Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hull 27.10.2013

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

mickman wrote: »
    Chelsea and arsenal both play one up front

Then they clearly do it a lot more effectively than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Then they clearly do it a lot more effectively than us.

The number 10 is the issue here, not the striker. Soldado is top class and proven at a European level

Eriksen is gone off the boil and holtby just isn't creative enough

Compare them to ozil / Oscar / mata and you see the difference

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd kill to have Mata in our team.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd kill to have Mata in our team.

Yes , he wud be a class purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Great result yesterday.

I won't take much moaning about the performance.... because, who really remembers the performance???

All we remember from a few years back was that Hull came to WHL and won 1-0, with a Geovanni free kick. Can anyone remember our performance that day?

Three points in the bag, wasn't pretty, but...... Three points in the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Great result for us yesterday, but my god was it a lackluster performance from spurs. I can't help but feel a little frustrated with the tactics that AVB is implementing at spurs, and as a result we've been very defensive. Our number 10 could be useful if he had more support with the likes of Paulinho and Sandro receiving the ball far too deep.

Am I the only one who feels like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

This is a good article on what AVB said, seems as usual he's only relaying what his bosses want him to say which makes sense, he's always very political

http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/tottenham-hotspur/tottenham-hotspur/thst_chairman_discusses_avb_s_attack_and_the_atmosphere_at_white_hart_lane_1_2937557

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

PVincent wrote: »
    I would love to hear what tactics those that demand free flowing attacking football would use against teams that park the bus like Hull today. Just explain how you would do it , and how you would get teams to open up a little a give Spurs some space to play fast flowing attacking football. Football at times is about how you play the game , but most of the time it's about results at this level. As a supporter for over 45 years now, I have had enough of those times when we played LOVELY football and achieved nothing . I want the feeling that I have now that we can win every game we play. Today I went for a run while the second half was on , because I believed we would get a goal. Who gives a s...t if it was a dodgy peno...last year we didn't even get a peno, and how many times have we been done by dodgy ones. Some fans amaze me with their never satisfied attitude. True fans should not give a toss how we get our goals once we get them. I often wonder have many of these so called fans ever played either football or any other team sport , because I know in my day it did not matter how the goals came. Luck generally evens up over a season. AVB is doing an amazing job and will get better as this group gels even more. They are a very hard working squad and the future to me looks very bright.

Fully agree Vin.
    Sandro had a bad game today . It's no big deal , it happens to everyone.

Townsend should be rested for 3-4 games also , he is running out of steam

Rest Townsend ? I don't get it Mick. It's October. He's been our best player. Why rest him, looks fine to me.
    Great result yesterday.

I won't take much moaning about the performance.... because, who really remembers the performance???

All we remember from a few years back was that Hull came to WHL and won 1-0, with a Geovanni free kick. Can anyone remember our performance that day?

Three points in the bag, wasn't pretty, but...... Three points in the bag.

That's it in a nutshell. 3 pts is what it's all about, wasn't perfect, but I'd rather play poorly and win, than play well and draw or lose. COYS

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Fully agree Vin.

Rest Townsend ? I don't get it Mick. It's October. He's been our best player. Why rest him, looks fine to me.

I just think there is too much on his shoulders at the moment. He is a great young lad but we shouldn't depend on him for everything

• Advertisement

Fully agree Vin.

I just think there is too much on his shoulders at the moment. He is a great young lad but we shouldn't depend on him for everything

But if we leave him out, we lose our biggest attacking threat. Wrong time to rest him, wait until some of the others are in better form and can step in.

This is a good article on what AVB said, seems as usual he's only relaying what his bosses want him to say which makes sense, he's always very political

http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/tottenham-hotspur/tottenham-hotspur/thst_chairman_discusses_avb_s_attack_and_the_atmosphere_at_white_hart_lane_1_2937557

love the idea of the flags etc.. looked good at villa and looks well at Anfield, anything is worth a go

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 bertbliss

AVB is our best manager since Keith Burkinshaw and we need to have faith. The win yesterday while a bit lucky was still a win against tricky opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

I agree with Micks here. He's young and shouldn't be burnt out early in his first season. The key is that the 'resting' will aid his development.

I remember reading a good piece by Alex Ferguson I think (may have been Wenger) stating 'the best way to introduce young up and coming players is let them play a few games, then put them on the bench for a few games and let them observe and learn to read the game. Do that for a few periods and the player will develop and learn better'.

Sounds logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

love the idea of the flags etc.. looked good at villa and looks well at Anfield, anything is worth a go

What do reckon on the atmosphere mate? Pretty sure yourself and a few others have said it's gone downhill over the last few years. The Villa game and Chelsea game I was at last season weren't great if I'm honest.

The flags would be great. Not sure if 'I can't smile without you' would make a great pre-game anthem but I reckon 'Oh when the Spurs' would be good. The Lane should be rocking every match day but I think the Sunday kickoffs are probably killing it a bit..

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Townsend is 22 years old. He is a fit young man..rest not needed when he is in such great form...ride the wave with him...increase his confidence

I agree with Micks here. He's young and shouldn't be burnt out early in his first season. The key is that the 'resting' will aid his development.

I remember reading a good piece by Alex Ferguson I think (may have been Wenger) stating 'the best way to introduce young up and coming players is let them play a few games, then put them on the bench for a few games and let them observe and learn to read the game. Do that for a few periods and the player will develop and learn better'.

Sounds logical.

Resting, I don't get it. He's 22, has played loads of league games in the last few years,been on loan everywhere, this is his time. It's not time to leave him out of the side. If he was 18, well then I'd probably agree, but he's not a baby, let him flourish. He's been brilliant so far this season, our shinning light, leaving him out would take away our deadliest asset.
    What do reckon on the atmosphere mate? Pretty sure yourself and a few others have said it's gone downhill over the last few years. The Villa game and Chelsea game I was at last season weren't great if I'm honest.

The flags would be great. Not sure if 'I can't smile without you' would make a great pre-game anthem but I reckon 'Oh when the Spurs' would be good. The Lane should be rocking every match day but I think the Sunday kickoffs are probably killing it a bit..

Haven't been over as much as I'd like to be. but when I have, it hasn't been great. All depends on the game I suppose, if you coming back from 1 down against city to win 3-1 it's gonna be great, if your struggling to beat Hull, it's gonna be nervy. I have no problem with the manager saying what he said, he has the right to voice his opinion, just like the fans do. In saying that, I hate the whole booing the players off when we're struggling, drives me mad. It's a great stadium being so compact, and when it's rocking, it's brilliant.

When you think about it, we are not the only club to experience such problems, for example I'm told the atmosphere at Anfield has been brutal for years now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 bertbliss

The answer is to bring back the terraces and reduce the ticket prices to realistically affordable levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

We have the Number 10 and and the top goalgetter, best start in years, equalled the amount of clean sheets from last year already.
    Spent millions., thru in the Europa league, 1/4 final beckons on Wednesday night...lots of new players...
    Still giving out???
    Sure if Bale was still here he'd have played feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

The standard in the EPL is as por at the moment as its ever been. In this context and the fact we have spent 100m or thereabouts its only fair to expect a little better than relying on a dodgy penalty to beat a side that finished 2nd in the championship at home.

We haven't been convincing at home at all since AVB arrived, our away form is fantastic but at home we are rudderless and clueless.

At home we should deviate from the failed tactics that will see plenty more Hull's and West ham type struggles before the seaon is out.

• Advertisement

We have the Number 10 and and the top goalgetter, best start in years, equalled the amount of clean sheets from last year already.
    Spent millions., thru in the Europa league, 1/4 final beckons on Wednesday night...lots of new players...
    Still giving out???
    Sure if Bale was still here he'd have played feck all.

who is the number 10 ? Holtby or eriksen

neither are lighting up the league right now

who is the number 10 ? Holtby or eriksen

neither are lighting up the league right now

Wwhat im saying is....everyone was creaming themselves when we signed Erikson and Soldado.... now they are giving out...what more do people want?
    Its real life football not FIFA 14!!!!;)

Wwhat im saying is....everyone was creaming themselves when we signed Erikson and Soldado.... now they are giving out...what more do people want?
    Its real life football not FIFA 14!!!!;)

yeah i know but soldado doesnt get the ball and eriksen cant get a game :-)

We ALL just have to be patient!!!
    Who would have thought....
    Manu fans would love to be in our position and have our squad!!
    We are where we are and not "playing" well!!
    Arsenal and Lolpool are "flying"..how many points ahead are they?
    In previous recent seasons, we blew up from March, ..at this rate we'll kick on from there this season!!
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Patience...... As Spurs fans we lost that years ago.

I like the fact we are not far off the top without playing well. Bodes well for if/when we do but id like to see glimpes of us gelling now. I want to see us start creating and putting away chances. i want to see that we have other ideas and tricks up our sleeves during games. I like to see us go 3 at the back for home games for a while and make the opposition think about how they are going to set up and worry about what we might do as opposed to knowing we wil go 4-5-1 and have our wingers cutting inside with a slow build up.

I still think we will have a fantastic year but Patince is the key. I'd als like to see Ade back in the fold. Hopefully he'll be eager to shine and i could see an partnership between him and Soldado blossoming

Advertisement