Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solved *** Share folder between Win 7 and Win XP *** Solved

Options
  • 23-10-2013 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

What started out to be a simple task @ 9.30am this morning has turned out to be a pain in the butt :D

I have 2 machines currently on my home network, one a Windows 7 Ultimate and the other a Windows XP Pro SP3

I want to share a folder on the Win 7 machine with the XP machine.

Here's what I've done:

Turned on all options for sharing on the Win 7 machine via the "Network and Sharing Center"

Created a new folder on the Win 7 machine (Called it Miniserver)

Right clicked the folder and allowed sharing

Mapped a network drive to that new folder (Miniserver) on the Win 7 machine.

Got the path to the shared folder & headed over to the XP machine

Went to "Map Network Drive"

Entered the path to the new shared folder on the 7 machine in the form of

\\server\share (server being the name of the Win 7 machine and share being the name of the shared folder on the 7 machine)

Clicked OK

It's returning the following error

NetworkConnectionFail_zpscba88377.jpg

Where should I be looking to try allow this connection?

I'm using windows Firewall + MSE on both machines if that's of any significance? (no other 3rd party security software involved)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Can you browse to it with "Start" ----> "My Computer"
    >

Run this on the Win 7 pc to see if its really offering it up

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/sysinternals/bb897442%28en-us%29.aspx

sftp server/client if you dont havve time for fixing Windows

http://www.coreftp.com/server/

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Appreciate your quick response by the way ;)

Well, I'm kind of on a mission to nail this now purely because I don't want it to get the better of me (as he trows the monitor out the window) :D

Anyway,

Ran ShareEnum on the 7 machine & it both sees the share and allows me to connect to it & says I have read write permissions..

Ran ShareEnum on the XP machine and the share appears but can't connect & says Access Type is "Denied"

I can browse to the share on the XP machine too & see it but can't connect

NetworkConnectionFail2_zpsb203aac8.jpg

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

When you share the folder on the win7 machine, you need to choose people to share it with. Choose everyone. Or did you do that already?

MarkR wrote: »
    When you share the folder on the win7 machine, you need to choose people to share it with. Choose everyone. Or did you do that already?

Yes I had done that Mark & it has full permissions.

What's bugging me is that I have this setup for ages in reverse (as in the share folder (a different folder & name) on the XP machine shared to the Win 7 machine and it works just fine)

Some little thing on the Win 7 settings is probably the culprit here?

I think too that I may have read somewhre that the network group which is set "MSHOME" by default on the XP machine has to be changed to "WORKGROUP" on the XP machine in order to be able to share a Win 7 share with it. I have changed that on the XP machine but it made no difference. Is it true that this is the case?

• Advertisement

Both are definitely named "WORKGROUP" so that's OK.

I know little about this stuff so I'm going to ask this just in case it has any significance... Both machines have static internal IP's set, does that matter?

Thats grand

In Windows 7 64bit you will need to go to the folder you want shared share it but there is one additional step.
    Go to securities and add Everyone as Full Control to the securities list.
    That should give you the access to goto the share

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=35784

gctest50 wrote: »

Kudos gctest50, excellent find :) That was indeed the solution and everything is working perfectly now.

Thanks to all who weighed in to help, I won't be forgetting that little step anytime soon :D

Mum! you can tell them lads with the straight jacket they can go now :eek:

Advertisement