Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Antenna

The Cush wrote: »
    On the Saorview Information channel they've changed to white text on a black backround, good decision.

The original notice did not even say the name of the new channel, which could have caused confusion if viewers already had UTV tuned in (as many receivers will do automatically) - and taken to mean that there might be another new channel. Here's the current one:

331480.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Nice pro mo video running on UTV IRELAND -Coming soon .
    Sorry if people already know but all I've caught has been the green screen.
    Happy Christmas.
    Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Currently on Aertel page 169:

SAORVIEW LCN change notification:

2rn wish to advise that the LCN signalling of services on the SAORVIEW platform has recently been updated.
    Viewers and installers may wish to ensure that in order to continue to enjoy the existing services on SAORVIEW, and to add new service introductions it may be necessary to rescan their SAORVIEW equipment...
    For more information on this LCN change from the SAORVIEW team, please Lo-Call 1890 222 012.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 royboymaps

A little bit different to whats being discussed here but I figured that some of yous might be able to help with the knowledge yous have.

When the switchover happened I bought a 4ife non-saorview approved box, which I used with an analogue TV. The box would tune in both the saorview and freeview channels from NI, although it had no LCN's so the channels came up in random order. I recently purchased a new saorview approved Samsung TV, and I cannot get the freeview channels on it. An auto retune just takes the saorview channels, and there seems to no manual retune option.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is is possible to get the TV to ignore the LCN's?

Thanks for your help, and Happy New Year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

royboymaps wrote: »
    ... The box would tune in both the saorview and freeview channels from NI, although it had no LCN's so the channels came up in random order. I recently purchased a new saorview approved Samsung TV, and I cannot get the freeview channels on it. An auto retune just takes the saorview channels, and there seems to no manual retune option.

So you've set up with Ireland as country, & the scan for channels only finds Saorview? Have you gone through everything in the channel list?

Usually the 'other' country's services will be put in the 800 range of channel nos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 royboymaps

Yeah, it shows up the saorview TV channels from 1-23, then the radio channels from 200-208 and theres no more after that. I just tried typing in a few random numbers in the 800's to see if there were any hidden channels but nothing coming up.

It's as if the TV is just blocking out the Freeview channels. Is a saorview approved TV supposed to do that? Cause the box I used to have wasnt saorview approved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

royboymaps wrote: »
    ... It's as if the TV is just blocking out the Freeview channels. Is a saorview approved TV supposed to do that? Cause the box I used to have wasnt saorview approved.

Don't know about 'blocking' Freeview, I haven't come across a Samsung behaving like that. Poor Freeview signal could be the problem.

On my 2 year old example, pressing menu, then channel, should bring up the tuning options. Entering UHF channel nos. or frequencies in the manual tuning option, brings up a basic signal quality display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

A few years back I had an official Freeview approved box. When set to IRL it only showed Saorview channels. When set to UK it only showed the region set by postcode even though I could get three UK regions, Wales, West and Cornwall. (Preseli, Caradon Hill and Redruth)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

2RN has changed something, as claimed above.
    It's not just adding UTV Ireland, something about the WAY the LCN is implemented has changed.

My generic Hong Kong box (which does MHEG5) used to work with LCN.
    Now I get two different crazy versions of line up depending if LCN enabled or not.
    I rescanned to add UTVi
    This is what you get being a cheapskate and paying 1/4 price for a box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Reset the country to UK and scan again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@Watty

I beleive there is something going on with Saorview. They have gone to some trouble to disable a once working series link so it now works with the only approved PVR, but not with UK sourced PVRs like the Humax, nor does it work with Saorview approved TVs that can record.

The summer-time problem needs sorting out.

They have added 38 blank LCN headers to confuse non-Saorview boxes. They have added data channels in the first position in the data stream so as to screw up my particular TV LG **LD490, so position 1 is taken by the data channel and it cannot be moved. You, IIRC, have a LG **.LD450 - how is that working following a rescan?

The addition of 38 randomly placed blank channel headers makes slow TVs impossible to sort out. The MHEG5 display forced onto radio channels burns some screens and I have not found a way of disabling it.

I note that the unapproved boxes I sold years ago (with no MHEG5) still function correctly - or at least the one I last looked at does.

We should have a campaign for Saorview to sort this lot out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    Am I going mad or are there two RTE+1 channels on Ch55 Maghera - from memory LCN 8 and 21?
    If so why...?

EDIT just seen post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93326611&postcount=1187

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would guess that the one at LCN 11 will become full time. It might well be joined by RTE 2+1 at LCN 12. Possibly other +1s at the LCN +10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Test Channel 14 now showing colour bars was showing 2rn philips test card.

So maybe we will have TG4+1

So maybe we will have TG4+1
    it would be nice to see TG4 HD appear.

I think TG4 HD will appear with UTVi HD and TV3 HD all together. They all must go HD together for the pricing to work, otherwise they pay €2.4m each. With two full muxes, HD costs about €1.6m or less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The MHEG5 display forced onto radio channels burns some screens and I have not found a way of disabling it.

Can you set a user preset for brightness/contrast to dim it as far as possible?

I have a Blue Diamond Saorview approved TV, it has a button on the remote to turn the panel off but leave the sound on!

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

I think TG4 HD will appear with UTVi HD and TV3 HD all together. They all must go HD together for the pricing to work, otherwise they pay €2.4m each. With two full muxes, HD costs about €1.6m or less.

Round the time of the Rugby World Cup maybe? Or will TV3 go HD on its own for this only on Sky/UPC?

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Round the time of the Rugby World Cup maybe? Or will TV3 go HD on its own for this only on Sky/UPC?

The costings would suggest they all go together, or the minister over-rides the charging structures. It is up to Comreg, not 2RN or RTE.

• Advertisement

Colour bar test on Channel 12 replaced by grayscale with tone (HD).

333981.jpg

Teest channel 22 info bar says NEW Test Transmission from midnight tonight and when I press the I button on my remote it says.Test Transmission. (N,S,AD). Any idea what these letters stand for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

natashaob6 wrote: »
    Teest channel 22 info bar says NEW Test Transmission from midnight tonight and when I press the I button on my remote it says.Test Transmission. (N,S,AD). Any idea what these letters stand for.
    S = subtitles
    AD = audio Description
    N = I think is audio channel of a different language

Channel 22 is OTV I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Channel 22 is OTV I think.

Yes, according to the LCN policy schedule LCN 22 is reserved for the Oireachtas Channel.

Yes, according to the LCN policy schedule LCN 22 is reserved for the Oireachtas Channel.
    So does this mean we could see OTV added to LCN 22 in the next couple of weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

So does this mean we could see OTV added to LCN 22 in the next couple of weeks?

Or if Oireachtas TV does not take up slot...could it be offered to Irish TV (another thread... I Know):confused:

No, LCN is for news type programmes. Irish TV would take LCN 9 or so. probably LCN 8 with RTE +1 taking LCN 11, which it already has (because it is on twice).

RTE 1+1 is being dropped from LCN 8 to 11. This is what's currently on LCN 8 during RTE 1+1 downtime:

saorviewlcn08.jpg

341492.jpg

The Saorview information page on LCN 23 has also been updated:

341493.jpg

saorviewlcn23.jpg

• Advertisement

The "RTÉ One +1" label has now been removed from LCN 8 and is now blank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭brick man

I wonder with +1 moving now is Irish TV going to launch as it had hoped to be on Saorview by end of march

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The "RTÉ One +1" label has now been removed from LCN 8 and is now blank.

Why are they doing this ? It's not as if any new channel is launching on March 24 at channel no.8.

They are making the LCN system more logical.

RTE 1+1 is at LCN +10 of the original channel.

So RTE 2+1 will be at 12
    TV3 wil be at 13, TG4 at 14 and so on.

RTE News Now is at 21, so OTV will be at 22, and so on.

Pure logic that is missing from so many other aspects of Saorview like why there are 38 blank channel headers, or why excess capacity is burnt off on test cards - two of them in HD.

If they explained themselves it might be quite logical - but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

They are making the LCN system more logical.

RTE 1+1 is at LCN +10 of the original channel.

So RTE 2+1 will be at 12
    TV3 wil be at 13, TG4 at 14 and so on.

RTE News Now is at 21, so OTV will be at 22, and so on.

Pure logic that is missing from so many other aspects of Saorview like why there are 38 blank channel headers, or why excess capacity is burnt off on test cards - two of them in HD.

If they explained themselves it might be quite logical - but I doubt it.

This would be all well and good, if the +1 versions of all the other channels were about to launch, but that won't happen for years, if ever.

As I've posted before, there is room for +1 channels along with HD for TV3, UTVi and TG4. It only takes a rebalancing of the charges - thanks to TV3 complaining at having to pay at all.

It is up to Comreg to do something having scuppered any market freedom.

• Advertisement

Just to update, RTÉ1+1 on LCN 8 ceased in the early hours of Tue morning. On some TVs a retune is required to remove the blank channel 8 from view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

Just to update, RTÉ1+1 on LCN 8 ceased in the early hours of Tue morning. On some TVs a retune is required to remove the blank channel 8 from view.

Is there a new channel moving to LCN 8 or is this another state secret like everything to do with saorview ?

jjf1974 wrote: »
    Is there a new channel moving to LCN 8 or is this another state secret like everything to do with saorview ?

Not we know of, just a reorganisation of the epg - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94032189

I hope this is the right thread to put this. Minister for communications Alex White said he does not think it is a good idea to allocate monnies from the licence fee to pay for carraige for OTV and the Irish Film Channel on Saorview as this would reduce the licence fee money RTE get. He also states he has not received any request by RTE to launch new services such as RTE 2+1 and showing ads on RTE News Now. Source www.cce.gno.ie

Does that mean Alex White wants OTV to be funded by the Oireachtas or that it should not appear FTA?

What a mess Saorview continues to be, with nearly half the capacity burned off as no-one wants to pay, but they have to pay anyway. Daft.

• Advertisement

Does that mean Alex White wants OTV to be funded by the Oireachtas or that it should not appear FTA?

What a mess Saorview continues to be, with nearly half the capacity burned off as no-one wants to pay, but they have to pay anyway. Daft.
    I suppose it means that the Oireactas will have to pay for carraige on Saorview. At least we know now that part of the licence fee definitely won't be used to fund OTV carraige. It looks lke the ball is in the government's court now if the want to see OTV on SAORVIEW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I suppose it means that the Oireactas will have to pay for carraige on Saorview. At least we know now that part of the licence fee definitely won't be used to fund OTV carraige. It looks lke the ball is in the government's court now if the want to see OTV on SAORVIEW.

If you did ask the minister directly "Do you want to see OTV on SAORVIEW?" You would get the following:-

You would hope it would begin with
    On a personal level yes I want to see OTV on SAORVIEW, that where it should be

However it would then go on to say
    RTÉ is an independent national public service broadcaster whose remit and obligations are set out in the Broadcasting Act 2009.

RTÉ has built, owns and controls the new national digital TV network which they call Saorview. RTÉ is also responsible for the coverage and operation of its Saorview TV network. Part 8 of the Broadcasting Act 2009, sets out RTÉ’s powers and responsibilities in this regard. Therefore, I have no direct function in the matter.

followed by
    Sections 125 and 126 of the Broadcasting Act 2009 make the necessary provision to allow for the development of an Oireachtas TV channel to be known as the “Houses of the Oireachtas Channel” on the SAORVIEW TV network. The legislation provides that the channel should be established by the Commission of the Houses of the Oireachtas and that the oversight of the channel should be the responsibility of the Joint Administration Committee, which is a joint committee of the Houses of the Oireachtas.

