Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car insurance help?!

Options
  • 23-10-2013 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Im 17, have had my driving lessons, have a 1.1 citroen saxo, ready to drive but cant insure it! All the quotes are 2000+!! My mother has an out of date provisional licence, and she has lots of no claims! I have got quotes with her as named driver and they are affordable.. But can i use her as main driver with an out of date licence? She has no intention of driving again!
    Please help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Avien

jay.somers wrote: »
    Im 17, have had my driving lessons, have a 1.1 citroen saxo, ready to drive but cant insure it! All the quotes are 2000+!! My mother has an out of date provisional licence, and she has lots of no claims! I have got quotes with her as named driver and they are affordable.. But can i use her as main driver with an out of date licence? She has no intention of driving again!
    I'm not a Rep for Liberty, but I work in the insurance industry.

You can't do this because it is insurance fraud. I know it doesn't seem like such a big deal, but you are trying to misrepresent the risk that you as a driver represent.

You would essentially be trying to hide your inexperience behind an older driver for a cheaper rate which doesn't reflect the real risk that the insurance company is taking.

It's really not worth risking the insurance company declining to cover the claim. Think about what happens if you crash into another car and are at fault for it. The other party is injured so (s)he puts in a claim. The claims department investigates and all of a sudden they realise that you are the real main driver, not your mother, so they decline to cover you because you lied at the inception of the policy.

Because of the law in Ireland they still have to settle the third party you crashed into. The average personal injury compensation in Ireland is €27,000 plus all associated legal costs on top, which could be another 20k between their solicitors and the third party if it ends up in court. What if there are multiple injury claims from the car you crashed into? That's a lot of money that the insurer now has to pay out.

But because they have declined to indemnify you, they will be looking for you to pay it all back (and if you are 17 now, you will be 18/19 or 20 before any of this recovery action happens and therefore an adult under the law).All of a sudden your cheaper insurance premium is starting to look a lot more expensive as the court orders a garnish to your salary/dole or places a judgement order against you, meaning that in the future once you do get an earning or come into money the Insurer can seek to get their money back.

Don't take the risk, pay the right premium and you will never have to worry about such an event happening. Try a broker, they might be able to get something cheaper, but less than 2k for a 17 year old first time driver would be an achievement.

Best of luck in trying to get covered.

• Company Representative Posts: 163 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Una

jay.somers wrote: »
    Hi jay.somers

I appreciate its difficult starting off with your first insurance policy. Why not PM me your details so I can have a look at your quotation to make sure you are getting the best deal possible.

Unfortunately your mother cannot take out an insurance policy while she does not hold a valid driving licence. Also, if you are the registered owner of the vehicle you must be the policyholder. 

We also offer a payment plan to help spread the cost of the premium over the year.

Una

Advertisement