Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ereader, not Kindle

Options
  • 22-10-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi looking to get a ereader that has wifi so I can download books. Have about a 100€ to spend. Are the nooks any good or Kobo? I had a sony one before but didnt really like it.

Thanks for abny suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

I was recently pricing Kobos myself. Most of the full size models are €100+ retail. You might find one on sale though.

I ended up buying a Kobo Mini, €50 from Argos. They're often on sale and had been as low as €35 a few months back!

It suits me fine despite having no light and a slightly smaller screen (5" as opposed to the usual 6").

I haven't used the Wifi yet but when researching the purchase I saw that the Kobo Store had a good selection and good reviews. You can download from anywhere (e.g. Amazon or Public Domain stuff) to your PC and transfer on the Kobo via the USB cable.

One misgiving I have is that the initial setup is a bit annoying. Using a Windows PC or Mac you have to download and install the software, create an account (E-Mail and Password only), then the device will download and install updates before activating. The whole process took around forty minutes.

Also the software is a bit crap and heavily geared towards their on-line store, but the device shows up as storage so you can just drag 'n' drop ebooks onto the volume without using the software. However I would highly recommend the free Calibre* software to manage it as it arranges the ebooks neatly on the device and also will convert them to the Kobo preferred Epub format.

So as I said it suits me fine, the smaller screen means you will have to turn the pages one sixth more times than a larger reader but that becomes an automatic muscle movement eventually anyway.

*Linux users, the version of Calibre available from the software manager (and apt-get) is outdated (0.8.x) and doesn't recognise newer devices. You need to install the binary from the official site to get the latest version 1.7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I'd recommend a Kindle, to be honest.

Advertisement