Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Bambi wrote: »
    In much the same way that they sorted out the Japanese after the british had surrendered, with their characteristic panache and derring do

Love me arl british neighbors but some of 'em do have a tendency to go all john bull in november :)

Island hopping wouldn't have been that successful without any islands to hop from. In fact, it's likely they wouldn't even have bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

bumper234 wrote: »
    I have worn one very year for over 20 years i also wear one of these on a daily basis for the last 2 years

http://shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/products/Large_Wristband.html

Never had a word said to me, Maybe it's just because your feelings are (thankfully) only felt by a tiny minority these days.

Most people under 25 probably don't even know the reason it's worn, either way, wear what you like and don't worry about other people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

This post has been deleted.
    I was once accused of being a Nazi sympathiser by a Scot because the Irish were refueling German U-boats in the 1940s!

I pointed out that this was a lie and that the Irish government and people were neutral during World War II.

He replied that it wasn't the government but the IRA.

I pointed out that the Irish government was executing members of the IRA for treason in these years. The massive fuel tanks required to store the diesel would be noticed immediately, the IRA men captured, jailed and likely hanged.

His next riposte was that it wasn't the IRA in the south, it was the IRA in the north. He actually believed that German U-boats were refueling from hidden tankers on the coast of the UK during a war with the UK.

It remains the single stupidest remark I've ever heard (especially since I've stopped reading Youtube comments).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

old hippy wrote: »
    Whilst I have never been a supporter of military campaigns (I'm a veteran of anti-war marches) I'm just wondering where the current, actual genocide is being carried out by the British armed forces?

I'm not talking about current events. There are posters on here though comparing campaigns of resistance with genocidal campaigns.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I'm not talking about current events. There are posters on here though comparing campaigns of resistance with genocidal campaigns.

Tell me, how was Sean Russell "resisting" when he invited the Nazis to invade Ireland?

How does leaving a bike carrying a bomb in a busy high street in Coventry on the day Germany invade Poland help unite Ireland?

The IRA refueling German u boats is a fantasy, but their actions would suggest that if the IRA could have, they would.

Heroes, one and all.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, were any of the uber patriots that wear the Easter Lilly at this ceremony?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0708/328273-national-day-of-commemoration/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Zebra3 wrote: »

Flowery words to describe terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Yes, if i see one for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭TheHighest92

Britain ruled India, Burma, Singapore, They all speak their own languages first. Who is "forcing" you to speak English?

well we are indirectly forced to speak it, try going into a mcdonalds in belfast and giving your order in Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Tell me, how was(...............)actions would suggest that if the IRA could have, they would.

Heroes, one and all.

Off again Fred?

Anything to distract from centuries of evil.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Sorry for my ignorance but whats the controversy over this? What does wearing it represent?

Is it not to remember Irish people who fought in the War?

Nodin wrote: »
    Off again Fred?

Anything to distract from centuries of evil.

Just pointing out your hypocrisy Nodin, again.

Tell me, how was Sean Russell "resisting" when he invited the Nazis to invade Ireland?

How does leaving a bike carrying a bomb in a busy high street in Coventry on the day Germany invade Poland help unite Ireland?

The IRA refueling German u boats is a fantasy, but their actions would suggest that if the IRA could have, they would.

Heroes, one and all.

They were the bad IRA, your getting confused with the good IRA.

tdv123 wrote: »
    Sorry for my ignorance but whats the controversy over this? What does wearing it represent?

Is it not to remember Irish people who fought in the War?

"Each year the nation expresses its unequivocal support for The Royal British Legion's work through the Poppy Appeal.
    The Appeal is the Legion's biggest fundraising campaign and runs year-round. Lapel poppies are available to buy in shops, supermarkets, pubs and clubs from the last week of October until Remembrance Sunday, or 11 November, whichever is later in the calendar.
    It takes 350,000 volunteers and staff to organise the Poppy Appeal each year. Money raised goes to support our welfare work for the Armed Forces community."
    http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/about-us/what-we-do/poppy-appeal

"Each year the nation expresses its unequivocal support for The Royal British Legion's work through the Poppy Appeal.
    The Appeal is the Legion's biggest fundraising campaign and runs year-round. Lapel poppies are available to buy in shops, supermarkets, pubs and clubs from the last week of October until Remembrance Sunday, or 11 November, whichever is later in the calendar.
    It takes 350,000 volunteers and staff to organise the Poppy Appeal each year. Money raised goes to support our welfare work for the Armed Forces community."
    http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/about-us/what-we-do/poppy-appeal

Well why would Irish people be wearing one then if it has nothing to do with Ireland?

Just pointing out your hypocrisy Nodin, again.

...as was explained earlier, there is no hypocrisy involved. You just want to divert from the untold misery inflicted by the BA over the centuries, for a racist, evil goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

No. The British Army have a shameful history on this island.

So have the Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

No one forces you to speak it though ;)

English is very much a compulsory language at a socital level here. Put it this way, given a choice I would not speak English, and when I do have the choice, I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

oh for fuck's sake, not again.

And still we get 30 pages . Maybe a poppy thread should be a sticky and each year bump it to ask if anyone has changed their mind this time.

Well why would Irish people be wearing one then if it has nothing to do with Ireland?

...not only that, but why would irish people be wearing something that might fund the veterans from this....
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/apr/09/malaya-massacre-villagers-coverup
    or this

"Many tens of thousands were detained and tortured in the camps. I won't spare you the details: we have been sparing ourselves the details for far too long. Large numbers of men were castrated with pliers. Others were raped, sometimes with the use of knives, broken bottles, rifle barrels and scorpions. Women had similar instruments forced into their vaginas. The guards and officials sliced off ears and fingers, gouged out eyes, mutilated women's breasts with pliers, poured paraffin over people and set them alight. Untold thousands died."
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/oct/08/empire-torture-kenya-catastrophe-Europe

Or what was done in Egypt, Uganda, Aden, Cyprus, NI.........

• Advertisement

Some Irish people have family that served with the British Army during the world wars and wear it to remember them, others identify themselves as British or partly British and wear it as a symbol of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Not all Irishmen involved in WW1 were in the British Army. Thousands, including 4 of my own family, served in the US Armed Services, the guys that actually won that war :pac:! The obvious answer is to have a neutral, Irish specific symbol that all can wear to honour all Irishmen in the American, British, Canadian or ANZAC forces. In NI people could choose to wear either symbol or, like me and 99.99% of people in the south, wear none!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Jaysus Fred no offence, but do you have a life outside of boards and republican British threads!?

I admire your dedication to your beliefs it must be said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Jaysus Fred no offence, but do you have a life outside of boards and republican British threads!?

I admire your dedication to your beliefs it must be said!

Hello Mr Pot.

An Coilean wrote: »
    Some Irish people have family that served with the British Army during the world wars and wear it to remember them, others identify themselves as British or partly British and wear it as a symbol of that.

Would it not be better to have some sort of symbol to remember all the Oglachs who served in the war so all Irish people of all backgrounds would feel comfortable?

Would it not be better to have some sort of symbol to remember all the Oglachs who served in the war so all Irish people of all backgrounds would feel comfortable?

Feel free to start one, but there will still be people that identify with what the poppy represents.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Hello Mr Pot.

I was away all day, but you're posts are regular all day!

Anyway that's your business, no offence meant!

• Advertisement

...not only that, but why would irish people be wearing something that might fund the veterans from this....
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/apr/09/malaya-massacre-villagers-coverup
    or this

"Many tens of thousands were detained and tortured in the camps. I won't spare you the details: we have been sparing ourselves the details for far too long. Large numbers of men were castrated with pliers. Others were raped, sometimes with the use of knives, broken bottles, rifle barrels and scorpions. Women had similar instruments forced into their vaginas. The guards and officials sliced off ears and fingers, gouged out eyes, mutilated women's breasts with pliers, poured paraffin over people and set them alight. Untold thousands died."
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/oct/08/empire-torture-kenya-catastrophe-Europe

Or what was done in Egypt, Uganda, Aden, Cyprus, NI.........

So it would be like remembering the Black n Tans or Auxies? Okay makes sense now thanks.

Is the day the IRA bombed Enniskillen the day people wear it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement