Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car and Trailer Driving licence Announcement

• 23-10-2013 8:00am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I didn't hear much about this :eek: you only have till the 8th of Nov if you want to apply. Copied from http://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2013/Car-and-Trailer-Driving-Licence-Changes/

It has been decided that a person who held a full driving licence for
    a car before 13 November 1989 and who did not then avail of the
    car and trailer licence option may now do so.

To establish whether a driver is entitled to apply for the car and trailer licence the Road Safety Authority (RSA) must be satisfied that the driver held the car licence before 13 November 1989 and this initial assessment is being carried
    out by the RSA. You must have been born before 13 November 1972
    and have held a full driving licence for a car before 13 November 1989
    in order to apply.

A person who believes that s/he is now entitled to the car and trailer
    licence should now take the following steps-

Complete an Initial Assessment Form.
    Once completed, you can return the form to the Road Safety
    Authority, Ballina, Co. Mayo.
    The RSA will carry out its assessment and advise you of the outcome.
    If the initial assessment is positive you must then formally apply for
    the licence.
    Any person who wishes to be considered must complete the Initial Assessment Form(PDF) and return it to the RSA by Friday 8 November 2013.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭murphym7

I honestly dont know what this means? What is the car and trailer licence? Am I not pernitted to tow a trailer with my normal full car license? Have I been doing wrong all these years?:eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

murphym7 wrote: »
    I honestly dont know what this means? What is the car and trailer licence? Am I not pernitted to tow a trailer with my normal full car license? Have I been doing wrong all these years?:eek:

You can tow up to a max of 750kg after that you will now need an EB licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Bloody hell, that was a sneaky one! I better get the form sent off so.
    Also, I believe there is going to be greater enforcement of the law pertaining to the trailer itself. Which means those Un braked American trailers like the one under my sports boat will be unusable.
    Thanks for the heads up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hifive wrote: »
    Bloody hell, that was a sneaky one! I better get the form sent off so.
    Also, I believe there is going to be greater enforcement of the law pertaining to the trailer itself. Which means those Un braked American trailers like the one under my sports boat will be unusable.
    Thanks for the heads up.

You have to be careful with some of the American trailers as the tow hitch can be slightly smaller/bigger than ours and may not fit the ball right, a lot of the American imports came with just basic launching trollies trailers with no ID plates that are also oversized for our roads but you may be able to get yours adapted to take a breaking system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Daibheid

They are totally cracking down on cars towing trailers - I got pulled by an unmarked Traffic car on the Long Mile Road (Dublin). He said I was the first trailer in a week he'd pulled that had a trailer license. He absolutely knew his stuff on brakes, security chain, etc. Others I know towing trailers have had grief too so if you haven't a trailer license you'd better get one. BTW the test is no walk in the park either.

You also want to read your insurance policy very carefully. Two years ago I discovered mine only covered me for a single axle trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

fergal.b wrote: »
    You can tow up to a max of 750kg after that you will now need an EB licence.

Fergal, did you mean BE licence.

I have BE, but don't see EB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

wilson10 wrote: »
    Fergal, did you mean BE licence.

I have BE, but don't see EB

I think it depends on when your licence was issued what way it's written - mine has the categories on the left, and E+ added to any of them means the addition of a trailer.

But... does anyone who held one of the old purple wallet-style licences (I'm showing my age now :D) not automatically have the E+ to go with their tested categories? Plus the next category up, which was given when the new licences were give out? (I'm not sure if the categories changed in some way, that justified this handing out of an extra category.....)

I only ever did the car test, but have B (car) and C1 (rigid vehicle up to 7500kg), and also the E+ for both, which means a trailer added to both (bringing the EC1 total weight up to 12,000kg).

Anyway, if they're clamping down on this, and the above isn't/wasn't automatic, then fair play to Fergal for putting us all on notice! I can't remember when the old-style licences were replaced by the current pink ones - not sure if that date co-incides with the date mentioned in the OP.....

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Masseymad

after the 8th of november how can you get one?

Masseymad wrote: »
    after the 8th of november how can you get one?

This should answer your questions. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/learner_driving_permits_for_trailers.html

Car and trailer driving licence: Anyone who held a full driving licence for a car before 13 November 1989, and who did not avail of the car and trailer licence option then, may be able to do so by submitting an assessment form to the Road Safety Authority by 8 November 2013. Further information is available on the Road Safety Authority’s website. http://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/2013/Car-and-Trailer-Driving-Licence-Changes/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

another sneaky law that was brought in by the rsa. is if you get caught with out a valid nct cert twice in two years its an automatic 1 year ban the local garage told told me when i was getting work done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

davlacey wrote: »
    another sneaky law that was brought in by the rsa. is if you get caught with out a valid nct cert twice in two years its an automatic 1 year ban the local garage told told me when i was getting work done.

Try booking one! Just tried there and the only dates available between now and April are in the week of the 16th-21st December. What a big fat FU from the RSA.

Advertisement