Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

bumper234 wrote: »

I have yet to be at a commemorative event Involving wreaths and poppies where people have "celebrated".

Weren't at the bash for Thatcher then no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

wazky wrote: »
    Weren't at the bash for Thatcher then no?

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Anyone critical of British/Unionist/Loyalist violence is a 'shinner', 'shinner-bot' or 'armchair Republican'.

News for y'all. Most people despise British/Unionist/Loyalist violence against our people.

...and I've barely mentioned the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

moxin wrote: »
    By buying a poppy, you are giving money towards soldiers of a foreign army who are loyalists, not just your average Englishman.

And whats wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

Oh Bumper you dote....it doesnt matter what anyone says your responses are the same and keep the fun rolling <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    And whats wrong with that?

They murdered alot of Irish people and yet we are expected to fund their retirements?!

Of course I wouldn't but then no one would force me to buy such a thing the same way no one is forcing anyone to buy or wear a poppy!

So you have no problem funding the welfare of murderers of civilians no matter what state they are from. Certainly a shocking point of view, thankfully many British people disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

They murdered alot of Irish people and yet we are expected to fund their retirements?!

You are not expected to pay for anything.

So you have no problem funding the welfare of murderers of civilians no matter what state they are from. Certainly a shocking point of view, thankfully many British people disagree with you.

Erm.....I am British and the majority of British people support the poppy appeal and wear them with pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

I would, I will, with pride!

• Advertisement

Erm.....I am British and the majority of British people support the poppy appeal and wear them with pride.

And you clearly declared you had no problem funding the welfare of murderers from your army, who disgraced your country's armed forces. That I think would disgust many British people.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

And you clearly declared you had no problem funding the welfare of murderers from your army, who disgraced your country's armed forces. That I think would disgust many British people.

Its true, on the welfare application form there a section where you list how many paddies you done in. You get a tenner extra per week/ per paddy.

I come from a military background and I served for 5 years myself including in the first gulf war. I never saw any murders and I never saw anyone act in a way that would disgrace the armed forces. As I said the MAJORITY of British people support the troops and the poppy appeal because they won't let the actions of a few mar the memories and actions of the many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I come from a military background and I served for 5 years myself including in the first gulf war. I never saw any murders and I never saw anyone act in a way that would disgrace the armed forces. As I said the MAJORITY of British people support the troops and the poppy appeal because they won't let the actions of a few mar the memories and actions of the many.

"a few"? They were enforcing state policy when they committed their worst atrocities. You keep dodging that like the plague though.

Nodin wrote: »
    "a few"? They were enforcing state policy when they committed their worst atrocities. You keep dodging that like the plague though.

Yes and I could sit here and wring my hands all day long apologising for a government and an army that committed atrocities in the past. Would that sate one persons hatred by even 1% do you think? What happened happened I wasn't there and neither were my Grandparent's who fought in both world wars.

If you all want to keep remembering the atrocities that the BA committed over the last thousand years and wringing your hands over it then I guess that's your right but everytime you do bring up things from the past I will be within my rights to bring up and remind you of murders and atrocities that the Irish committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Nodin wrote: »

Sounds like your issue should be with the British state rather than the soldiers.

Well, those soldiers who shot to death many civilians in NI disgraced your army but the authorities did nothing about it(no convictions) hence the hurt felt by many Irish people at this.

The British Armed Forces which are supported by the British people are not the Armed Forces of Ireland and even if the NI conflict never happened, the poppy tradition still has nothing to do with Ireland.

Well, those soldiers who shot to death many civilians in NI disgraced your army but the authorities did nothing about it(no convictions) hence the hurt felt by many Irish people at this.

The British Armed Forces which are supported by the British people are not the Armed Forces of Ireland and even if the NI conflict never happened, the poppy tradition still has nothing to do with Ireland.

Except of course for the 50,000 Irish soldiers who fought in the great wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

There is nothing great about World War 1

There is nothing great about World War 1

Oh my.

• Advertisement

Most of them are probably dead. They served for individual reasons like a chance to earn some dosh, they did not represent Ireland.

Oh my.

Oh you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Oh my.
    Well there isn't. How on earth could there be? Huge respect for the thousands and thousands of young men who sacrificed their lives, but it was a terrible human tragedy and waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Well let's reverse this logic and apply it to the ira.

A few bad apples and all....

Well there isn't. How on earth could there be? Huge respect for the thousands and thousands of young men who sacrificed their lives, but it was a terrible human tragedy and waste.

You would swear it is a name that I had just made up for it

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/

Hint.....its been called the great war for some time now :rolleyes:

Well let's reverse this logic and apply it to the ira.

A few bad apples and all....

Do the majority of Irish people support the IRA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I know that, but I thought you took exception to someone saying there was nothing great about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Most of them are probably dead. They served for individual reasons like a chance to earn some dosh, they did not represent Ireland.

They represented Ireland to a far greater extent than you think you do.

Oh sorry, you mean it was great because millions were slaughtered for a strip of land measuring 17sqft :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I know that, but I thought you took exception to someone saying there was nothing great about it.

Nope.

I called the great war (something it has been called for many years)

Poster stated the obvious that there was nothing "great" about ww1

I said oh my.

That's not taking exception it's laughing at the futility of him pointing out the obvious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement