Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Alcohol pricing to be signed into Law

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

If it did go through I wonder would lower alcohol beers be produced for the Irish market? Something in the sub 4% range.

Anyone worried that they might go the full hog and try and ban home brewing as another method of nannying us?

It would be very hard to stop though, even if they banned the selling of homebrew equipment and ingredients somehow, it doesn't take much to produce alcohol.

I wonder what quality beverage you would get with water, sugar, bread yeast and a bit of coridal/squash?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Anyone worried that they might go the full hog and try and ban home brewing as another method of nannying us?

Im not one bit worried. Partly because I think it'll never happen but also partly because it would be completely unenforceable.
    It would be very hard to stop though, even if they banned the selling of homebrew equipment and ingredients somehow, it doesn't take much to produce alcohol.

If druids could make alcohol 3000 years ago, there is no excuse for the modern man, even if all brew paraphenalia was banned.
    I wonder what quality beverage you would get with water, sugar, bread yeast and a bit of coridal/squash?! :D

Adding honey is basically mead. To answer your question: very drinkable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I reckon the price of all drinks will go up. You'll be paying 4 euros for good beer.

If that's the case time to go on the dry long term

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Is the legislation published yet?
    Here it is now.

The calorie count to be displayed on every single bottle of imported wine and beer (section 11)? Good luck with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Geuze wrote: »
    Note that the min price proposed for 40% spirits 700ml would be approx 22.40.

See here:

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98075965&postcount=2945

Odd. I definitely heard Leo on Drivetime last week say €28.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Here it is now.

The calorie count to be displayed on every single bottle of imported wine and beer (section 11)? Good luck with that!

A quick scan doesn't reveal anything about listing full ingredients on the label.

Ageyev wrote: »
    A quick scan doesn't reveal anything about listing full ingredients on the label.
    It wouldn't. That has never been part of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Odd. I definitely heard Leo on Drivetime last week say €28.

The Bill contains the formulae, see section 10.

Min price = 10 cent per gram - confirmed in bill.

Formula to calculate min price:

A * B * 0.789 = C

A = volume in ml
    B = % alcohol by vol.
    C = grams of alcohol.

Let's get to work..................

700 ml whiskey at 40%

(700)(40)(0.789) = 220.92 grams of alcohol

Meaning a min price of 40% spirits at 22.09.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I marched in protest against repaying the bank senior bondholders..................

.........and I will march in protest against this proposed law.

[I wonder will protests be organised?]

IBEC is the only large organisation against it, and it's more often a protestee than a protester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Shelflife wrote: »
    As a small retailer i would seriously doubt that my margins will increase. The can that we are currently selling for say €1.09 and making 15% or 16c on will increase in price to us from the supplier and we will have to sell it at €1.95 and still make prob the same cash margin on it so we will still make 16c-17c on it or 8.5%.

From the Public Health (Alcohol) Bill 2015

"In this section, “sell” does not include

(a)sell by wholesale, or
    (b)distribute free of charge."

So the minimum charge can only be added at the retail end. But there is nothing stopping the wholesaler raising their pricers by coincidence

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks for the link.

Another question, anyone know of the timing of its likely passage through the Dail and Seanad?

Will it be voted on before the election I mean, or will it be guillotined through?

I used to know these things before the drink got me :P:P:P

Will it be voted on before the election I mean, or will it be guillotined through?

I used to know these things before the drink got me :P
    You could always pour yourself a stiff one and read the entire thread. No, it won't be passed before the election. Which makes it an election issue, if you want it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You could always pour yourself a stiff one and read the entire thread. No, it won't be passed before the election. Which makes it an election issue, if you want it to be.

Ah I was only hopping a ball.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Thanks for the link.

Another question, anyone know of the timing of its likely passage through the Dail and Seanad?

I used to know these things before the drink got me :P:P:P

Varadkar said they need to submit it to the European Commission which is unlikely to be sorted before the election. Beernut made the point that there is broad support so it's unlikely to,dissappear in principle with the next govt.

Varadkar said they need to submit it to the European Commission which is unlikely to be sorted before the election. Beernut made the point that there is broad support so it's unlikely to,dissappear in principle with the next govt.

Surely the European Commission will wait to hear from the European Court as to whether its actually legal first.

syklops wrote: »
    Surely the European Commission will wait to hear from the European Court as to whether its actually legal first.

One would imagine so, yes. Varadkar said he/they are fully prepared to face down any legal challenge. I think it's worth seeing this as a step rather than the end game.

One would imagine so, yes. Varadkar said he/they are fully prepared to face down any legal challenge. I think it's worth seeing this as a step rather than the end game.

He really is a dozy fecker. So he wants to take on the European court? How much moola is that going to cost? The smart thing would have been to wait until after the scottish ruling before signing anything. That way, if it gets turned down, you've not lost any face.

As it stands, Varadkar has pi$$ed a lot of people off, and if the ECJ rules that its not legal he just ends up looking like a buffoon. More so if he appeals and it gets turned down again. Meanwhile people die on trolleys in corridors in the "better" hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭smurra3

Holy **** this thread started 2 years ago.

He really is a dozy fecker. So he wants to take on the European court? How much moola is that going to cost? The smart thing would have been to wait until after the scottish ruling before signing anything. That way, if it gets turned down, you've not lost any face.

As it stands, Varadkar has pi$$ed a lot of people off, and if the ECJ rules that its not legal he just ends up looking like a buffoon. More so if he appeals and it gets turned down again. Meanwhile people die on trolleys in corridors in the "better" hospitals.

Politics aren't always logical. Varadkar won't personally be taking on the EU, the state will but there has been a shift in government/the state policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Beernut made the point that there is broad support so it's unlikely to,dissappear in principle with the next govt.

They'll all be hitting the doorsteps soon glad-handing - this proposal will disappear rapidly if all concerned get enough static from voters about it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Politics aren't always logical. Varadkar won't personally be taking on the EU, the state will but there has been a shift in government/the state policy.

I know the state will be taking on the EU. I'd be perfectly happy to see Varadkar bankrupt himself trying to bring this in, but if the state is funding it, he will have a blank cheque.

Irish politicians sometimes get criticised for being cute hoors. Thats something Varadker doesn't need to worry about. Medical degree or not, Varadker has made himself look inept.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He really is a dozy fecker. So he wants to take on the European court? How much moola is that going to cost?

Irish governments have a long tradition of opposing law, justice, logic and reason in the European courts.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Irish governments have a long tradition of opposing law, justice, logic and reason in the European courts.

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Irish politicians sometimes get criticised for being cute hoors. Thats something Varadker doesn't need to worry about. Medical degree or not, Varadker has made himself look inept.

No. Enda Kenny, in an effort to keep the strongest rival to his leadership in check, has instructed Varadker to push this through.

Varadkar has pi$$ed a lot of people off.
    I'd be willing to bet that for every one of those there are at least two happy that something is finally being done about this terrible scourge*.

*as long as it only affects other people and/or makes me richer, obvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The most interesting thing about this bill is not necessarily the minimum pricing aspect of it but the enforcement of the separation laws.

Basically the alcohol will have to be completely separate in grocery shops to the point that the alcohol is not visible, this means in my case I will effectively have to block off a part of my shop and create a box within my shop.

Those with wine licences will also have to block off the area so that the alcohol is not visible.

This is going to create serious problems for all retailers as they will have to in some cases completely revamp their shop or give up their licence, if they are forced to give up their licence they will in many cases be forced to shed some jobs as well.

Its just another part of a poorly thought out and constructed piece of legislation which merely gives the impression of doing something as opposed to actually tackling the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Its just another part of a poorly thought out and constructed piece of legislation which merely gives the impression of doing something as opposed to actually tackling the problem.
    ]

As per usual for Irish legislators.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The most interesting thing about this bill is not necessarily the minimum pricing aspect of it but the enforcement of the separation laws.
    Thats if they bother enforcing it to the exact wording. Look at the smoking ban, many say it was successful but technically the majority of "smoking areas" I see in dublin city centre pubs are illegal. But they are not outright taking the piss so it's tolerated.

I often walk through a rugby pitch near me, reading that bill it would seem I cannot wear a few tshirts & hats I have there if a match is going on as they have small drinks logos on them.

Has anyone spotted any obvious loopholes or work arounds in it?

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Thats if they bother enforcing it to the exact wording. Look at the smoking ban, many say it was successful but technically the majority of "smoking areas" I see in dublin city centre pubs are illegal. But they are not outright taking the piss so it's tolerated.

I often walk through a rugby pitch near me, reading that bill it would seem I cannot wear a few tshirts & hats I have there if a match is going on as they have small drinks logos on them.

Has anyone spotted any obvious loopholes or work arounds in it?
    They seem to have pretty much covered everything alas. Homebrew/border runs are the option if they do somehow get this through. Or Toilet Duck.

Advertisement