Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I wear 5 of them in a line so It looks like I've been riddled with bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

LordSutch wrote: »
    I, and most of the congragation in my Church would wear one to commemorate family members who died in both World Wars, a fact which is testified to by the Vicar who reads out the names of the parish fallen on Rembrance Sunday, preceded by a buglar who plays the last post. Its all very sombre and traditional as we bow our heads and think of the grave stones outside with family names inscribed on them, not forgetting the 50.000 Irish men who never came back. This is where my head is when I buy my poppy every year.

I should of course mention the current Irish regiments in the BA who are currently in service, and their families back in Ireland (North & South) who have every right to wear a poppy for their loved ones who have died on the battlefield in recent years.

Does this Vicar ever read out the names of those fighting against the BA and for our freedom....say on Easter Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I wear the white poppy

You can buy one here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

bumper234 wrote: »
    So do you think that money made from poppy sales in Ireland goes to the Royal British Legion?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Palmach wrote: »
    People have the freedom to wear what they like but others also have the freedom to judge them for wearing such symbols.

So if you wear a cross on a chain I should be allowed to judge you? If you have a star of David earring I should be allowed to judge you? If you have a tattoo of a Celtic cross I should be allowed to judge you?

Yes.

Do you know that the money from poppy sales in Ireland STAYS in Ireland and goes to the Irish families of soldiers who fought for the BA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

So if you wear a cross on a chain I should be allowed to judge you? If you have a star of David earring I should be allowed to judge you? If you have a tattoo of a Celtic cross I should be allowed to judge you?

More like they're going to judge you tbh.

• Advertisement

More like they're going to judge you tbh.

Apparently I am judged already because I wear a poppy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm British. I'm in London tomorrow (unless the storms stop my flight from leaving Dublin) and will no doubt donate £10 to the Poppy Appeal whilst I'm there. I'll observe the minute's silence on the 11th but probably won't wear the poppy when I'm back in this country. I did the first year I was here and no adverse comments came my way but I wear a poppy as a personal sign of appreciation for ordinary people risking their life for my country. It's not a political statement and I'd be respectful towards Irish people who feel passionatly about this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Whats that got to do with wearing a poppy or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Do you know that the money from poppy sales in Ireland STAYS in Ireland and goes to the Irish families of soldiers who fought for the BA?
    Why? I live in the UK and if I ever got injured in my line of work I wouldn't expect to go back to Ireland, begging bowl in hand and live off charitable donations.

Why are people being asked to fund what is basically some young lad's sense of adventure? There's an (official) army here at home, but alas for some it doesn't see enough "action" or have enough "equipment".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Hilly Bill wrote: »

It confirms that the poppy is a symbol of Loyalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

moxin wrote: »

No it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I've found the ones most adament from Ireland about displaying the poppy, have ''hormone'' imbalances. I'm sorry. That's my particular judgment if I were to see one.

Hilly Bill wrote: »

Your money goes to support them should they need it if you buy the red poppy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'm British. I'm in London tomorrow (unless the storms stop my flight from leaving Dublin) and will no doubt donate £10 to the Poppy Appeal whilst I'm there. I'll observe the minute's silence on the 11th but probably won't wear the poppy when I'm back in this country. I did the first year I was here and no adverse comments came my way but I wear a poppy as a personal sign of appreciation for ordinary people risking their life for my country. It's not a political statement and I'd be respectful towards Irish people who feel passionatly about this subject.

Thats the thing beefy. Its your country you are english so you can decide to wear one or not. But its looks like some here want to put pressure on Irish people to support the wearing of the poppy for what was an army of occupation that was in Ireland. (and for some people still is).

And whoever (COYW i think) said that we should be grateful for the english army for the freedom we enjoy today.....Whata load of PoppyCock.
    If anything its the russians and mericans.
    Russians for the sheer weight of numbers thrown against Hitler and americans for the superior military equipment.
    Britain for winnning the battle of britain. Anyway asaik it was never hitlers intention to invade britain, it was just to keep it occupied while he took over europe. Which actually succeeded until he went the way of napoleon and though he could defeat the russian winter.

Ive no problem either way, as long as you dont wear Che murderous bstrd Guevara tshirts youre all right in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Why should Irish people buy an Easter lily when it helps to fund and commemorate terrorists who murdered women and kids?

Money from lilies goes to the national graves association. You don't even know what it is you're opposed to

• Advertisement

I've found the ones most adament from Ireland about displaying the poppy, have ''hormone'' imbalances. I'm sorry. That's my particular judgment if I were to see one.

You have scientific proof to back this up of course?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Thelonious

No way would I ever wear one. It's a politically charged symbol used in a cynical manner to drum up support for wars overseas.

Money from lilies goes to the national graves association. You don't even know what it is you're opposed to

Yeah because sinn fein are so honest. Didn't they used to tell American saps that money donated to Noraid was going to hungry children:rolleyes:

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Why? I live in the UK and if I ever got injured in my line of work I wouldn't expect to go back to Ireland, begging bowl in hand and live off charitable donations.

Why are people being asked to fund what is basically some young lad's sense of adventure? There's an (official) army here at home, but alas for some it doesn't see enough "action" or have enough "equipment".

Or maybe because it's a tiny army and therefore recruitment is small which drives people who wish to work in this area to go to the UK to join up.

If they need it then fair enough. I think a lot on here already knew what a soldier looked like without having a picture to explain it to them.
    It's not as if people were buying the poppy without reason and then will stop when they see a picture of a soldier it might go to if he needs it.

No it just confirms that no matter where they are from some young lads are ****ing idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

But we're not talking about lillies were talkin about the poppy, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Yes you should. You wear the symbol it means you suppoort what it stands for.

Why doesn't the British government support them? Of all those ministers wearing poppies want to be so patriotic let make sure er-servicemen have what they need.

How exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Or maybe because it's a tiny army and therefore recruitment is small which drives people who wish to work in this area to go to the UK to join up.
    So career soldiers then? Trying to think of another word for that....

Mercenaries perhaps?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement