Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Care Assistant workers rights

Options
  • 23-10-2013 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi I'm just enquiring can anyone tell me if someone is working in a residential care setting as a Care Assistant doing relief work for that organisation and somebody comes in the door after them also working as Care Assistant doing relief work and then they are the one's that end up getting on a line (proper rota / regular hours) before the the person that started before them in that organisation. Is that allowed? Is there a case for the other person that has being working there longer than the person that actually got the line that would have wanted a line? Or is it just at the discretion of the employer?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

No case short of the big 7 for discrimination basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

The other person may have just been more suitable for the role. Unless there was a prior agreement that you were next in line for the regular hours, then the employer can do what they want.
    Were there interviews for the position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭martineire

ElleEm wrote: »
    The other person may have just been more suitable for the role. Unless there was a prior agreement that you were next in line for the regular hours, then the employer can do what they want.
    Were there interviews for the position?

No just interviews for relief work in this organisation but usually if a line arises it would be filled by a relief staff. Just wondering was there such a thing if u were there longer would u be entitled for that line.

martineire wrote: »
    No just interviews for relief work in this organisation but usually if a line arises it would be filled by a relief staff. Just wondering was there such a thing if u were there longer would u be entitled for that line.

Nope, no entitlements. They were probably the better person for the job.

Nope, no entitlements. They were probably the better person for the job.

Or it could be a case that I'm more suited to the unit I'm currently in ;-)

• Advertisement

martineire wrote: »
    Or it could be a case that I'm more suited to the unit I'm currently in ;-)

That could very well be the case :-D I thought it was relief in the same place.

That could very well be the case :-D I thought it was relief in the same place.
    No I am currently working in a different unit but the line is in a unit I have previously worked in.

Advertisement