Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

bumper234 wrote: »
    Do the majority of Irish people support the IRA?

No they don't support murderers, unlike the majority of British people who support the army?

Is this your logic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Oh sorry, you mean it was great because millions were slaughtered for a strip of land measuring 17sqft :rolleyes:

Please point out where I said it was great. Or are you refering to where I called it the great war (something it has been called for a hundred years.) Maybe we shouldn't call it world war 2 anymore because you know.....not the "whole" world was involved. :rolleyes:

No they don't support murderers, unlike the majority of British people who support the army?

Is this your logic?

So every British soldier past and present is a murderer?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I said oh my.

That's not taking exception it's laughing at the futility of him pointing out the obvious.

You 'oh my' must mean something different to everyone else's 'oh my'

You 'oh my' must mean something different to everyone else's 'oh my'

Nope ..... just yours ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I was never against the poppy when I was living in England, would have been quite happy wearing one.

But over the last few years it has been increasingly getting over the top. People seem to be wearing them earlier every year. Followed by the usual witchunt of celebrities who don't wear them as "TRAITORS". Footballers (e.g. James McClean) subject to death threats, and of course here in Northern Ireland its unionist symbol, which many undoubtedly wear to get one over "themmuns".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

A Royal Marine sergeant murdered a badly wounded Taliban prisoner by shooting him in the chest at point blank range in a “field execution”, a court martial heard.
    He then taunted the dying man to “shuffle off this mortal coil”, before turning to his comrades and telling them to keep quiet because he had broken the Geneva Convention.

The alleged execution was captured in graphic video inadvertently filmed by one of the Marines on a helmet-mounted camera.
    Three Marines, who have been granted anonymity to protect them from terrorist attack, are facing court martial for murder in the first case of its kind for British troops involved in the Afghan campaign.

Prosecutors told a seven-strong military board that Marine A had killed the wounded man after the insurgent was captured on September 15, 2011. Two of his comrades, Marines B and C, had “encouraged and assisted”. All have pleaded not guilty.

David Perry QC said the Taliban fighter had been badly wounded when they found him and was “harmless and posed no danger”.
    He said: “This was not a killing in the heat or exercise of armed conflict. The prosecution case is that it amounted to a field execution. An execution of a man who was entitled to be treated with dignity and respect.”

The trial was shown film of the Royal Marine patrol finding the armed Taliban fighter in a field where he had been badly wounded by a burst of cannon fire from an Apache helicopter.
    The Marines drag the young man in blood-soaked robes to a treeline, saying they want to move him somewhere where they cannot be seen by cameras on a nearby surveillance blimp.
    Marine A asks the patrol if anyone wants to give the fighter first aid, and several reply “no”.
    Marine C suggests shooting the captive in the head, while Marine A disagrees, saying it would be “obvious”.
    Marine A, an experienced sergeant, is seen kneeling next to the man and putting his pistol to his chest and firing. The wounded man can be seen twitching and apparently struggling after the shot.
    Marine A then says: “There you are. Shuffle off this mortal coil you c***. It’s nothing you wouldn’t do to us.”

He turns to his patrol and says: “Obviously this doesn’t go anywhere fellas. I have just broken the Geneva Convention.”
    One comrade replies: “Roger”.
    Later, the patrol can be heard reporting back on the radio that the fighter has died of his wounds.
    The court martial, which began under tight security at Bulford military court centre in Wiltshire, heard the incident followed an attack on a British patrol base in Helmand province.
    Two Taliban insurgents attacked Patrol Base Taalander with small arms fire and an Apache helicopter gunship was sent from Camp Bastion to respond.
    The helicopter gunship fired 139 rounds from its 30mm cannon and the Marines were sent on a “battle damage assessment” from nearby Checkpoint Omar to see if the attackers had been killed.

They found the badly wounded man, armed with an old AK-47 assault rifle, two magazines of ammunition and a hand grenade, lying in the middle of a field.
    Mr Perry said: “It was obvious that they were intent upon killing their detainee, who at the time of the killing was harmless and who posed no danger to the defendants.”
    The dead man was left where he was killed and he has never been identified.
    The incident only came to light later when another member of the patrol was arrested by UK police investigating another crime. They found the video on his laptop and called the military authorities.

Mr Perry said: “The video clearly shows that they were involved in the execution of a severely injured man. It also shows that they lied about the circumstances in which that injured man met his death.”
    Marine C wrote his own account of the incident in a diary which was seized in the investigation.
    Recalling the incident, he wrote he had been keen to shoot the captive himself and felt no pity because the wounded man had attacked British troops.
    “I was ready and waiting to pop him with one in the heart with the 9mm.”
    When another Marine shot him instead, Marine C said he was “mugged off, but job done. The little f***** was dead at the end of the day.”
    He later dismissed his own account as the “ramblings of a very scared and angry person”.
    The trial continues.

By Ben Farmer, Defence Correspondent11:52AM BST 23 Oct 2013

And so it continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

realies wrote: »
    A Royal Marine sergeant murdered a badly wounded Taliban prisoner by shooting him in the chest at point blank range in a “field execution”, a court martial heard.
    He then taunted the dying man to “shuffle off this mortal coil”, before turning to his comrades and telling them to keep quiet because he had broken the Geneva Convention.

The alleged execution was captured in graphic video inadvertently filmed by one of the Marines on a helmet-mounted camera.
    Three Marines, who have been granted anonymity to protect them from terrorist attack, are facing court martial for murder in the first case of its kind for British troops involved in the Afghan campaign.

Prosecutors told a seven-strong military board that Marine A had killed the wounded man after the insurgent was captured on September 15, 2011. Two of his comrades, Marines B and C, had “encouraged and assisted”. All have pleaded not guilty.

David Perry QC said the Taliban fighter had been badly wounded when they found him and was “harmless and posed no danger”.
    He said: “This was not a killing in the heat or exercise of armed conflict. The prosecution case is that it amounted to a field execution. An execution of a man who was entitled to be treated with dignity and respect.”

The trial was shown film of the Royal Marine patrol finding the armed Taliban fighter in a field where he had been badly wounded by a burst of cannon fire from an Apache helicopter.
    The Marines drag the young man in blood-soaked robes to a treeline, saying they want to move him somewhere where they cannot be seen by cameras on a nearby surveillance blimp.
    Marine A asks the patrol if anyone wants to give the fighter first aid, and several reply “no”.
    Marine C suggests shooting the captive in the head, while Marine A disagrees, saying it would be “obvious”.
    Marine A, an experienced sergeant, is seen kneeling next to the man and putting his pistol to his chest and firing. The wounded man can be seen twitching and apparently struggling after the shot.
    Marine A then says: “There you are. Shuffle off this mortal coil you c***. It’s nothing you wouldn’t do to us.”

He turns to his patrol and says: “Obviously this doesn’t go anywhere fellas. I have just broken the Geneva Convention.”
    One comrade replies: “Roger”.
    Later, the patrol can be heard reporting back on the radio that the fighter has died of his wounds.
    The court martial, which began under tight security at Bulford military court centre in Wiltshire, heard the incident followed an attack on a British patrol base in Helmand province.
    Two Taliban insurgents attacked Patrol Base Taalander with small arms fire and an Apache helicopter gunship was sent from Camp Bastion to respond.
    The helicopter gunship fired 139 rounds from its 30mm cannon and the Marines were sent on a “battle damage assessment” from nearby Checkpoint Omar to see if the attackers had been killed.

They found the badly wounded man, armed with an old AK-47 assault rifle, two magazines of ammunition and a hand grenade, lying in the middle of a field.
    Mr Perry said: “It was obvious that they were intent upon killing their detainee, who at the time of the killing was harmless and who posed no danger to the defendants.”
    The dead man was left where he was killed and he has never been identified.
    The incident only came to light later when another member of the patrol was arrested by UK police investigating another crime. They found the video on his laptop and called the military authorities.

Mr Perry said: “The video clearly shows that they were involved in the execution of a severely injured man. It also shows that they lied about the circumstances in which that injured man met his death.”
    Marine C wrote his own account of the incident in a diary which was seized in the investigation.
    Recalling the incident, he wrote he had been keen to shoot the captive himself and felt no pity because the wounded man had attacked British troops.
    “I was ready and waiting to pop him with one in the heart with the 9mm.”
    When another Marine shot him instead, Marine C said he was “mugged off, but job done. The little f***** was dead at the end of the day.”
    He later dismissed his own account as the “ramblings of a very scared and angry person”.
    The trial continues.

By Ben Farmer, Defence Correspondent11:52AM BST 23 Oct 2013

And so it continues...
    FFS the Taliban play by the rules; tis the very least the brits should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I was never against the poppy when I was living in England, would have been quite happy wearing one.

But over the last few years it has been increasingly getting over the top. People seem to be wearing them earlier every year. Followed by the usual witchunt of celebrities who don't wear them as "TRAITORS". Footballers (e.g. James McClean getting death threats), and of course here in Northern Ireland its unionist symbol, which many undoubtedly wear to get one over "themmuns".

"Undoubtedly" in your own head maybe. I'm from Norn iron too, a unionist and wear a poppy each year. I don't wear it to get one over on "themmuns" as you put it. It doesn't even cross my mind. I don't know anyone in fact who would wear it for such a reason.

How exactly would it be getting one over "themmuns" as you put it anyway? Wearing a small pin badge or paper poppy. That would be a pretty insignificant way to get one over on "themmuns". Sorry but that's absolute rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yes and I could sit here and wring my hands all day long apologising for a government and an army that committed atrocities in the past. Would that sate one persons hatred by even 1% do you think? What happened happened I wasn't there and neither were my Grandparent's who fought in both world wars.

Yet if a German was here looking for money for veterans of WW1 and WW2, that's exactly what he'd have to do, and his lot stopped before yours did.

Why should the British Empire be left out of the list of historys villains?

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Yet if a German was here looking for money for veterans of WW1 and WW2, that's exactly what he'd have to do, and his lot stopped before yours did.

Why should the British Empire be left out of the list of historys villains?

I would never expect a German soldier to apologise for ww1 or 2

So every British soldier past and present is a murderer?

That post was in answer to above and while in no doubt that not all BA are murderers they have got some history going back even just 40 years,That's 40 years after WW2 has ended.

If as you say that's the least the Brits can do,don't be to surprised when you get people who won't were there poppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

timthumbni wrote: »
    "Undoubtedly" in your own head maybe. I'm from Norn iron too, a unionist and wear a poppy each year. I don't wear it to get one over on "themmuns" as you put it. It doesn't even cross my mind. I don't know anyone in fact who would wear it for such a reason.

How exactly would it be getting one over "themmuns" as you put it anyway? Wearing a small pin badge or paper poppy. That would be a pretty insignificant way to get one over on "themmuns". Sorry but that's absolute rubbish.

I respect that there are significant number of unionists who are linked with the armed forces, have families serving them etc. I have no problem with that.

However I do believe there's a large number of people who do wear them to emphasise they are British and want to let the others know that. I mean I don't think its any great suprise that protestants in Northern Ireland probably have the highest rate for wearing them in the UK (that would be a guess, but I reckon its true).

Now don't get me wrong, I live in Omagh, and I witness all the Ash Wednesday bollox here, every what, march? And do I believe there are high number here who wear it to show they are a "catholic" and proudly "Irish" and get one over the other side, even though half of them aren't even bloody religious.

I stepped over the border once on Ash wednesday and saw a shocking decrease in marked heads when I left NI, guess the catholics in the south just don't care and haven't got this agenda to show the other side who they are. Micky mouse Northern Ireland tribalism at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Once you lower yourself to the standards of your enemy then you've already lost.

I would never expect a German soldier to apologise for ww1 or 2

Really? So you think we should celebrate the state and the army that invaded Poland, France and the rest?

At least you're being consistent.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Once you lower yourself to the standards of your enemy then you've already lost.

Yeah, good morals wins the war.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Nope, and I wouldn't wear an easter lily either.
    Not quite the same thing. The easter lily supports terrorism, the poppy commemorates those brave people who died not only in world wars, but in other legitimate conflicts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

It's not what it is about to me. It's what it is about, full stop. It commemorates all those who died in the British Army and honours those who continue to serve in it. According to their own website the money raised from poppies goes to "support the British Armed Forces past and present." Fuck that.
    Now I know other countries such as Canada have their own poppies but here it's different, here its for the British Armed forces and all their squalid little campaigns, not just WW1 and 2.

You don't seem to realise that all money collected from poppies in Ireland goes to support ex service men and women in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

katydid wrote: »
    the poppy commemorates those brave people who died not only in world wars, but in other legitimate conflicts.

And also in illegitimate conflicts.

• Advertisement

Not quite the same thing. The easter lily supports terrorism, the poppy commemorates those brave people who died not only in world wars, but in other legitimate conflicts.

Whats a "legitimate conflict? shooting some tribal lads armed with sticks and giving themselves medals for it?

You don't seem to realise that all money collected from poppies in Ireland goes to support ex service men and women in Ireland?

Why would that make any difference? It's not where somebody was born that's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatsthetime

old hippy wrote: »
    It's that time of year again where mass debates ensue over paper flowers, pensioners, prisoners of war, the struggle, lillies et al. I noticed the first advert this morning at the bus stop today.

Will you be sporting one?

Certainly not

And the relevance of posting that link is what exactly?

And the relevance of posting that link is what exactly?

...those links. It helps show the unreformed nature of the BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

Nice try knuckle dragger

...those links. It helps show the unreformed nature of the BA.
    Oh right the singing was an order?

Oh right the singing was an order?

It was an officially approved event.

Unlike the Germans, who were made confront the horror of their crimes, the British, like the rest of the colonial powers, have never had to. As a result the same mentality drags on in certain corners.

The Easter Lily is a badge worn at Easter by Irish republicans as symbol of remembrance for Irish republican combatants who died during or were executed after the 1916 Easter Rising. Depending on the political affiliations of the bearer, it can also commemorate members of the pre-Treaty Irish Republican Army, the post-Treaty Irish Republican Army, and either the Provisional IRA or the Official IRA. It may also be used to commemorate members of the Irish National Liberation Army.

Those men & women of 1916 who gave there lives are the real reason we have our freedom today,and IMO should be commerated by all people who live in this country.

• Advertisement

Really? So you think we should celebrate the state and the army that invaded Poland, France and the rest?

At least you're being consistent.

I would not expect them to celebrate.

When I wear a poppy it's not in celebration.

November 11th is not a day of celebration.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement