Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

tdv123 wrote: »
    So it would be like remembering the Black n Tans or Auxies? Okay makes sense now thanks.

Is the day the IRA bombed Enniskillen the day people wear it?

More like remembering the Wermacht or the KGB.

These days people start wearing in late October/early November, though its supposed to be on the 11th of November, strictly speaking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Nodin wrote: »
    More like remembering the Wermacht or the KGB.

These days people start wearing in late October/early November, though its supposed to be on the 11th of November, strictly speaking.

So it's to remember all the allied forces?

The Black n Tans did take part in the war tho didn't they? So did some IRA members - Tom Barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I'm wondering if the same people who say the poppy represents a bunch of murderous bastards also think America should cancel their memorial day and not have shows of military strength before every sporting event?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

So it would be like remembering the Black n Tans or Auxies? Okay makes sense now thanks.

Is the day the IRA bombed Enniskillen the day people wear it?

What a strange question? The appeal was launched today if I read it right and some people wear/buy poppies from now up the 11th November. Some people wear it only on the day, some wear it the whole time. I know a few who wear a wee lapel badge poppy all year around. Others, as is their choice don't wear or buy one. That's freedom for you.

timthumbni wrote: »
    What a strange question? The appeal was launched today if I read it right and some people wear/buy poppies from now up the 11th November. Some people wear it only on the day, some wear it the whole time. I know a few who wear a wee lapel badge poppy all year around. Others, as is their choice don't wear or buy one. That's freedom for you.

Who's trying to take away anybody's freedom? What are you talking about? Why is it strange? I was asking why their was controversy about it in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

This 'UK media driven' trend in recent years devalues the true meaning of the poppy, and the very commemoration it stands for . . .

Who's trying to take away anybody's freedom? What are you talking about? Why is it strange? I was asking why their was controversy about it in Ireland.

I just find it kind of odd that you as someone in the recent "garda killer freed" thread asked if you were supposed to shed tears over the two dead garda and in fact I seem to remember you saying they should never have been in jail in the first place.

I just find it difficult to understand that you would have such profound views politically on the republican murders of 2 garda but you appear to have no idea about the poppy whatsoever. Maybe it was someone with a similar username to you.

If so I apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Wear one if you wish to remember a family member that served, wear one if you support what the British stood against and died for, stick one up your arse if you want to aswell. But some of the anti British bigoted nonsense in this thread suggests how tiny a brain some people have. Yea, they have a less than wholesome record in this country, mind you the irish treatment of protestants haven't being spectacular either, read both sides of the story.

The past is the past.. move on. Let people remember who and whatever they wish

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

bumper234 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if the same people who say the poppy represents a bunch of murderous bastards also think America should cancel their memorial day and not have shows of military strength before every sporting event?

Ah you're back, hows that list of freedoms coming along?

Seems as how I inspired you to bring up memorial day, why dont you brits celebrate it? Bit of gratitude to the yanks for the fact that you don't speak german thanks to them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

the irish treatment of protestants haven't being spectacular either, read both sides of the story.

Indeed, one of them was denied a job as a librarian it seems :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Bambi wrote: »

Seems as how I inspired you to bring up memorial day, why dont you brits celebrate it? Bit of gratitude to the yanks for the fact that you don't speak german thanks to them

I don't recall you inspiring me to do anything, have you been watching war movies all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Bambi wrote: »

America didn't save our arse, Russia did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

the irish treatment of protestants haven't being spectacular either, read both sides of the story.

Lol, there's a long history of Irish Catholics being subject to injustice from Protestants on this island.

Irish Catholics were forbidden to own land, forbidden to attend school past a certain grade, could not hold public office, could not give testimony in court, could not vote, denied the right to worship, congregate, own property and to speak their language.

To this day the Orange Order events our friends from the north bring their kids to are inherently sectarian and anti-Catholic.

Catholics have a language? That's a new one on me!

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Catholics have a language? That's a new one on me!

I remember a lot of west belfast ones I worked with used to speak fluent Latin in their lunch breaks at the bookies. does that count?

I remember a lot of west belfast ones I worked with used to speak fluent Latin in their lunch breaks at the bookies. does that count?
    That must be the one. I can't think of any other catholic language. Maybe Coptic? But I don't remember Unionists ever forbidding that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

a lot of west belfast ones...

'Ones'?

'Taigs' is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Manassas61

Some people just can't handle it that many Irish people wear the poppy.

'Ones'?

'Taigs' is it?

Chuck. You are wasted on these boards I tells ya. If you had have stayed in. Norn iron (or da occupied 6 counties just for ya) you would maybe speaka the lingo better. Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

America didn't save our arse, Russia did.

Not like they had much of a choice, was it?

'Ones'?

'Taigs' is it?

I also know plenty of west belfasty ones who don't speak the old Latin. They are from the shankill though. Haha.

Derry people might refer to them as west Belfast "wans" though I can't really understand the derry ones, even though I'm a Londonderry man myself. I put this down to the fact I'm a country boy myself. City ones are all a bit weird if you ask me. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I will be saying No to the political poppy plaything.

I just find it kind of odd that you as someone in the recent "garda killer freed" thread asked if you were supposed to shed tears over the two dead garda and in fact I seem to remember you saying they should never have been in jail in the first place.

I just find it difficult to understand that you would have such profound views politically on the republican murders of 2 garda but you appear to have no idea about the poppy whatsoever. Maybe it was someone with a similar username to you.

If so I apologise.

Well maybe they should have been in jail but as POW's, they were political killings. I didn't mean to offend anyone by those comments. I should have been more sensitive but I was trying to make the point that the Government has done much more brutal things to Republicans than the 2 shootings. For example how were these killings worse than the Ballyseedy massacre?

What role has the poppy played in Irish Republicanism?

Manassas61 wrote: »
    Some people just can't handle it that many Irish people wear the poppy.

Many? I have lived here all my life and have never once seen it worn here.

What role has the poppy played in Irish Republicanism?

...none?

An Coilean wrote: »
    Not like they had much of a choice, was it?
    Not exactly but my point is America's involvement in the war didn't change the outcome.

Not exactly but my point is America's involvement in the war didn't change the outcome.

.....so when they ran WWII before without the Americans the Nazis still lost?

Thats quite debatable, the impact of American airpower on German industery was considerable, I'm not saying that the Russians would not have been able to defeat the Germans without the disruption to Germanys economy and manafacturing industery, the material aid(limited though it was) and the eventual western front, that all required American Involvment in the war in Europe, but it would have been a much more dificult task for them and they may well have seen a negioated peace as better than a long and dragged out war to defeat the Germans by themselves.

• Advertisement

...none?

Why is the other poster saying I should know all about the poppy because of my Republican roots?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement