Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree advice

• 23-10-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice on a tree to go into small garden, aprox 3 metres away from a house. I would like to do a cluster of three.
    I love betula pendula jacquemontii, but not sure this would be suitable.
    Any ideas or suggestions?
    North east facing btw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

3 meters is quite close. I'd consider the subsoil the foundations are on aswell (just in case it's an old house etc). Also consider the mature size of the trees.

Being north east facing direct sunlight won't be much of an issue. Birch are great for allowing light through and are not too thirsty so shouldn't dry soil out either. Their easy enough to manage aswell.

Maples are an option that tend not to have overly invasive root systems, but at 3 meters their canopy may become an issue as the mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Although the RHS is a very well respected institution, I would argue that much of the information on that link is at best incredibly vague and in parts misleading and appears to mix apples with oranges when it comes to describing tree heights, spreads etc. To consider a tree capable of reaching almost 10 m as 'small' is frankly ridiculous and I would caution anyone planting trees near any building to do more research. In my opinion such a short distance would limit options considerably to dwarf trees, ie height + spread < 1.8/2.0m which is smaller than most shrubs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Trees are divided into "medium" and "small".
    I note that the "small" trees listed can also be described as having a "light" branch size, which over time are unlikely to develop into anything too troublesome.
    I'd go for any of these Sorbus vilmorinii, Malus ‘Evereste’, Amelanchier, Prunus ‘Shogetsu, and some of the others.

"To consider a tree capable of reaching almost 10 m as 'small' is frankly ridiculous..."
    Really? Compared to a Douglas fir which has been measured at almost 125m, I'd say it's minute....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Trees are divided into "medium" and "small".
    I note that the "small" trees listed can also be described as having a "light" branch size, which over time are unlikely to develop into anything too troublesome.
    I'd go for any of these Sorbus vilmorinii, Malus ‘Evereste’, Amelanchier, Prunus ‘Shogetsu, and some of the others.

"To consider a tree capable of reaching almost 10 m as 'small' is frankly ridiculous..."
    Really? Compared to a Douglas fir which has been measured at almost 125m, I'd say it's minute....

Point fail.

Hands up everyone who has planted one of these trees ( Sorbus vil., Malus Evereste, Amelanchier or even a Prunus Shogetsu etc) trees within 3m of the house? Please post pics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

See if you can move a little further from the house...

Personally I think silver birch make a nice trio to plant.. Good to look at and the added benifet that they won't shade the whole garden and block sunlight from other plants...

Here's a nice example.... Photo is too big to show, so here's a link.

http://creativehomelife.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/wymondham-open-gardens-trees.jpg

Advertisement