Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of sheep

Options
  • 22-10-2013 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

im thinking of getting into a flock of sheep. All the land is electric fence but all timber stalks so wouldnt be a major job to put sheep wire on it. My main reason for posting is to see what sort of grants i could get for having them?? I was thinking of 50 ewes and id cut back cattle numbers. And run them together

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

If ya get out on a Saturday night and meet some ladies, ya might think of getting into sheep less ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

bbam wrote: »
    If ya get out on a Saturday night and me some ladies, ya might think of getting into sheep less ;)

Thats what i thought too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

im thinking of getting into a flock of sheep.

Hopefully for your sake it will pass. We'll all say a little prayer for your swift recovery:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

im thinking of getting into a flock of sheep. All the land is electric fence but all timber stalks so wouldnt be a major job to put sheep wire on it. My main reason for posting is to see what sort of grants i could get for having them?? I was thinking of 50 ewes and id cut back cattle numbers. And run them together

Hi there are fencing grants. You need to have a min of 50 ewes and other conditions. They then rate you under each section and prioritise those with the highest number of points. There is also the sheep grassland scheme worth about 10 per ewe. Deepening on total number applied for. See dept of Ag website.

You won't be rich from 50 ewes but you will make a few pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

sea12 wrote: »
    Hi there are fencing grants. You need to have a min of 50 ewes and other conditions. They then rate you under each section and prioritise those with the highest number of points. There is also the sheep grassland scheme worth about 10 per ewe. Deepening on total number applied for. See dept of Ag website.

You won't be rich from 50 ewes but you will make a few pound.

plus the benefits of mixed grazing which a lot of non sheep farmers seem to frown on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Hopefully for your sake it will pass. We'll all say a little prayer for your swift recovery:D.

Could think of worse thing to be getting into tbh,...good margin on a well run flock these day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Could think of worse thing to be getting into tbh,...good margin on a well run flock these day

I reckon you can carry one ewe to the acre on most cattle farms without reducing cattle numbers and
    1. The lambs will thrive really well and
    2. You'll improve the grass sward for the cattle and control ragwort

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vermin99

Out of interest what would be good breeds for part timing and what's the best way to make a profit ,I currently buy cattle in February and kill in August ,so I was considering doing something similar with sheep ,havnt time to be lambing .buy and sell in mart ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vermin99

Out of interest what would be good breeds for part timing and what's the best way to make a profit ,I currently buy cattle in February and kill in August ,so I was considering doing something similar with sheep ,havnt time to be lambing .buy and sell in mart ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

rancher wrote: »
    I reckon you can carry one ewe to the acre on most cattle farms without reducing cattle numbers and
    1. The lambs will thrive really well and
    2. You'll improve the grass sward for the cattle and control ragwort

I'm dairying with sheep

during the summer my neighbour is out a couple evenings per week topping dung pads , i just open the hurdle between the paddocks and let the white army in

a lot less reseeding needed as well

dense swarth of uniform height for next grazing

• Advertisement
Advertisement