The Commission of the Houses of the Oireachtas may enter into such contracts as are necessary to establish and maintain the Houses of the Oireachtas Channel. In this context, I should mention that section 126 of the Act amends Schedule 1 of the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission Act 2003 to enable the Commission to fund the channel and to meet all expenses incurred in this respect.

And then some
    The availability of Oireachtas TV on SAORVIEW is a matter for those bodies, subject of course to the agreement of the necessary commercial terms with RTÉ as owner of the SAORVIEW network. I confirm that my Officials will continue to liaise with those bodies on this matter.

But that goes against the over-riding Comreg decision to set a regulated charging regime. Neither RTE or 2RN can 'give away' bandwidth but they can burn it off.

Alex White needs to intervene.

Alex White needs to intervene.

Like Legislate? AKA his job?

No need for legislation - just make a few decisions like rescind the SI signed by the last FF minister on his last day in office that prevented a sensible regime in broadcasting.

No need for legislation - just make a few decisions like rescind the SI signed by the last FF minister on his last day in office that prevented a sensible regime in broadcasting.

Purely talking about OTV which doesn't involve the SI AFAIK??

I do not think so.

The result of the SI is that the whole Saorview service is hog-tied. Comreg has set a pricing structure, which the Minister could require to be reset. This set the charging for Saorview based solely on bandwidth used. As a consequence of this, 2RN gets close on €12m a year whatever goes on.

Under the SI, RTE cannot gain anything in advertising revenue from two of their four channels, nor can they use the RTE 1+1 to introduce new or more interesting programming. This encourages RTE to be 'difficult' when it comes to Saorview, and despite the obvious benefit to all concerned, the regime of charging remains as does the burning off of the unused capacity.

The SI was introduced to benefit TV3 but now that UTVi has entered the platform, it is time to scrap the SI and reset the charging regime for Saorview.

I think that 2RN should be required to run and control Saorview as a seperate entity from RTE with 2RN taking over the multiplexing. They (2RN) should be allowed to adjust charges for new entry or changed format. This would allow incentives to get UTVi, TV3, and TG4 all to go HD at the same time.

I also think RTE should be assigned mux1 and the others moved to mux2.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lgs 4

I do not think so.

The result of the SI is that the whole Saorview service is hog-tied. Comreg has set a pricing structure, which the Minister could require to be reset. This set the charging for Saorview based solely on bandwidth used. As a consequence of this, 2RN gets close on €12m a year whatever goes on.

Under the SI, RTE cannot gain anything in advertising revenue from two of their four channels, nor can they use the RTE 1+1 to introduce new or more interesting programming. This encourages RTE to be 'difficult' when it comes to Saorview, and despite the obvious benefit to all concerned, the regime of charging remains as does the burning off of the unused capacity.

The SI was introduced to benefit TV3 but now that UTVi has entered the platform, it is time to scrap the SI and reset the charging regime for Saorview.

I think that 2RN should be required to run and control Saorview as a seperate entity from RTE with 2RN taking over the multiplexing. They (2RN) should be allowed to adjust charges for new entry or changed format. This would allow incentives to get UTVi, TV3, and TG4 all to go HD at the same time.

I also think RTE should be assigned mux1 and the others moved to mux2.
    It may go HD under the new owner or owners of tv3 and e3 its up for sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Is going HD such a big deal?
    I have assess to BBC in HD this side of the Irish Sea but hardly ever watch in HD .
    I watched "Robin Hood" on RTE2 HD a few nights ago ---- the beach scenes were filmed on a beach local to me -- on my Sony TV and wasn't impressed by the stuttering on the high motion scenes (of which there were a lot).
    Could be my TV but as I couldn't switch to SD then there was no way of knowing.
    Just my couple of Euros input.
    Regards

lgs 4 wrote: »
    It may go HD under the new owner or owners of tv3 and e3 its up for sale

If you believe that kite flying - do not forget that 2015 is the best year ever for TV3!

• Advertisement
Advertisement