Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EWE lambs getting over fat

Options
  • 23-10-2013 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Got my factory docket back today and I was cut on all my ewe lambs because they all graded U4 which, the factory think is reason enough to cut me 30c/kg.the lambs are on 500g of lamb finisher pellets from lakeland, should I cut back on meal to stop them getting fat or should I change to a lower energy higher proein feed ?Just dont want them going back if i cut down on the meal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

roosky wrote: »
    Got my factory docket back today and I was cut on all my ewe lambs because they all graded U4 which, the factory think is reason enough to cut me 30c/kg.the lambs are on 500g of lamb finisher pellets from lakeland, should I cut back on meal to stop them getting fat or should I change to a lower energy higher proein feed ?Just dont want them going back if i cut down on the meal

Would you not bring them to the mart instead? Butchers prefer a bit of fat on them. What sort of live weights are you sending them to the factory at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

sending tem at 46-47 kg and they killed out between 20.8kg and 22.6 kg, dont really have time fro the mart and if you bring them there it all depends on whos there that night !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

sending tem at 46-47 kg and they killed out between 20.8kg and 22.6 kg, dont really have time fro the mart and if you bring them there it all depends on whos there that night !

Find carrigallen night mart to be great. Good consistant prices and they get through them very fast. Would tend to have them about 50kg for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

wonder waht breed are they ?

one option would be maybe draft a little lighter .. but assuming you are buying the meal around €300 per ton or less and getting a decent dlw gain you are covering your costs with a little to spare

mart option .. maybe for a small number , other than that it's like russian roulette at least in any mart in this region

as much as I'm not exactly a fan of the factories, I'd certainly prefer to take my chances that with the tanglers at the ring side

they are texel and charolais lambs out of suffolk x ewes , its hard to know im not selling then at this stage to a man to finish them like i got 99 euro for the best of them yesterday and 93 euro was the worst price so its still worth finishing them just want to reduce the fat grade they are getting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

you must of got a good initial quote for them to come into that money. what did they quote ya

would you not consider not mealing them at all, i'm guessing they must still be on very good grass to get a fat score 4, 500g a day shouldnt have that much of an influence

ya they are on good grass just was getting it very hard to get them to killing weights so introduced meal, dont knok the original quote because im in a producers group but the price/ kg varied from 4.60c/kg to 4.15c/kg depending on carcass weight and condition with my ewe lambs getting cut for being fat score 4

if you were getting 4.60 they mustn't of cut you at all as they are only quoting 4.35 in the factories. if €93 was worst price I would be happy enough

but razor you know as well as i do quotes in the journal or where ever are very far off the mark.....this is my point i am very happy with the killout and final price its just pointless feeding them to put on fat that ends up getting money taken off them. ill halve the meal to the ewes and see how the next batch kill out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lastin

I would be slow to cut back on the meal at this time of year you need lambs gone. Ewe lambs will always be overfat at lighter weights than males, so you have to kill them at a lighter weight

• Advertisement

but razor you know as well as i do quotes in the journal or where ever are very far off the mark.....this is my point i am very happy with the killout and final price its just pointless feeding them to put on fat that ends up getting money taken off them. ill halve the meal to the ewes and see how the next batch kill out

agreed, but i dont understand op, last weeks quotes were 435 and i am guessing group bonus is 25/30c for u3 and a less for r3. if you got 460 for u4 lambs you must of got bonus
    were they all u4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

reilig wrote: »
    Find carrigallen night mart to be great. Good consistant prices and they get through them very fast. Would tend to have them about 50kg for it.

Were you there last night, relig?
    very small turnout, no-one likes drafting lambs in the rain, it seems!
    What was there was all fairly small stores, probably late lambs. Didn't wait, as not interested. went to Granard today, tiny turnout. pen of 11 lambs, rams and ewes, 51kg, sold for 101 euro. Only 2 buyers there. Pen of fat ewes unsold at 87 euro.
    Few pens of nice 2 year old ewes sold at 110 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭easymoney!

Were you there last night, relig?
    very small turnout, no-one likes drafting lambs in the rain, it seems!
    What was there was all fairly small stores, probably late lambs. Didn't wait, as not interested. went to Granard today, tiny turnout. pen of 11 lambs, rams and ewes, 51kg, sold for 101 euro. Only 2 buyers there. Pen of fat ewes unsold at 87 euro.
    Few pens of nice 2 year old ewes sold at 110 euro.

did ya see and feeding ewes or culls at alright money on your travels

easymoney! wrote: »
    did ya see and feeding ewes or culls at alright money on your travels

didn't see any sold Monday night in Carrigallen, as I was looking for a few youngish breeding ewes, and didn't hang about.
    None at all in Granard.
    2 weeks ago in Granard, a single ewe, who didn't look to be a long tern proposition, was in a pen on her own. Auctioneer started at 50, came down and down, till he got to a tenner. He said "will nobody bid me a euro at all today" so someone bid him a euro, and that was it. sold for €1.00!
    Had the young lassie with me,(too ill to go to school a few hours earlier:rolleyes:) and she suddenly realised that she had a euro in her pocket.
    Was gutted when I explained that she was sold!

didn't see any Monday night in Carrigallen, as I was looking for a few youngish breeding ewes, and didn't hang about.
    None at all in Granard.
    2 weeks ago in Granard, a single ewe, who didn't look to be a long tern proposition, was in a pen on her own. Auctioneer started at 50, came down and down, till he got to a tenner. He said "will nobody bid me a euro at all today" so someone bid him a euro, and that was it. sold for €1.00!
    Had the young lassie with me,(too ill to go to school a few hours earlier:rolleyes:) and she suddenly realised that she had a euro in her pocket.
    Was gutted when I explained that she was sold!

haha thats how started out oul yokes that would fair out good enough or RIP the following week! i take she was on the way out,,, granards gone very bad for sheep aint it... carnaross seems to be doing all the busniess

Granard had 6 pens of sheep in total. Some change from 15 years ago!

Carrigallen selling sheep in a heifer ring. Endless shunting of sheep from pen to scales to ring back to pen. the yard men earn their money on a Monday night!

Must hit Carnaross for a gawp next week.

Granard had 6 pens of sheep in total. Some change from 15 years ago!

Carrigallen selling sheep in a heifer ring. Endless shunting of sheep from pen to scales to ring back to pen. the yard men earn their money on a Monday night!

Must hit Carnaross for a gawp next week.

yea remember it was the place to go when i was younger... yea its getting a bit smaller but still every pen full if that makes sence ! theres no buyers in granard only the notable few

razor8 wrote: »
    agreed, but i dont understand op, last weeks quotes were 435 and i am guessing group bonus is 25/30c for u3 and a less for r3. if you got 460 for u4 lambs you must of got bonus
    were they all u4?

No no got 460 for ram lambs that were u3 and were 21 - 22 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

One of the disadvantages of being in a producer group is that you get cut hard if the lambs are not the exact spec that the factory and the group agreed on

One of the disadvantages of being in a producer group is that you get cut hard if the lambs are not the exact spec that the factory and the group agreed on

factories are just using and abusing groups for their gain only for a long while.

• Advertisement

No no got 460 for ram lambs that were u3 and were 21 - 22 kg

I see now, I thought you only brought ewe lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

factories are just using and abusing groups for their gain only for a long while.

totally agree

my agent tells me, factories can source from "soft" farmer sellers and the marts without the groups

ya that is the problem but where I justify it is that my "local" factory was 45 mins drive away thats at least 3 hours between leaving and getting home and then i tended to only go when i had a load which ment having six not quite ready lambs and six over fit lambs......with my producers group its ten mins to drop off so its all done in an hour plus the diesel saving is huge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

ya that is the problem but where I justify it is that my "local" factory was 45 mins drive away thats at least 3 hours between leaving and getting home and then i tended to only go when i had a load which ment having six not quite ready lambs and six over fit lambs......with my producers group its ten mins to drop off so its all done in an hour plus the diesel saving is huge

Where do u drop them. Is it another farm or a collection point where the factory collects them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

They don't appreciate what groups do for them, maybe 7-800 lambs assembled for them and then a coordinator to sort them in the lairage.
    But its very handy for the farmers in the group, A group gives the small supplier the same price as the big supplier, was manning a depot this morning and one farmer left in 3 lambs and was home for breakfast...what would it cost him to go to the mart.
    We buy stuff as a group which is a help too

sea12 wrote: »
    Where do u drop them. Is it another farm or a collection point where the factory collects them.

Just a collection point where 5-10 farmers meet a lorry that brings them

Advertisement