Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

old hippy wrote: »
    Yes indeed, there's no denying that but there's many decent men and women who have served in the armed forces over decades.

....you could say the same about the KGB. 'nasty job but somebody had to keep the poles in line', 'decent chaps, harsh but fair'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Nodin wrote: »
    ....you could say the same about the KGB. 'nasty job but somebody had to keep the poles in line', 'decent chaps, harsh but fair'.

That's a rather silly comparison, Nodin, as well you know. I have friends and family who have served in various armed forces around the world and they aren't monsters, you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭paulbok

No, It's a British amry commeration symbol so I wouldn't wear one, same as I wouldn't wear one for the American, Canadian, Brazilian or Iranian army.
    Nothing against the British commerating their own, but like another poster mentioned, do they have to start wearing it 4/5 weeks in advance? Dilutes the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jjdub1

My great-great grandfather was killed in Gallipolli in August 1915, 3 days after he arrived there with his battalion, straight from training. I find what happened him and many like him incredibly sad - something that was hidden away and not talked of for generations - yet he was remembered and commemorated by the war graves commission (funded by the poppy appeal) when they were considered pariahs in their homeland. I have no issue with the poppy or anyone who wears it.

paulbok wrote: »
    No, It's a British amry commeration symbol so I wouldn't wear one, same as I wouldn't wear one for the American, Canadian, Brazilian or Iranian army.
    Nothing against the British commerating their own, but like another poster mentioned, do they have to start wearing it 4/5 weeks in advance? Dilutes the idea.

It's like Xmas. Getting earlier every year. There does seem to be a bit of pressure, perhaps to wear them. I've never been asked over here if I wear one but I imagine if I was, say, on telly or in the local conservative club I would. Actually, my local does have a mix of political believers and some wear it, some don't.

• Advertisement

That's a rather silly comparison, Nodin, as well you know. I have friends and family who have served in various armed forces around the world and they aren't monsters, you know :)

As I said, the job was to keep the locals down. They did it everywhere from Burma to Kenya to Aden to Egypt. The money doesn't go to the ones the locals made friends with on facebook, it goes to ex servicemen full stop. As a result, they won't get a bean from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

but there's many decent men and women who have served in the armed forces over decades.

And an equal amount of Crazy Cúnts too

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

****ing ridiculous. I should be able to go for a pint anyime I choose. Closing the pubs because of the church is stupid.

Saint Patrick and his Shamrock.

Ban the weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,812 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

jjdub1 wrote: »
    My great-great grandfather was killed in Gallipolli in August 1915, 3 days after he arrived there with his battalion, straight from training. I find what happened him and many like him incredibly sad - something that was hidden away and not talked of for generations - yet he was remembered and commemorated by the war graves commission (funded by the poppy appeal) when they were considered pariahs in their homeland. I have no issue with the poppy or anyone who wears it.

My great-great Grandfather also died in the first World War (I believe it was in France. Unfortunately there's not that much info).

It was actually during the closing stages of the war. My Great-great Grandmother was expecting him home, but got a letter instead.

The fact that he was fighting for the British army always left my family a bit confused as to how to handle it. Terribly sad situation alright. In the end it just came down to him providing for his family during very hard times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

You dont know what they did or didnt do out there. Im sure the families of those who shot people up on bloody sunday dont think their fathers and sons and husbands are monsters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's like Xmas. Getting earlier every year. There does seem to be a bit of pressure, perhaps to wear them. I've never been asked over here if I wear one but I imagine if I was, say, on telly or in the local conservative club I would. Actually, my local does have a mix of political believers and some wear it, some don't.

It should be a personal choice though. I think pressure to do so in certain quarters has creeped in over the past few years. Like you mentioned people in the public eye such as television presenters all seem to wear them, Professional footballers also on their jerseys, for instance James McClean caused a bit of a stir in Sunderland last year when he refused to sport one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

No, none of our lot were in the BA and I don't feel the need to wear an Easter Lilly either. If someone's family fought in WW1 or 2 or whatever, fair enough.

Just a thing: all the poppy-bullying on the Beeb is a bit much, if a presenter or someone doesn't want to wear one during Nov they shouldn't be looked at as if they have two heads and turn it into a witch hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

No. It is a British day of observation. Why should we ape them?

Why is Poppy day now 720 hours long?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Great Grand Father fought in WWI, he refused to wear one, so I don't see why I should wear one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

No. The British Army have a shameful history on this island.

mitosis wrote: »
    No. It is a British day of observation. Why should we ape them?

Why is Poppy day now 720 hours long?

My own guess is Afghanistan. It'll be interesting to see the attitude after the final withdrawal.

You dont know what they did or didnt do out there. Im sure the families of those who shot people up on bloody sunday dont think their fathers and sons and husbands are monsters.

Ach, it always comes down to bloody sunday. You cannot judge all soldiers by one horrific case.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Does anyone in Ireland ever wear one?

Id imagine some scummers hoping on someone if they wore one.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Yeah.

I remember the past three years living here in Ireland I've worn one, and waiting at the bus stop or wherever, there's always some old idiot who decides to either give me a lecture about it or ask me if I even know WHAT it means, to all of which I usually reply that yes I do and if they don't stop judging me for it I'll quickly text my uncle and ask him to send them a picture of the two fake legs he's forced to live with after losing his own serving for the british army not even 4 years ago.

So yes I'll wear a poppy to show my support for the armed forces the same way I spend most of my free time fundraising for charities like H4H so that injured soldiers get the treatment and compensation they deserve.

Sob stories dont just work for X Factor, they also make judgemental idiots feel reallyyy bad about themselves. :D

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Id imagine some scummers hoping on someone if they wore one.

Because we're known for being a broadminded, tolerant lot, who respect other peoples' traditions and sacrifices?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

No, I've no interest in commemorating a different countries armed forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Me wearing a poppy would be like donning widow's weeds and keening in the front pew at a stranger's funeral.

I would keep a minute's silence if in the UK or in the company of people who were observing it.

I hate that this has become political. I might just listen to good old PJ on Armistice Day, and thank my stars that I was born long after all that slaughter.

padma wrote: »

Many many Irishmen fought and died in WW1. Should they not be remembered? I'm not saying one has to wear a poppy but it's sad that these brave people are shunned and dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

ynwa14 wrote: »
    Yeah.

I remember the past three years living here in Ireland I've worn one, and waiting at the bus stop or wherever, there's always some old idiot who decides to either give me a lecture about it or ask me if I even know WHAT it means, to all of which I usually reply that yes I do and if they don't stop judging me for it I'll quickly text my uncle and ask him to send them a picture of the two fake legs he's forced to live with after losing his own serving for the british army not even 4 years ago.

So yes I'll wear a poppy to show my support for the armed forces the same way I spend most of my free time fundraising for charities like H4H so that injured soldiers get the treatment and compensation they deserve.

Sob stories dont just work for X Factor, they also make judgemental idiots feel reallyyy bad about themselves. :D

So you support war criminals who occupy other peoples' lands, massacre them, maim them, kill their kids, and yet someone giving you a bit of stick for doing so is an idiot? :rolleyes:

Why not fundraise for those maimed by the British forces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

I won't be wearing one as I do not care either way, but I do not understand why it is so hated that Irish people might wear them. Like it or not, thousands of Irish people died in World War One and World War Two, so why would you not remember them?

Mainly because its also a symbol of rememberance for the men who shot the 1916 leaders, and the men who fired into the crowd in Croke Park on Bloody Sunday, and of course the men who were responsible for the later bloody sunday in Derry, and the men involved in all the other atrocities perptrated by the British armed forces in Ireland over the years.

I understand that there are people who have a strong connection to their own family members who served in the British army over the years and wear it for that reason, I dont have any problem with that, but you must also realise that there are other families that have had relatives killed by men wearing a British Uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

padma wrote: »
    This. It's not something anti-British specifically, I don't wear a poppy for the same reason I don't celebrate Veteran's Day or Armistice Day.

Ach, it always comes down to bloody sunday. You cannot judge all soldiers by one horrific case.

Would you like me to drag up a rake of others?
    Because we're known for being a broadminded, tolerant lot, who respect other peoples' traditions and sacrifices? .

Respect Imperialism?

Are ye mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

No, but i might just to piss some people off

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So you support war criminals who occupy other peoples' lands, massacre them, maim them, kill their kids, and yet someone giving you a bit of stick for doing so is an idiot? :rolleyes:

Why not fundraise for those maimed by the British forces?

Who supports war criminals? The ordinary Joe soldier is no different to you or I.

Come on Ireland, get over your petty hatreds :( I know you can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Just a thing: all the poppy-bullying on the Beeb is a bit much, if a presenter or someone doesn't want to wear one during Nov they shouldn't be looked at as if they have two heads and turn it into a witch hunt.

Agree with this, the abuse (including death threats) James McClean got for refusing to wear the poppy on his jersey was ridiculous, and scary. Considering where he was from, he was fully entitled to abstain from it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement