Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Nodin wrote: »
    "Each year the nation expresses its unequivocal support for The Royal British Legion's work through the Poppy Appeal.
    The Appeal is the Legion's biggest fundraising campaign and runs year-round. Lapel poppies are available to buy in shops, supermarkets, pubs and clubs from the last week of October until Remembrance Sunday, or 11 November, whichever is later in the calendar.
    It takes 350,000 volunteers and staff to organise the Poppy Appeal each year. Money raised goes to support our welfare work for the Armed Forces community."
    http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/about-us/what-we-do/poppy-appeal

The Royal British Legion is the UK's leading Service charity providing care and support to serving members of the Armed Forces, veterans of all ages and their families.

People who i am proud to help

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/can-we-help/eligibility-for-support/case-studies

and as i stated before if anyone has a problem with me wearing a poppy they are more than welcome to say it to my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

...but its not about the two poxy world wars.....for the love of Christ......

It's like people would rather stick their fingers in their ears and make up an alternate meaning for the poppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bumper234 wrote: »
    The Royal British Legion is the UK's leading Service charity providing care and support to serving members of the Armed Forces, veterans of all ages and their families.

People who i am proud to help

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/can-we-help/eligibility-for-support/case-studies

and as i stated before if anyone has a problem with me wearing a poppy they are more than welcome to say it to my face.

Why are yopu "proud to help" members of a foreign force who were often engaged in colonialism?

Why are yopu "proud to help" members of a foreign force who were often engaged in colonialism?

They are not "foreign" to me.

My great Grandfather fought in WW2 he came home missing a leg but never held a grudge against the soldier that fired the shell that took it. He also fought in WW1 and it was mustard gas that he was exposed to there that finally killed him in 1976 yet he never held a grudge against the soldier that unleashed that hell on him and his brothers in arms. I buy a poppy every year (several actually) to remember people like my Great Grandfather who fought in 2 terrible wars so the likes of you and me could have the freedoms that we have today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

My great Grandfather fought in WW2 he came home missing a leg but never held a grudge against the soldier that fired the shell that took it. He also fought in WW1 and it was mustard gas that he was exposed to there that finally killed him in 1976 yet he never held a grudge against the soldier that unleashed that hell on him and his brothers in arms. I buy a poppy every year (several actually) to remember people like my Great Grandfather who fought in 2 terrible wars so the likes of you and me could have the freedoms that we have today.

Sorry what freedoms do I have thanks to your relatives?

• Advertisement

.....rather unfortunately the Poppy funds are not tied to WW1 and WW2. As a result, you're funding veterans of far less savoury conflicts.

Bambi wrote: »
    Sorry what freedoms do I have thanks to your relatives?

Are you speaking German right now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

.....rather unfortunately the Poppy funds are not tied to WW1 and WW2. As a result, you're funding veterans of far less savoury conflicts.

That's because most of the ww1 and 2 veterans are dead now but the money still helps to pay for injured soldiers. Can you name ONE conflict that in your opinion was "savoury"?

Are you speaking German right now?

Are you speaking Irish right now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭conorhal

old hippy wrote: »
    Who supports war criminals? The ordinary Joe soldier is no different to you or I.

Come on Ireland, get over your petty hatreds :( I know you can do it.

For sombody that clutches their pearls at the mention of nationalism or militarism, this is an odd thread to start.....

Are you speaking Irish right now?

No

But then i am not Irish :confused:

That's because most of the ww1 and 2 veterans are dead now but the money still helps to pay for injured soldiers. Can you name ONE conflict that in your opinion was "savoury"?

Well no war is a pleasant affair, obviously. It's a question of causes - fighting to stop the Nazis would be a noble effort, whereas fighting for the right to rule over some African state thousands of miles away is international thuggery at its worst.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

They sell the red poppy in Australia and NZ too, sometimes worn on the 11th of November but usually reserved for ANZAC day.

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201201/r879729_8689448.jpg

If I wore one here say on the 11th of November does that mean I support torture in Kenya? :confused:

Anyway, people are allowed to wear what they want, poppy, easter lily or whatever takes their fancy. What I find irritating is the high horsed pontificating from a certain section against those that do wear it. At the end of the day, its none of your business what people do or don't wear.

No

But then i am not Irish :confused:

And I'm not english . So that's your first point about freedom made into a nonsense

Any other freedoms that you think I should be greatful to your relatives for?

Well no war is a pleasant affair, obviously. It's a question of causes - fighting to stop the Nazis would be a noble effort, whereas fighting for the right to rule over some African state thousands of miles away is international thuggery at its worst.

And wringing your hands over past discretion's gets us where? The same could be said about the conflicts that are happening right now never mind 50 or 100 years ago. At the end of the day the common soldier is who i support not the government who send them. If you wish to rant about imperialism and international thuggery maybe you should write to the prime minister and give him an earful

https://email.number10.gov.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I buy a poppy every year (several actually) to remember people like my Great Grandfather who fought in 2 terrible wars so the likes of you and me could have the freedoms that we have today.
    What do you for the countless Soviet troops that Stalin sacrificed in Stalingrad?

And I'm not english . So that's your first point about freedom made into a nonsense

Any other freedoms that you think I should be greatful to your relatives for?

Ah so you think Hitler would have stopped at the UK?

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    What do you for the countless Soviet troops that Stalin sacrificed in Stalingrad?

Heroes everyone of them. If they sold a Russian Poppy i would have no problem buying one. I have visited Stalingrad the same as i have visited the beaches of Normandy ant the fields of Flanders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Safe to say the same people that wore them last year will wear them again and the ones that don't wear them won't; no doubt there will be a similar thread in 2014 with the usual circular arguments and whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Heroes everyone of them. If they sold a Russian Poppy i would have no problem buying one. I have visited Stalingrad the same as i have visited the beaches of Normandy ant the fields of Flanders.
    Fair enough (although many Poles may question that), but would you object to funds raised in remembrance of those fallen soldiers being used to support the actions of those who fought in Afghanistan or those currently in Chechnya?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭BQQ

Think you're missing the point.

We don't speak German, but we do speak English (the language of the army that conquered us)

BQQ wrote: »
    Think you're missing the point.

We don't speak German, but we do speak English (the language of the army that conquered us)

No one forces you to speak it though ;)

I know neither Hitler or Stalin never invaded Ireland unlike the english

Hitler had **** all interest in the UK and even less in Ireland, once john bull had been kicked back into his corner hitler was happy enough until the americans showed up to rescue him.

I know neither Hitler or Stalin never invaded Ireland unlike the english

Hitler had **** all interest in the UK and even less in Ireland, once john bull had been kicked back into his corner hitler was happy enough until the americans showed up to rescue him.

Ok you keep telling yourself that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Whether I do or don't or whether anyone chooses to wear one or not really is no-one else's fcuking business.

No one forces you to speak it though ;)

History really isn't your strong point

it's a bit like kicking someone into a coma and then trying to say that no ones forcing him to lie down.

• Advertisement

And wringing your hands over past discretion's gets us where? The same could be said about the conflicts that are happening right now never mind 50 or 100 years ago. At the end of the day the common soldier is who i support not the government who send them. If you wish to rant about imperialism and international thuggery maybe you should write to the prime minister and give him an earful

https://email.number10.gov.uk/

Bit pointless. I'd rather make people aware of what they're actually being asked to support.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement