Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to maintain landline for Fibre?

• 23-10-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

(apologies if this has been asked already)

We are due eFibre in April - June 2104 it seems (Crosshaven), so realistically that might be a year away.
    Meantime - do I need to hold on to my landline?

I assume the same copper line is used from my house to the cabinet, wherever it may be. Right now I suspect the line goes direct to the exchange about 2 km away.

I only keep the landline to get broadband (Vodafone) "up to 7 MBps" actual 2.5MBps. But the connection is poor, I get "unexplained network error" a lot and sending large files (over 1MByte) can take repeated attempts. YouTube is a disaster - click play, click play, click play.......... so I am tempted to go NovaNetworks as I have a clear line of sight to their transmitter.

Nova has a good rep, but its more expensive than VF, or eFibre, has installation costs and I don't want to get tied into a long contract.

But if I give up the line, am I stymied when fibre finally arrives?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They provide DSL before they provide VDSL afaik, so it'd delay your order when VDSL is available if you cancelled the current line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

If you want to give up the landline now, couldn't you order it again closer to the fibre cab going live. You certainly need a copper connection between your house and the cab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

phog wrote: »
    If you want to give up the landline now, couldn't you order it again closer to the fibre cab going live. You certainly need a copper connection between your house and the cab.

AFAIK they charge for disconnection and/or reconnection. On the other hand it's, what, €20 a month down the drain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    (apologies if this has been asked already)

We are due eFibre in April - June 2104 it seems (Crosshaven), so realistically that might be a year away.
    Meantime - do I need to hold on to my landline?

I assume the same copper line is used from my house to the cabinet, wherever it may be. Right now I suspect the line goes direct to the exchange about 2 km away.

I only keep the landline to get broadband (Vodafone) "up to 7 MBps" actual 2.5MBps. But the connection is poor, I get "unexplained network error" a lot and sending large files (over 1MByte) can take repeated attempts. YouTube is a disaster - click play, click play, click play.......... so I am tempted to go NovaNetworks as I have a clear line of sight to their transmitter.

Nova has a good rep, but its more expensive than VF, or eFibre, has installation costs and I don't want to get tied into a long contract.

But if I give up the line, am I stymied when fibre finally arrives?

Thanks.

adsl = copper from your house to the exchange (max range 8km)

vdsl2 fttc (Fibre to the cabinet) = copper (max distance 1200m to cabinet) then optical cable from cabinet to exchange

the cabinet acts like a mini exchange

vdsl2 ftth (fibre to home) = optical cable from your house to cabinet to exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

adsl = copper from your house to the exchange (max range 8km)

vdsl2 fttc (Fibre to the cabinet) = copper (max distance 1200m to cabinet) then optical cable from cabinet to exchange

the cabinet acts like a mini exchange

vdsl2 ftth (fibre to home) = optical cable from your house to cabinet to exchange
    When I worked with AT&T microelectronics there was a program called FTTF - fiber to the farm! It seems daft, but for remote areas in rural US it was/is cheaper to run fiber cable over very long distances as fiber doesn't require amplifiers and the need to provide power to these, unlike copper. Now, of course, copper itself is getting expensive and a target for thieves whereas fibre cable is getting cheaper and useless to thieves.
    Just a little nugget of useless information.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

no cabinets listed on the map yet http://irelandoffline.org/map/

this is not good news if you aren't close to a cabinet
    http://nbnmyths.wordpress.com/why-not-fttn/

jlVl5Qx.gif

2.5MB means you aren't in ADSL2 land :(
    kiQyktF.jpg

Keep an eye on the ESB
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056755516

Advertisement