Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario 3D World

Options
  • 23-10-2013 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Wii U, lol!!! Oh wait...f*** me. This looks just amazing. Despite underwhelming initial impressions, could be Mario Galaxy 2 good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Ign gave it a 9.6 before taken the video down their only problem with the game being the 4 player camera angle

No doubt its going to be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Game looks absolutely fantastic.

With this, Wind Waker HD, and Miyamoto hinting that Mario Galaxy isn't dead, I'll be seriously considering a Wii U soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

So the good folks over at The us have the pleasure to choose mario 3d world, zelda lbw or an xbox one , too bad only the games are more relevent :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Could be the best gaming Christmas in years, and that's ignoring xbox and ps4.

This and Zelda...

I'm very, very excited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Ign gave it a 9.6 before taken the video down their only problem with the game being the 4 player camera angle

No doubt its going to be amazing

Toyed with a 10 myself

Did I decide on 10? We'll find out later this week...
    I did not

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,579 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Edge gave it a 9, high praise indeed.
    The WiiU deserves to sell well given the amazing exclusive titles on the format.
    And given the rather m'eh launch line ups for the PS4 and Xbox One I hope everyone else sees it too.
    Sadly they probably won't and instead will trip over themselves to own another way to, at this point at least, play games they already own or can buy on existing hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

This looks class and has peaked my interest in getting a WiiU for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

Damn. I was so excited thinking it was getting released tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Edge gave it a 9, high praise indeed.
    The WiiU deserves to sell well given the amazing exclusive titles on the format.

What exclusives are these? From my count there are two. This and Pikman 3.

I'll defnitely pick up a Wii U eventually but it won't be until they release at least another 2 or 3 exclusives (Zelda and Metroid preferably)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zelda Wind Waker, Lego Undercover, Pikmin3, New Super Mario Bros U (and the Luigi DLC), Nintendo Land, Wonderful 101, Zombie U.

I've not even touched downloadable titles. For the price Earthbound goes for on ebay it's pretty much counts as a bargain on the system as well since it's one of the best games ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Most of those games have only done "OK" critically... are Wonderful 101 and Zombie U actually amazing ? I thought the latter was big disappointment ?

The only games that look amazing to me are the Zelda remake and this game. Maybe next Christmas they'll have enough exclusives to make it worth while for me.

I really hope the Wii U sales pick up for the sake of the industry. There's a ludicrous amount of quality on the platform that's not selling because nobody has bothered to buy the bloody system

Magill wrote: »
    Most of those games have only done "OK" critically... are Wonderful 101 and Zombie U actually amazing ? I thought the latter was big disappointment ?

The only games that look amazing to me are the Zelda remake and this game. Maybe next Christmas they'll have enough exclusives to make it worth while for me.

ZombiU was great. I thought The Wonderful 101 was garbage though

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Zelda Wind Waker, Lego Undercover, Pikmin3, New Super Mario Bros U (and the Luigi DLC), Nintendo Land, Wonderful 101, Zombie U.

I've not even touched downloadable titles. For the price Earthbound goes for on ebay it's pretty much counts as a bargain on the system as well since it's one of the best games ever made.

Wonderful 101 is the only other one that I would say interests me. While Wind Waker looks gorgeous. it's a game I already own and intend on playing on my Wii when i get home for Christmas.

Certainly nowhere near an outstanding library.

tok9 wrote: »
    Certainly nowhere near an outstanding library.

For a console that's a year old, I'd consider it to have a very strong library. Just going on exclusives, you've got:

Scribblenauts Unlimited
    Scribblenauts Unmasked
    Lego City Undercover
    New Super Mario Bros. U
    New Super Luigi U
    Super Mario 3D World
    Nintendo Land
    Pikmin 3
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
    ZombiU

And on the way are:

Mario Kart 8
    Bayonetta 2
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    Super Smash Bros
    New Zelda
    Yarn Yoshi

That's 16 games there that are, or will be, essential purchases. About 1.3 a month. That's a reasonable turnaround for a relatively young console

I'm sure a lot of those are good games but for me personally there are 6 I would be interested in and I'm being generous on two as I have Wind Waker and I doubt the next Zelda will be out within a year but if it is I'll be much closer to getting a Wii U. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I thought Zombiu was pretty crap if I'm honest. Played for like 2 hours and got bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends and now it seems especially Mario 3D World are the reasons to get a Wii U. W101 has divided critics, as have ZombiiU and Lego City. Wind Waker is beautiful, but its a full-price remake (of a Zelda that's also divisive.) SMBU is good, but not in the league of classic 2D Mario. Nintendoland good as a multiplayer, not so much single player. And I think DK: Tropical Freeze is the only dated game for next year (could easily be the ONLY major release for the first half of next year, though MK8 is pencilled in).

It's a good system, and I like it a lot, but it does not have the sort of broad library that can be unequivocally recommended to anyone that the 3DS has. Nintendo dropped the ball on getting games out, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Magill wrote: »

thats if it is still available next christmas:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Why is nobody talking about this game? Just finished it (not to 100% yet) and it is very very good. Some entertaining boss battles, great level design and it just controls so well. If you don't have a Wii U, it's a reason to get one!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've still been hmming and hawwing over the Wii U but I managed to play SM3DW this week. Amazing from what I played. Think I'll finally get that Wii U as a christmas present for myself.

I've still been hmming and hawwing over the Wii U but I managed to play SM3DW this week. Amazing from what I played. Think I'll finally get that Wii U as a christmas present for myself.

Good bundle here on the Nintendo store website but i don't think they post to Ireland :(

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-hardware/mario-mega-bundle/10874508.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Good bundle here on the Nintendo store website but i don't think they post to Ireland :(

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/wii-u-hardware/mario-mega-bundle/10874508.html
    Saw that posted on Eurogamer and tried ordering it... But no joy.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Saw that posted on Eurogamer and tried ordering it... But no joy.

I haven't used parcel motel so not really sure how it works but would it work for ordering the Mario bundle does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

only way you can see luigis bros on the touch screen gamepad is if u purchase super luigi u

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/22/super-mario-3d-world-guide-secrets-how-to-unlock-luigi-bros-and-more/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Oh I got the Wii U after Xmas just for this game. Amazing. Probably my GOTY.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    only way you can see luigis bros on the touch screen gamepad is if u purchase super luigi u

Not at all, just tried it there. Unlocked it by beating the main game and played it on the touchpad fine :)

Side note, really excellent game. Aside from some camera/placing depth issues, still really fantastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So I started playing this yesterday. One level in, and I was disappointed. Seemed like fairly standard Mario fare, with HD polish. Even the controls and movement seemed weird.

After having now completed two worlds, I look back on that gut response and laugh in its face. Every single subsequent level has been a revelation, condensed courses of joy. Constantly experimenting, subverting and above all entertaining. It would be arrogant how willing Nintendo are to constantly shift between ideas if those ideas weren't so consistently brilliant and polished.

I genuinely struggle to think of anyone playing this without a big, childish grin on their face throughout - its greatness is simply too difficult to contest. It might not be the bold, revolutionary departure the Galaxy games were, but this takes pretty much every Mario trope and finds new life in it - not just once, but numerous times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,579 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, you like it then?

Advertisement