Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with a marriage

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Could you get a marriage cert for another sibling close to this marriage to check what the fathers occupation might have been, they might have had better handwriting!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

An 1881 directory shows a John McGrath, Public house with an address of Barrack Hill.. might be Margaret's father. No Monk businesses in the listing for the town that I can see

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I read it as "Hermy" and then decided that might be wrong. :D
    Ah yes, Hermy - the well known tourist destination of the late 1800's.:P
    dido2 wrote: »
    Could you get a marriage cert for another sibling close to this marriage to check what the fathers occupation might have been, they might have had better handwriting!!!!!
    Oh, if only it were that simple.:) I hope in due time that I can find siblings but right now I couldn't even say whether or not Frank had brothers and sisters.
    shanew wrote: »
    An 1881 directory shows a John McGrath, Public house with an address of Barrack Hill.. might be Margaret's father. No Monk businesses in the listing for the town that I can see
    The Monks business if there was one would have been in Dublin - I just can't say where in Dublin beyond a possible (read highly likely) connection with St. Andrews, Westland Row.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Hermy wrote: »
    Here's a link to the full size document if it helps at all.

Wonder if the occupation might be 'art etcher.'

Do you know if John Monks was Irish, Hermy? I can see where architect is coming from but it doesn't look like an intuitive wrong spelling to me. Irish architects are detailed at www.dia.ie. No listing for him but it might be worth contacting them to see if there are updates.

CeannRua wrote: »
    Do you know if John Monks was Irish, Hermy?

I can only assume that he was, as the marriage record of his son Francis is the earliest record I can confirm. I have what I believe is the baptismal record of Francis in 1849 but I'm hoping some more work in the GRO will shed more light on the origins of this family.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I can only assume that he was, as the marriage record of his son Francis is the earliest record I can confirm. I have what I believe is the baptismal record of Francis in 1849 but I'm hoping some more work in the GRO will shed more light on the origins of this family.

forgotten about that possible baptism... think I checked directories for possible related listings before. Not sure if we tried this before, but thought it might be worth trying another angle due to the date ... the 1851 census extract. Just gives names for heads of household, street address and civil parish, but gives a few more options.. Should include more heads of household than directories, e.g. labourers, those in tenements etc. You can see basic info on FMP.ie on a free search.
    Monks Jno. St. Bridget's
    Monks Jno. St. George's
    Monks Jno. St. Michan's
    Monks Jno. St. George's
    Monks Jno. St. Peter's
    Monks Jno. St. James's

No Monks in the 30-40 Architects, and just two John or J. Monks in the Alphabetical index in Thom's 1852, a John Monks at 138 Summerhill which would be St. George's civil parish and a J.H. Monks M.D. Rathmines, St. Peter's but probably outside the city and area covered by the census extract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Hermy, are you related to any of the Monks people who give their profession as printer in the censuses? If you are, my earlier idea of 'art etcher' would fit in with this.

CeannRua wrote: »
    Hermy, are you related to any of the Monks people who give their profession as printer in the censuses? If you are, my earlier idea of 'art etcher' would fit in with this.

Unfortunately I cannot say - I have only identified a few of 'my' Monks on the census returns:

Francis Monks son Francis (nickname Bonzo) and daughter Mary at 6 Fitzwilliam Square, Dublin
    Francis Monks other daughter Margaret and his mother Mary at 7 Convent Road, Dalkey

Bonzo and family at 43 Ellsmere Avenue, Dublin
    Bonzo's sister Margaret at 18 in Clyde Road, Dublin

I haven't yet identified Bonzo's other sister Mary on the 1911 Census.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've found a military record at FindMyPast.co.uk that is very likely to be that of Francis Monks (b. 1849). Would any of you know what this record is likely to contain?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Well, I can answer my own question as I paid for the record which contained fourteen pages among which was confirmation of his birth in St. Andrew's in 1849 and his death in Karachi in 1889. It also gave his trade as grocer prior to signing up, his mothers address at 9 Londonbridge Road in 1864, and mentioned among his children a daughter Mary Anne b. 1879 and son Thomas b. 1881 (both born in India) who I knew nothing about.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭tanoralover

This may be a coincidence but there is a 74 year old Mary Monks living at 7 Convent Road in 1901 with her Indian-born granddaughter Margaret. In 1911 Margaret Monks is a servant in the household of Judge David Fitzgerald. At the same time Francis Jr is the "crier to Mr Justice Fitzgerald".

No coincidence tanoralover - they're all mine.
    I'm curious though as to how Francis and his siblings came to be working for the two Fitzgerald brothers.
    I will eventually get around to researching the brothers Fitzgerald.

Genealogy Forum Mod

...I'm singing off for now.

Barking mad more like!!!:pac:♪♫

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've searched Roots Ireland for a marriage of a John Hearne and Margaret Smith (all years/ all counties) and there is just one match - a marriage in Co. Meath in 1857...
    shanew wrote: »
    an RC marriage from that time will probably show very little detail anyway - should show date, names of bride & groom, and witnesses. You may get addresses e.g. name of a town or townlands, but very rare to see occupations
    Just a follow up - I paid for that record this evening and it hasn't provided me with any clues. No fathers names and the witness names mean nothing either. It ties in with a record I found in the RIC records in Pearse library but I have nothing to tie it to my family tree.

Genealogy Forum Mod

On a slightly related note I'm wondering if any of you might be able to tell me the occupation of John Monks, father of the groom on this cert, said groom being the father-in-law of Rosanna Hearne mentioned above.

Bit of an update re the occupation of John Monks.
    His wife's death cert records that she was the wife of a plasterer.
    I don't think this helps matters.:confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement