV3 +1
    TBC: TV3 HD (August 2015)
    TBC: UTV Ireland

• Advertisement

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Television
    1: RTÉ One HD
    2: RTÉ Two HD
    3: TV3
    4: TG4
    5: 3e
    6: UTV Ireland (from January 1, 2015)
    7: RTÉ News Now
    8: RTÉjr
    9: RTÉ One +1
    10- 16: blank
    17: Oireachtas TV (Hidden channel, test service)
    18 - 199: blank

Radio
    200: RTÉ Radio 1
    201: RTÉ Radio 1 Extra
    202: RTÉ 2fm
    203: RTÉ Lyric fm
    204: RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta
    205: RTÉ Pulse
    206: RTÉ 2XM
    207: RTÉ Junior (7am - 9pm)
    207: RTÉ Chill (9pm - 7am)
    208: RTÉ Gold
    209 - 999: blank

Upcoming
    17: Oireachtas TV (Currently hidden)
    TBC: Chilli Hits
    TBC: Cúla 4
    TBC: Euronews
    TBC: Irish Film Channel
    TBC: Irish TV
    TBC: Ponc
    TBC: RTÉ Plus
    TBC: TG4 +1
    TBC: TG4 HD
    TBC: TRTÉ
    TBC: TV3 +1
    TBC: TV3 HD (August 2015)
    TBC: UTV Ireland
    Guesswork??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭seanin4711

now we can watch crap in hd nice wan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

it's to be confirmed - August 2015!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Question is - Which UTV is to be confirmed, HD or SD?? Its a complete waste if the only have SD at launch

Surely it must indicate an SD Launch with the promise of HD to be confirmed, they are hardly going to launch an SD at a later date lol

Saorview facebook page not confirming EPG No or HD..
    What epg number will it be on? Great addition to the platform? ...

Saorview: We'll be announcing this before the end of the week Michael - watch this space

• Advertisement
Advertisement