Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

No I will not be wearing one but we thankfully live in a free society which gives everyone the chance to either wear one or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭BQQ

bumper234 wrote: »
    No one forces you to speak it though ;)

And the Germans would? :rolleyes:

Anyway, people were forced to speak it at the time, which led to the near death of the Irish language.

Thanks for the freedom;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Bambi wrote: »
    History really isn't your strong point

it's a bit like kicking someone into a coma and then trying to say that no ones forcing him to lie down.

Britain ruled India, Burma, Singapore, They all speak their own languages first. Who is "forcing" you to speak English?

Nodin wrote: »
    Bit pointless. I'd rather make people aware of what they're actually being asked to support.

I know exactly what i am supporting i don't need the lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Britain ruled India, Burma, Singapore, They all speak their own languages first. Who is "forcing" you to speak English?

....I don't think they went out to destroy their languages though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ok you keep telling yourself that :rolleyes:

I dont have to, I can read a history book. :)

So anyway back to these freedoms, what am I supposed to be thanking your relatives for again? We've ruled out being under the jackboot of a foreign power and we've ruled out speaking a foreign language.

anything from World War 1? Freedom of small nations or some such bollocks?

Nodin wrote: »
    ....I don't think they went out to destroy their languages though.

Britain ruled India for 2 centuries longer than Ireland yet India managed to keep their national language. Or are you just saying that the Irish were a pushover?

I know exactly what i am supporting i don't need the lesson.

I would hope not.....
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/may/05/kenyan-mau-mau-cover-up-mistreatment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Oh Christ...unfollow...unfollow...

Britain ruled India for 2 centuries longer than Ireland yet India managed to keep their national language. Or are you just saying that the Irish were a pushover?

Without getting into the dates, I'll once again state that I don't believe there was a systematic attempt to destroy the various indian tongues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

This post has been deleted.

DeValera actually has a remembrance Garden named after him in Nazareth. In post war years he overruled the Department of Justice on a number of occasions to permit Jewish refugees into Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭BQQ

India population 1,237 million approx
    Ireland population 6 million approx

I'd say it was somewhat easier alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Lol

1.British India 1612–1947 from here

2. The first such scheme was the Plantation of King's County (now Offaly) and Queen's County (now Laois) in 1556, from here

Maths! Easy!

He's saying that britain made a policy decision to stamp out the irish language unlike india. Wiping out a sizeable amount of the population helped too.

Apparently reading comprehension joins history as one of your weaker subjects.

Are you working on a list of those freedoms?

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    What do you for the countless Soviet troops that Stalin sacrificed in Stalingrad?

More to the point why dont the british make a big deal about Memorial Day to thank all those american lads who saved them from speaking german?

You think they'd be grateful for their freedoms :confused:

More to the point why dont the british make a big deal about Memorial Day to thank all those american lads who saved them from speaking german?

You think they'd be grateful for their freedoms :confused:

The Yanks did feck all in fairness, no matter how many Yankie propaganda war films tells ya, the Ruskies saved Europe, but only coz they had so much cannon fodder to send to the front lines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

conorhal wrote: »
    For sombody that clutches their pearls at the mention of nationalism or militarism, this is an odd thread to start.....

Wait until next year!

Seriously, though; I've been called an old maid earlier today and now a pearl clutcher. What gives? :confused:

The Yanks did feck all in fairness, no matter how many Yankie propaganda war films tells ya, the Ruskies saved Europe, but only coz they had so much cannon fodder to send to the front lines.

Oh I've no doubt the russians defeated the germans in the end. Ask someone who grew up behind the iron curtain if they think the russians saved europe though.

But the americans kept the british afloat with supplies in 1940 and then sorted out the japanese and the germans for them from 42 onwards.

The bould yanks did a lot of heavy lifting in world war 2. especially in terms of supplies

Oh I've no doubt the russians defeated the germans in the end. Ask someone who grew up behind the iron curtain if they think the russians saved europe though.

But the americans kept the british afloat with supplies in 1940 and then sorted out the japanese and the germans for them from 42 onwards.

The bould yanks did a lot of heavy lifting in world war 2. especially in terms of supplies

Yea, I'm in Poland, the vast majority would agree that Russia firstly 'saved' (terrorising the locals while rampaging towards Warsaw) them from the Nazis and then took over the place. They still blame Churchill for selling them out to Stalin. Don't blame them, he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

old hippy wrote: »
    Wait until next year!

Seriously, though; I've been called an old maid earlier today and now a pearl clutcher. What gives? :confused:

At a guess.... an emerging picture of an old maid clutching her pearls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The stupidity of people comparing those defending their country from an occupying force with those carrying out genocide in foreign lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,162 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

donvito99 wrote: »
    I saw on last nights news that people attending a memorial service for victims of several Shankhill terrorist attacks were wearing poppies. I

In October. It used to be a one day thing. Next thing will be Britons wearing poppies guiltily all year round.

Seen people at the Newcastle V Liverpool game at the weekend wearing them

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

People can obviously wear a poppy if they wish in Ireland or anywhere in the world also. It can be to support the Royal British Legion and/or to commemorate some personal connection with the UK and Commonwealth armed forces. I have never worn one myself. My grandfather served in the RN during WW2 and if he had been killed in action, I probably would have been wearing it down through the years on 11th November. It would have raised a few quizzical looks because I have never seen anyone from my town sporting one. As far as I know , there are just 2 WW1 headstones and 3 WW2 headstones in our local cemeteries. There have been many significant events involving the UK since my grandparents were born, the Great War, 1916, Irish Independence, WW2 etc. My grandparents were all HM subjects, born in the UK ie Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare. As children, they had a King. I was born in Ireland, ie Dublin, as a citizen of a Republic. My country has a National Day of Commemoration and a 1916 Commemoration, both fitting commemorations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

How would the US have sorted out the Germans if Britain had surrendered?

Ok, you don'. Like the Brits, but petty sniping just makes you look silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Rubeter

That's pretty rich from someone who has been sniping at the Irish since the day he joined Boards.

In much the same way that they sorted out the Japanese after the british had surrendered, with their characteristic panache and derring do

Love me arl british neighbors but some of 'em do have a tendency to go all john bull in november :)

conorhal wrote: »
    At a guess.... an emerging picture of an old maid clutching her pearls?

Interesting, I've also been asked about HRT on other topics where my views are not appreciated. Is being likened to women supposed to be some kind of witty riposte these days?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The stupidity of people comparing those defending their country from an occupying force with those carrying out genocide in foreign lands.

Whilst I have never been a supporter of military campaigns (I'm a veteran of anti-war marches) I'm just wondering where the current, actual genocide is being carried out by the British armed forces?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Rubeter wrote: »
    That's pretty rich from someone who has been sniping at the Irish since the day he joined Boards.

Must resist temptation.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement