Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Real Sociedad Match Thread. K/o19.45 23/10/14 RTE2 & SS1

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Young has looked lively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Danye wrote: »
    This is like a Europa League fixture between two mediocre teams.

Another poor performance from us. Luckily enough RS weren't up too much.

roflcopter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

RS are appalling. Lucky we have such a weak group. Imagine we had Milan or some other stronger teams. We still have no control in midfield. Not positive, but a result is a result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Danye

roflcopter

????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

3 points. we move on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

1-0 at home through a freak o.g. against a really poor team. Not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

This is like a Europa League fixture between two mediocre teams.

Another poor performance from us. Luckily enough RS weren't up too much.
    I'm not even a United fan - but even I can see this was a very good performance. Haven't seen all United's games, but this is probably the best I've seen them play this season. Should have won by 3-4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Bring on Stoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well made tough work of that. But another win in the bag for them I'd say moyes was heart attack territory a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ill take that.

Nothing special, but **** cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm not even a United fan - but even I can see this was a very good performance. Haven't seen all United's games, but this is probably the best I've seen them play this season. Should have won by 3-4.

Really. Real hit the post twice and were well on top for most of the first half. Utd deserved to win but I thought they were very average against a poor poor team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Well Dunphy's full of s**te as usual. Rooney was class this evening. I agree they have problems but Dunphy's just stirring. He should be pensioned off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im delighted people are writing us off.

The more the better.

Keep them coming.

Your a United fan in disguise Francie! :)

Your definition of very good ranges greatly from my very good.

Jesus Whelan is spouting some ****e.

Im delighted people are writing us off.

The more the better.

Keep them coming.

I don't think it's anyone writing you off. United through their on pitch performances are doing that themselves.

You'd want to some optimist to expect some miracle turn around in the league.

No chance against the bigger European sides with that squad tbf

adox wrote: »

I'm not disagreeing with you but I'm interested as to why you think he's spouting ****e?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

No chance of talking about the game RTE? No we'll just hang Moyes at every attempt and basically call him inept. Gang of muppets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

????

I don't think we performed poorly. Not amazingly well, but not poorly.

We created a lot of chances in the second half. Kagawa got 90 mins and put in a very decent shift. Rooney played very well also. We also kept a clean sheet.

Granted RS weren't up to much, we didn't manage to finish any of the second half chances, we didn't control the midfield as much as we should, and some of the defending was decidedly nervy, but it's a result, and given how the season has gone to date, I'll take that.

I'd expect a good few of our players to take confidence from tonight, and that can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement

No chance of talking about the game RTE? No we'll just hang Moyes at every attempt and basically call him inept. Gang of muppets.

There's half an hour of discussion tbf so the game will be covered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭CSF

.........well he is

I'm not disagreeing with you but I'm interested as to why you think he's spouting ****e?

Mainly his little rant there about Carrick being the slowest midfielder in the premier league made me hit the keyboard.
    Of all the midfield problems we have, Carrick isn't one of them. Calling him the slowest midfielder/slowest passer in the league in just not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

niallo27 wrote: »
    Really. Real hit the post twice and were well on top for most of the first half. Utd deserved to win but I thought they were very average against a poor poor team.
    Sociedad are just the kind of team who have caused United problems in the past. Athletic Bilbao (a team at the around the same level as Sociedad) destroyed United last year.

Mainly his little rant there about Carrick being the slowest midfielder in the premier league made me hit the keyboard.
    Of all the midfield problems we have, Carrick isn't one of them. Calling him the slowest midfielder/slowest passer in the league in just not true.
    Yeah that was pretty stupid alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Some of what Whelan said is spot on .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Sociedad are just the kind of team who have caused United problems in the past. Athletic Bilbao (a team at the around the same level as Sociedad) destroyed United last year.

Would you stop man that Bilbao team would of murdered this Sociedad team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

That was two years ago and Real Sociedad are nothing like Bilbao were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

listermint wrote: »
    There's half an hour of discussion tbf so the game will be covered

There'll be 27 and a half mins discussion of how United are so poor, Moyes isn't good enough and Rooney looks disinterested. The remaining 2 and half mins will be spent boringly running through one or two chances and rubbishing United and their defending etc.

They need to give it up.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I've elaborated on it in response to Danye.

Scumbag RTE pundits:

Claim utd and moyes need to be rid of fergie's ghost completely......spend the whole analysis saying that these performances wouldn't have happened under fergie.

They've become a parody of themselves, and can't even pronounce the names of half the players correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Zico wrote: »
    That was two years ago and Real Sociedad are nothing like Bilbao were.

Exactly, Sociedad had no class the way that Bilbao team had with the likes of Martinez, Munuain and Llorente.

There'll be 27 and a half mins discussion of how United are so poor, Moyes isn't good enough and Rooney looks disinterested. The remaining 2 and half mins will be spent boringly running through one or two chances and rubbishing United and their defending etc.

They need to give it up.

Suppose you have a point now.

Still watching though ;-)

Suppose that's the point :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Love Eamo

I actually think Whelan is very good. I don't agree with what he said about Carrick though. He's a top player who's vastly underrated.

But some of what he said is spot on IMO.

I actually think Whelan is very good. I don't agree with what he said about Carrick though. He's a top player who's vastly underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Yet another horrible game to watch...

Win's a win but opposition were awful and hard work was made of it yet again. Regardless of supporting Moyes (which everyone should), any realist can see things aren't going to improve anytime soon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I didnt notice Adox had replied to the post.I wouldnt agree with him on Carrick,Carrick isn't a problem for us but there are gaping holes in the midfield as a unit.I don't think Valencia,Giggs and Young are good enough to be getting game time .
    Fellaini hasn't done much since he joined but I think he needs time to settle in and find his role in the team.
    I think we need 2 and probably 3 players to come into the team for midfield/wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Cuba gooding jnr would be impressed with dunphy's performance this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Must be said, regardless of whatever has gone on off the field - Rooney has been an absolute credit on the field. Haven't seen a game this season where he hasn't give it everything and performed. We'd be in a much worse place now if it weren't for him.

Agreed. Rooney ran his heart out and gave 100% yet again. I honestly think that's why the fans have not turned against him even with all the talk of transfer requests and the like. He is the opposite of a prima donna player in that once he pulls on the jersey and goes out there on the pitch he does his best and gives you total effort and committment.

ankles wrote: »
    Well Dunphy's full of s**te as usual. Rooney was class this evening. I agree they have problems but Dunphy's just stirring. He should be pensioned off

A lot of what he said is true though. Tonight only confirmed what we already knew, that this is not a good United team. They stumbled over the line against surprisingly poor opposition.

But Dunphy is usually falling over himself to praise Rooney so don't know why he didn't rate his performance tonight. I think Rooney has been one of the few success stories of this season. He is showing that hunger and appetite again, even if next Summer's World Cup probably has a lot to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I thought it was a great game to watch, albeit I'm a complete neutral. Some promising signs tonight even if it wasn't against the tightest opposition.

I'm not a fan of united's wingers in general but in fairness to moyes, it is possible that he sees them mainly as created width so the snazzy players like kagawa and rooney have a bit more space. He likes crossing to rvp but for me, I'd say the wingers are mainly as I said to open up the center.

Giggs actually had a decent second half and Kagawa with a bit of confidence would be tearing new assholes in defences left right and center.

The back four are making a habit out of looking dodgy though!

Advertisement