Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hull 27.10.2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

From another forum;
    Dinamo tbilisi 5-0
    swansea 1-0
    dinamo tbilisi 3-0
    arsenal 0-1
    norwich 2-0
    tromso 3-0
    cardiff 1-0
    aston villa 4-0
    chelsea 1-1
    anzhi 2-0
    west ham 0-3
    aston villa 2-0
    sheriff 2-0
    hull 1-0

That's 28 goals, 5 goals conceded, 12 cleansheets in 15 games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Another 3 points against a fairly decent side

Next few weeks will be the test starting with Everton away next Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

SuprSi wrote: »
    From another forum;

Ah that's a bit basic now. We conceded 5 goals in three league games alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

SuprSi wrote: »
    From another forum;

Them be top 4 statistics and whether we like it or not this slow build possession game is the system and according to the stats it's working.
    I miss the excitement of the typical spurs attacking game but we all know avb,s brief is nothing less than champions league qualification for next season.
    Unless points start to be dropped against the percentages ,I can't see avb changing tactics that to all intents and purposes are working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bishopmuzorewa

mickman wrote: »
    Another 3 points against a fairly decent side

Next few weeks will be the test starting with Everton away next Sunday

Bigtime. Worse result for me last season at goodison park us 1 up going in to time added on and losing 2-1... We owe them one for that. They a decent side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Saab Ed wrote: »

Oh I know that - it pissed me off a little in the game on Thursday where the commentator mentioned that most of our goals this season were conceded in the 2nd half - well as you said it's because 3 of them came in one game against West Ham!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Yes we're fourth. I can confirm we're fourth.
    Oh good man, you've realised that have you? And what of these negative tactics you speak of?

And 3 of them were in one game, another 1 was against Chelsea and the other was against Arsenal at the Emirates, by all means we've been very impressive defensively this season.

I find it hard to believe that anyone can be so critical of our manager who only last season guided us to our record points tally.

THFC wrote: »
    Oh good man, you've realised that have you? And what of these negative tactics you speak of?

And 3 of them were in one game, another 1 was against Chelsea and the other was against Arsenal at the Emirates, by all means we've been very impressive defensively this season.

I find it hard to believe that anyone can be so critical of our manager who only last season guided us to our record points tally.

You're a very angry person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bishopmuzorewa

I'm sick to death of your Avb bashing. The bloke is the best thing that's ever happened to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

THFC wrote: »

I believe we are being critical because we are true Spurs fans, fans who believe in a certain way of playing the game with attacking free flowing football. To quote the great man himself.

"It's no use just winning, we've got to win well."

It is just the way it is and is the reason I am a Spurs fan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

It's only in the final third we have problems, in defence and midfield we are very strong. The problem is we are not using any width with inverted wingers, teams that park the bus become difficult to break down and there seems to be no backup plan to shake it up.

Wow, I don't know how you've come to that conclusion but then again, your logic in general is quite baffling. I've never seen another Spurs fan so determined to see AVB fail.

Tell me, are you ever going to explain these negative tactics that AVB has employed or are you just going to keep dragging the thread OT?

I'm sick to death of your Avb bashing. The bloke is the best thing that's ever happened to us.

Okay, lets separate a few things here first.

Today's performance was drudge, dreadful. Anyone wants to disagree fire ahead.

Being critical of the fans who are just Ponting out the obvious is rather risky. Lets not forget we were beyond ****e against West Ham and all because of our Europa adventure, something we all agreed was a major flaw of the managers last season.

I wasn't AVB bashing ,I was merly pointing out the above. You obviously disagree. If you think both out last home results were good then that's fine. Most won't.

We are 3 points from the top , 4 points ahead of city and 5 ahead of united

Nuf said

mickman wrote: »
    We are 3 points from the top , 4 points ahead of city and 5 ahead of united

Nuf said

Hard to argue. Still ****e to watch.

Okay, lets separate a few things here first.

Today's performance was drudge, dreadful. Anyone wants to disagree fire ahead.

Being critical of the fans who are just Ponting out the obvious is rather risky. Lets not forget we were beyond ****e against West Ham and all because of our Europa adventure, something we all agreed was a major flaw of the managers last season.

I wasn't AVB bashing ,I was merly pointing out the above. You obviously disagree. If you think both out last home results were good then that's fine. Most won't.
    Let me start ;)

For the 4th time, what negative tactics has AVB employed?

As for our Europa League matches, we play an almost completely different side, much different to what was being done last season.

We were not shíte against Wham, we were totally dominant up until they got their second goal, and if it wasn't for Defoe spurning a few opportunities we would've won that game.

Also, you have a history of unwarranted criticism against AVB. Last season you were made to look foolish. A bit of patience my dear friend.

6 wins from 9, 6 clean sheets, 4th in the table and we haven't even played well. Not a bad openin to the season, all things considered.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    I believe we are being critical because we are true Spurs fans, fans who believe in a certain way of playing the game with attacking free flowing football. To quote the great man himself.

"It's no use just winning, we've got to win well."

It is just the way it is and is the reason I am a Spurs fan.

I agree, his comments were outrageous. Managers, players and anyone involved at the club should never criticise fans unless an unsavoury incident has occurred.

It's fair to be critical, but people, not yourself, just need to apply logic to their criticism, rather than making unwarranted and totally incorrect statements.

There are a lot of things that need to be improved, but there are also a lot of positives to be taken from our opening 9 games. As has been stated, we're ahead of both Manchester clubs and sitting pretty in fourth.

Delighted with the win but the reality is we got oh so lucky today. We won't against better opposition. Lets hope we've learned from the mistakes of last year, we dont have a Bale this year to get us outta jail and it seems a lot of people are forgetting that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

cheer up bud, might never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Some people seem to be longing for the days when we were loosing games 4-3 and drawing games 3-3 when our defence was shyte week in and week out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

tippspur wrote: »
    Some people seem to be longing for the days when we were loosing games 4-3 and drawing games 3-3 when our defence was shyte week in and week out.

In fairness nobody wants to go back to those days. There are positives as THFC pointed out. We are 4th while playing poorly, lets just hope we click soon and start adding great football to our results. You cannot argue that we have been lucky this season with a couple of the penalties we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

4th in the league while bedding in half a new team - I'll take that.

As I see it our most important creative/attacking players will be Lamela, Eriksen and Soldado. Those 3 are all new to the Premier League and will take time to adjust. I think we will get stronger as the season progresses - if we can be around 4th come Christmas then we will be in a great position to kick on once the side begins to truely gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

We are definitely hard to watch in a lot of games. Most people would agree though that it takes time for many new players to get used to playing in a new league and getting used to playing with new team mates.

We are more solid at the back than ever. We are struggling for some guile in midfield and that should come soon and if not AVB will get funds to remedy this.

I believe Soldado will improve with more games but I still think we must buy a strong striker who can also make goals for himself. I think the striker issue will be solved in January or summer at latest.

I think getting the defence right is a major positive and the skill and flair will come later and we will keep improving this and next season. So even though the grinding football may continue for a while we do need to be patient. As others have said while our front play is not great to watch we are still getting results. We all want to be entertained while winning and scoring more but getting everything right takes time.

We have come a long way in three or four years.

After saying all that, I was cursing at a lot of players while watching online today but I'v calmed down now.

A special thanks to the ref for the peno today, you gotta take these when you get them cos they have gone the other way many a time in the past and will again.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

I would love to hear what tactics those that demand free flowing attacking football would use against teams that park the bus like Hull today. Just explain how you would do it , and how you would get teams to open up a little a give Spurs some space to play fast flowing attacking football. Football at times is about how you play the game , but most of the time it's about results at this level. As a supporter for over 45 years now, I have had enough of those times when we played LOVELY football and achieved nothing . I want the feeling that I have now that we can win every game we play. Today I went for a run while the second half was on , because I believed we would get a goal. Who gives a s...t if it was a dodgy peno...last year we didn't even get a peno, and how many times have we been done by dodgy ones. Some fans amaze me with their never satisfied attitude. True fans should not give a toss how we get our goals once we get them. I often wonder have many of these so called fans ever played either football or any other team sport , because I know in my day it did not matter how the goals came. Luck generally evens up over a season. AVB is doing an amazing job and will get better as this group gels even more. They are a very hard working squad and the future to me looks very bright.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Didn't see the game, but if all it takes to stop us scoring is to park 8-10 men behind the ball, we're gonna have a bad time this season. Everyone below us will do just that, while the better / higher teams will actually play football.

Will watch the highlights (if there are any) later.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Same old same against one of the "lesser" teams.
    When will us fans learn that for the last couple of seasons we have struggled to beat the teams that simply come looking for a draw,get us frustrated and nick a win.
    They have every right to come and defend,Its up to us to break them down and playing with just 1 up top is not the way to do it.Soldado as good as he is will only score if he's given the proper service.Getting a bit fed up of watching townsend cut in from the wing and blast a shot over the bar.He should be looking for the killer pass to get Soldado in...they all should,He's our main goal threat but he cant do it by himself especially when hes up against 8 defenders.
    Here's an interesting stat from the football gambling page.....We havn't beaten a team by more than 2 goals at home since feb of last year.To me thats shocking.
    Time for a change of tactics when we are at home,2 up front to give the defence more to deal with.We're great away from home hitting teams on the counter and defending superbly but until AVB loses his over cautious approach to our home games then we are gonna see more performances like today and the west ham game.

We went with two up front for 30 mins against west ham and got creamed

The first thing to do to win a game is be solid at the back and we have done that

Sandro had a bad game today . It's no big deal , it happens to everyone.

Townsend should be rested for 3-4 games also , he is running out of steam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Teams go to the emirates, park the bus and still get torn apart. Thats what i would like to see us do. Teams have parked the bus for years at arsenal and chelsea, they destroy them, our goals scored compared to the top six is awful!. One up top at home is torture!

• Advertisement

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Teams go to the emirates, park the bus and still get torn apart. Thats what i would like to see us do. Teams have parked the bus for years at arsenal and chelsea, they destroy them, our goals scored compared to the top six is awful!. One up top at home is torture!

Chelsea and arsenal both play one up front

Advertisement