Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Nodin wrote: »
    .....so when they ran WWII before without the Americans the Nazis still lost?
    Yeah they called it WWI with decreased American alpha and the Nazi covariant was renamed. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

tdv123 wrote: »
    Why is the other poster saying I should know all about the poppy because of my Republican roots?

I presume that he believes that as a Republican you should have heard of it and know what it stands for at least. He has a point.

An Coilean wrote: »
    Thats quite debatable, the impact of American airpower on German industery was considerable, I'm not saying that the Russians would not have been able to defeat the Germans without the disruption to Germanys economy and manafacturing industery, the material aid(limited though it was) and the eventual western front, that all required American Involvment in the war in Europe, but it would have been a much more dificult task for them and they may well have seen a negioated peace as better than a long and dragged out war to defeat the Germans by themselves.
    It would have been a tougher fight, no doubt the Americans helped but their aid only affected the tempo of the war not it's conclusion. I have no doubt in my mind the Russians would never have sued for peace in what they called the "Great patriotic war". By the time the tide had turned millions of Russians were dead and the country was in flames. Stalin would have settled for nothing less then the total destruction of Nazism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I presume that he believes that as a Republican you should have heard of it and know what it stands for at least. He has a point.

Well it might surprise you but Republicans aren't anti-British & don't go around looking for British things to hate on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

.....so when they ran WWII before without the Americans the Nazis still lost?

I ran it there the other night, what with my cosmic power n'all, but this time the Germans didn't attack Russia and instead followed the retreating British across the English Channel and occupied Britain.

Mad, isn't it, what you can come up with when you let your imagination run wild.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    It would have been a tougher fight, no doubt the Americans helped but their aid only affected the tempo of the war not it's conclusion. I have no doubt in my mind the Russians would never have sued for peace in what they called the "Great patriotic war". By the time the tide had turned millions of Russians were dead and the country was in flames. Stalin would have settled for nothing less then the total destruction of Nazism.

To be fair, we are not talking about the Russians, we are talking about Stalin, and I would not be surprised in the slightest if he opted for a peace with Germany rather than fight a long and hard war on their own.
    Such a war would have had far to many similarities to WWI where Russia was blead white and ended in revolution. Why should he have risked that?

No doubt that he hated Nazism, but he had no particular like for his own people and no doubt feared being overthrown if the war dragged on for too long.

Well it might surprise you but Republicans aren't anti-British & don't go around looking for British things to hate on.

Where did I say that they did? You seem confused.

I ran it there the other night, what with my cosmic power n'all, but this time the Germans didn't attack Russia and instead followed the retreating British across the English Channel and occupied Britain.

Mad, isn't it, what you can come up with when you let your imagination run wild.

O we've had a few with some wild imaginations here so far....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87157724&postcount=224

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Thats quite debatable, the impact of American airpower on German industery was considerable, I'm not saying that the Russians would not have been able to defeat the Germans without the disruption to Germanys economy and manafacturing industery, the material aid(limited though it was) and the eventual western front, that all required American Involvment in the war in Europe, but it would have been a much more dificult task for them and they may well have seen a negioated peace as better than a long and dragged out war to defeat the Germans by themselves.

Did the Americans have a bomber that could operate missions from north America?

Where did I say that they did? You seem confused.

So the poppy doesn't have anything to do with Britain?

• Advertisement

More like remembering the Wermacht .

Great bunch of lads....weren't they??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Why is the other poster saying I should know all about the poppy because of my Republican roots?

Lol. Why are you asking ur mate this question? Youse aren't the same person are you? Only joshing.

Anyway if you read the almost 500 posts on this topic you would realise that others with republican roots seem to know absolutely everything about the poppy, the British, Aden and almost every other thing imaginable. You must be one of the young "wans" coming though who haven't read the book yet.

Ps. Your posts on the 2 murdered garda won't cut the mustard with me nor any other decent human being on here. Not by a long chalk. Political my arse.

Sure if you have never seen, nor ever even heard of the poppy before then you can continue as you were, and insult the memory of dead garda until your wee heart is content.

So the poppy doesn't have anything to do with Britain?

I explained what the poppy was about earlier with a link to the royal british legion site........

You seem unable to comprehend my posts. I'll put what I said here again

"I presume that he believes that as a Republican you should have heard of it and know what it stands for at least. He has a point."

Most do a pretty good job of pretending otherwise though.

Great bunch of lads....weren't they??

Well, the Wermacht goes into various countries, grabs them for the Reich. The Reich treats the inhabitants as second class citizens and grabs the natural resources for its own use.....I'm surprised you aren't suggesting we sell a flower to give whoever of them is left a few bob.

I explained what the poppy was about earlier with a link to the royal british legion site........

You seem unable to comprehend my posts. I'll put what I said here again

"I presume that he believes that as a Republican you should have heard of it and know what it stands for at least. He has a point."

As someone who knows all about it, you should be able to recognise the difference between the RBL poppy and the general remembrance poppy.

Just to let you know I like your post as it genuinely made my giggle like a wee schoolgirl. I love it. Do carry on. I beg you. Lol.

Well, the Wermacht goes into various countries, grabs them for the Reich. The Reich treats the inhabitants as second class citizens and grabs the natural resources for its own use.....I'm surprised you aren't suggesting we sell a flower to give whoever of them is left a few bob.

Well, the Lilly is a flower...

As someone who knows all about it, you should be able to recognise the difference between the RBL poppy and the general remembrance poppy.

I presumed he was referring to the RBL poppy..............

Most do a pretty good job of pretending otherwise though.

Oscar winning performances actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Overdahill

realies wrote: »
    Yes.
    No.
    Maybe.

I don't know.
    Can you repeat the question?

theme tune: name the tv programme for a lollipop!

To be fair, we are not talking about the Russians, we are talking about Stalin, and I would not be surprised in the slightest if he opted for a peace with Germany rather than fight a long and hard war on their own.
    Such a war would have had far to many similarities to WWI where Russia was blead white and ended in revolution. Why should he have risked that?

No doubt that he hated Nazism, but he had no particular like for his own people and no doubt feared being overthrown if the war dragged on for too long.
    Because he was winning. America was not in the war when Hitler attempted to capture Moscow but being able to focus on one front did not aid him when conditions were set against him. Hitler's failure to capture Moscow was a massive blow but it was the battle of Kursk that sealed the fate of the war.

Well, the Lilly is a flower...

Sorry Fred, I don't get you.

I was just pointing out that a great great many of the things Germans did in WW2 are exactly what the British did all over the world. However as the Germans lost the war, their shenanigans came to an end in 1945, while the British Empire dragged out their criminality for many years after.

You do see the similarities, don't you Fred? The racism, the sequestering of resources, the violence....?

I presumed he was referring to the RBL poppy..............

I think it is only fair that the distinction is made clear.

People complained about x factor contestants wearing them, but usually they will wear a fabric poppy, not the RBL one. As a symbol of remembrance it is pretty universally used.

As I pointed out earlier, we had conscription in Britain, so it is right and proper that the dead of two world wars are remembered.

timthumbni wrote: »
    Lol. Why are you asking ur mate this question? Youse aren't the same person are you? Only joshing.

Anyway if you read the almost 500 posts on this topic you would realise that others with republican roots seem to know absolutely everything about the poppy, the British, Aden and almost every other thing imaginable. You must be one of the young "wans" coming though who haven't read the book yet.

Ps. Your posts on the 2 murdered garda won't cut the mustard with me nor any other decent human being on here. Not by a long chalk. Political my arse.

Sure if you have never seen, nor ever even heard of the poppy before then you can continue as you were, and insult the memory of dead garda until your wee heart is content.

I'd have no problem with wearing the poppy if I thought it was to remember the brave Irish Volunteers who fought in the great war, but I'm getting the feeling people here don't respect the Irish who fought in the War because their anti-British.

And I'm not insulting the memory of the dead Gardai, I'm sorry anybody has to die in war. But us Republicans believe that the Free State & following Banana Republic ruined this country with their extreme conservative policies & letting the Catholic church run the country. Not to mention the the executions of 77 POW's & the murder of our great Cathal Brugha.

Sorry Fred, I don't get you.

I was just pointing out that a great great many of the things Germans did in WW2 are exactly what the British did all over the world. However as the Germans lost the war, their shenanigans came to an end in 1945, while the British Empire dragged out their criminality for many years after.

You do see the similarities, don't you Fred? The racism, the sequestering of resources, the violence....?

Loosely, yes. Every empire for the last three millennia was pretty much based on taking what other people had. It is part of the history of the world.

timthumbni wrote: »
    Just to let you know I like your post as it genuinely made my giggle like a wee schoolgirl. I love it. Do carry on. I beg you. Lol.

What's funny about it? Some of our closest allies are British. George Galloway & Tony Benn for example.

Your very narrow minded.

Loosely, yes. Every empire for the last three millennia was pretty much based on taking what other people had. It is part of the history of the world.

Yep. Yet here we are in the 21st century and not everyone can own up to what was done decades before....that's the advantage of not losing the war, I suppose.

Yep. Yet here we are in the 21st century and not everyone can own up to what was done decades before....that's the advantage of not losing the war, I suppose.

Own up to what? I played no part in the empire. In fact, your forefathers probably played as big a part as mine did.

• Advertisement

Own up to what? I played no part in the empire. In fact, your forefathers probably played as big a part as mine did.

I didn't say you Fred, though you often seem to be less than forthcoming with condemnation of it. The whole notion of a "glorious past" and "nobility" of the BA is as wrong headed as the Japanese idea of themselves as the 'liberators of asia'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement