Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario 3D World

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I want a Wii U. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So I started playing this yesterday. One level in, and I was disappointed. Seemed like fairly standard Mario fare, with HD polish. Even the controls and movement seemed weird.

After having now completed two worlds, I look back on that gut response and laugh in its face. Every single subsequent level has been a revelation, condensed courses of joy. Constantly experimenting, subverting and above all entertaining. It would be arrogant how willing Nintendo are to constantly shift between ideas if those ideas weren't so consistently brilliant and polished.

I genuinely struggle to think of anyone playing this without a big, childish grin on their face throughout - its greatness is simply too difficult to contest. It might not be the bold, revolutionary departure the Galaxy games were, but this takes pretty much every Mario trope and finds new life in it - not just once, but numerous times.

You are in for a treat. The game doesn't actually hit its stride until you've beaten the main quest. It then starts offering up a ridiculously generous amount of post game content that really gets wild and inventive.

Nintendo seem to be able to have new mechanics and ideas in each new level where most indie games would base an entire game around that one mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Not at all, just tried it there. Unlocked it by beating the main game and played it on the touchpad fine :)

Side note, really excellent game. Aside from some camera/placing depth issues, still really fantastic.

Unlockable Luigi Bros. Mini-Game

A modified version of the NES version of the classic Nintendo arcade game Mario Bros. called Luigi Bros. can be played from the menu screen of Super Mario 3D World. It is unclear how this game is unlocked at this point, but it will autmatically be unlocked early on Wii Us with New Super Luigi U saves on them. In it you can play as two different versions of Luigi simultaneously.

from ign

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Unlocked Champion's Road last night. Proof, if ever it was needed, that there are some genuinely cruel and twisted people at EAD.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That level nearly brought me to tears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I've only finished that level with Mario and it took me a lot of tries. Have to do it with the other four characters.

Advertisement