Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surname Middleton in Irish. Help!

• 22-10-2013 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone knew what Middleton was in Irish, as in Kate Middleton (just an example :P) Or is there any websites or place I could go to ask.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's a very English name. I don't know if there is a practical translation of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

I was just wondering if anyone knew what Middleton was in Irish, as in Kate Middleton (just an example :P) Or is there any websites or place I could go to ask.

Only for the town of Midleton in Co. Cork.
    Mainistir na Corann (Monastery of the weir).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Only for the town of Midleton in Co. Cork.
    Mainistir na Corann (Monastery of the weir).
    But are hey the same name? Is Middleton simply the anglicisation of the already established Irish name (of that place)? That may well be the case, and the two may well not be linked at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Is it possible to Gaelicize it?

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

Gumbi wrote: »
    But are hey the same name? Is Middleton simply the anglicisation of the already established Irish name (of that place)? That may well be the case, and the two may well not be linked at all.

There's no relation between Middelton, the surname and Midleton, the town.
    I posted the town's original name 'Mainistir na Corann' (monastery at the weir) just as a point of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

There's no relation between Middelton, the surname and Midleton, the town.
    I posted the town's original name 'Mainistir na Corann' (monastery at the weir) just as a point of interest.

BTW, I'm assuming by you writing it with one "d" again that it is no mistake, correct?

Gumbi wrote: »
    BTW, I'm assuming by you writing it with one "d" again that it is no mistake, correct?

Correct.

Advertisement