Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options
  • 23-10-2013 12:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭

It's that time of year again where mass debates ensue over paper flowers, pensioners, prisoners of war, the struggle, lillies et al. I noticed the first advert this morning at the bus stop today.

Will you be sporting one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

oh for fuck's sake, not again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

old hippy wrote: »
    It's that time of year again where mass debates ensue over paper flowers, pensioners, prisoners of war, the struggle, lillies et al. I noticed the first advert this morning at the bus stop today.

Does anyone in Ireland ever wear one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Not a chance!

Where was your bus stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Yes i wear one every year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Terrorists symbol, definitely not

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

kfallon wrote: »
    Not a chance!

Where was your bus stop?

Wolverhampton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

No

no one should really give a **** if you do or dont tbh both sides of this debate are as bad as each other imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

old hippy wrote: »

Nope.

I won't be wearing one as I do not care either way, but I do not understand why it is so hated that Irish people might wear them. Like it or not, thousands of Irish people died in World War One and World War Two, so why would you not remember them?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Does anyone in Ireland ever wear one?

Indeed they do.

uch wrote: »
    Terrorists symbol, definitely not

LOL :D

kfallon wrote: »
    Not a chance!

Where was your bus stop?

London, innit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Yes.
    No.
    Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I won't be wearing one as I do not care either way, but I do not understand why it is so hated that Irish people might wear them. Like it or not, thousands of Irish people died in World War One and World War Two, so why would you not remember them?

By all means remember them, but thats not what the poppy is about.

Nope, I won't be wearing one. That's my choice, if someone does decide to wear one, that's up to them.

No doubt we can look forward to outraged stories in the news over the coming weeks about some goon who was sent home from work because he wouldnt take one off or wasnt let into a club because he had one on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

No ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nope, and I wouldn't wear an easter lily either.

oh for fuck's sake, not again.

Captain, my captain. You joined in June, for all you know this important, life changing topic was cruelly ignored last year :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I don't, I wouldn't judge somebody for wearing it though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

I won't wear one but if others wants to wear a poppy, or easter lily for that matter, that's fine by me.

• Advertisement

By all means remember them, but thats not what the poppy is about.

What is the poppy about to you then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I saw on last nights news that people attending a memorial service for victims of several Shankhill terrorist attacks were wearing poppies. I

In October. It used to be a one day thing. Next thing will be Britons wearing poppies guiltily all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

kneemos wrote: »
    Wolverhampton.

Frank Skinner says that he loves Wolverhampton, as he always feels fashionably dressed while walking around the city centre..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...if only I had a bot.....

Anyhoo - because the poppy is about more than WW1 and II. The money goes to aid ex-army personnel. That's people involved in colonial repression across Africa and the middle east, south east asia etc. And yes, some for those who served in NI.

What is the poppy about to you then?

It's not what it is about to me. It's what it is about, full stop. It commemorates all those who died in the British Army and honours those who continue to serve in it. According to their own website the money raised from poppies goes to "support the British Armed Forces past and present." Fuck that.
    Now I know other countries such as Canada have their own poppies but here it's different, here its for the British Armed forces and all their squalid little campaigns, not just WW1 and 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

realies wrote: »
    Yes.
    No.
    Maybe.

I don't know,
    you repeat the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

realies wrote: »
    Yes.
    No.
    Maybe.

Atari Jaguar ??

donvito99 wrote: »
    I saw on last nights news that people attending a memorial service for victims of several Shankhill terrorist attacks were wearing poppies. I

In October. It used to be a one day thing. Next thing will be Britons wearing poppies guiltily all year round.

Yep, a lot of people in the north wear them purely as a political statement.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...if only I had a bot.....

Anyhoo - because the poppy is about more than WW1 and II. The money goes to aid ex-army personnel. That's people involved in colonial repression across Africa and the middle east, south east asia etc. And yes, some for those who served in NI.

Yes indeed, there's no denying that but there's many decent men and women who have served in the armed forces over decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

****ing ridiculous. I should be able to go for a pint anyime I choose. Closing the pubs because of the church is stupid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement