Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifying for carers allowance

Options
  • 22-10-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I have 2 questions. Background first: i am applying for carers in order to care for my elderly parents, but am confused by the forms.

Question 1- From the time you send off a fully complete app form, what is the wait time for the answer?

Question2- Must you be living with the people being cared for? I am married and have a child, so if I need to move to obtain the allowance, that will pose problems.

Hope somebody can answer that question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

I applied for carer's benefit and the decision was made six-eight weeks after I sent the completed forms in. I did check in with the dept frequently, to check which month of applications they had started processing, and how quickly they were getting through them.
    I would advise you to send in as much info as you can with your application. The GP section wasn't adequately completed on my form so I also included consultant reports, allied healthcare reports (physio, SALT etc) -basically anyone who had any professional input with mam.
    With respect to your second question, you may find this thread helpful.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056948762

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

I have 2 questions. Background first: i am applying for carers in order to care for my elderly parents, but am confused by the forms.

Question 1- From the time you send off a fully complete app form, what is the wait time for the answer?

Question2- Must you be living with the people being cared for? I am married and have a child, so if I need to move to obtain the allowance, that will pose problems.

Hope somebody can answer that question.

Are you applying for benefit or allowance. If its benefit it could take 6 to 12 weeks. If its allowance, it could take anytime depending on circumstances. I applied for carers allowance in January and it wasn;t approved till August. I was turned down twice and had to fight and fight. Send in as much evidence as you can and outline yourself what you do every day in detail for your parents.

In answer to you 2nd question. You don't have to be living with them but you need to have a direct link with them and be providing full time care for them. You need to say you are with them for a good few hours every day and are on hand for them all the time. Expect a visit from the inspector

Advertisement