Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Tablet Under €500

• 22-10-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to get a Tablet as I have sold the laptop and just want something handy for watch the odd film and a bit of music and browsing.

Was all set for the Samsung Tab with the stylus pen for €400 odd but now I see the Nexus 10 is out in the next couple of days. iPads are out the window, hate them.

So any other recommendations of a good tablet with a good screen and decent speakers. I was gonna get the new toshiba ones but they are not the best by all accounts.

Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

I'm in a somewhat similar position ... looking for a 10" tablet.

I've discounted the following:
    1) Nexus 10 - doesn't have a sd-card slot. A new model is due shortly (within a few weeks)
    2) Samsung tablets - Low res screens and I have no need for a stylus
    3) Toshiba - not enough reviews

Next best thing I can see is the Sony Xperia Tablet Z - €490 from a shop nearby or €440 from Amazon. It maybe slightly an overkill for what you want to use a tablet for ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well I was out in Harvey Normans and DID along with PC World and TBH there is not alot out there to get if you dont want an apple product. The Samsung Tablets all look shiny and glossy but are very pricey for the performance and the screens are well below average to boot.

I was inches away from getting the Sony Xperia Z but the battery life is not great and it takes (according to reviews) 20+ to re-charge WTF, plue the border around the screen is off putting. Its a nice piece of kit but there is something about it I dont like.

The tosibha tablets have a brilliant screen with over 220dpi but again are sluggish performers. But the entry level one in DID is very well priced....and will do a job for you.

I was holding out for the nexus 10 (even if not expandable) but no where has it to even look at the unit......gonna wait it out and get something closer to xmas.

Advertisement