Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

old hippy wrote: »
    mass debate

tee hee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Ach, it always comes down to bloody sunday. You cannot judge all soldiers by one horrific case.

I dont need to, they did plenty of other horrific things here and in other countries. i was also using Bloody Sunday as a single example to a specific issue raised about wether or not certain soldiers are "monsters." It doesnt "always" come back to Bloody Sunday, it just happened to be an appropriate example in this case. But I suspect you knew that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So you support war criminals who occupy other peoples' lands, massacre them, maim them, kill their kids, and yet someone giving you a bit of stick for doing so is an idiot? :rolleyes:

Why not fundraise for those maimed by the British forces?

No, I support men who fight for their country, and I fundraise for charities who help rehabilitate war heroes who have been wounded and paralysed while on duty for their country.

Wearing a poppy isn't a remembrance for the people who caused and contributed to the crap that went on in Ireland. Horrible stuff happened to our families, too. I can understand why irish people would take offence, but that's generally when they're only thinking of that side of the story.

I do tend to think of small minded people who shout abuse at someone for wearing a badge they dont agree with as idiots, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Who supports war criminals? The ordinary Joe soldier is no different to you or I.

Come on Ireland, get over your petty hatreds :( I know you can do it.

Petty? Refusing to sponsor the veterans of Imperialism is not petty, its a matter of principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭paulbok

No, but i might just to piss some people off

Get one, keep it until Easter and then wear it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Id imagine some scummers hoping on someone if they wore one.

I have worn one very year for over 20 years i also wear one of these on a daily basis for the last 2 years

http://shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/products/Large_Wristband.html

Never had a word said to me, Maybe it's just because your feelings are (thankfully) only felt by a tiny minority these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

o1s1n wrote: »
    My great-great Grandfather also died in the first World War (I believe it was in France. Unfortunately there's not that much info).

It was actually during the closing stages of the war. My Great-great Grandmother was expecting him home, but got a letter instead.

The fact that he was fighting for the British army always left my family a bit confused as to how to handle it. Terribly sad situation alright. In the end it just came down to him providing for his family during very hard times.

+1, I had a Great-uncle who died in WW1, having been a POW in Germany. He was one of 11 children, mostly boys, so I think it was out of economic necessity that he joined the army.

Who supports war criminals? The ordinary Joe soldier is no different to you or I.

Ugh, such condescending rubbish. You should be more concerned with getting over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

ynwa14 wrote: »
    No, I support men who fight for their country, and I fundraise for charities who help rehabilitate war heroes who have been wounded and paralysed while on duty for their country.

Wearing a poppy isn't a remembrance for the people who caused and contributed to the crap that went on in Ireland. Horrible stuff happened to our families, too. I can understand why irish people would take offence, but that's generally when they're only thinking of that side of the story.

I do tend to think of small minded people who shout abuse at someone for wearing a badge they dont agree with as idiots, yes.

Fighting for their country? Grow up. :rolleyes: They are slaughtering innocent people on behalf of corporate interests.

War criminals, not war heroes.

bumper234 wrote: »
    I have worn one very year for over 20 years i also wear one of these on a daily basis for the last 2 years

http://shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/products/Large_Wristband.html

Never had a word said to me, Maybe it's just because your feelings is (thankfully) only felt by a tiny minority these days.

Id say it's more because most people just roll their eyes at you and ignore it.

• Advertisement

Fighting for their country? Grow up. :rolleyes: They are slaughtering innocent people on behalf of corporate interests.

War criminals, not war heroes.

With all due respect, someone who seems to be generalising that everyone who enlists in the british army is a war criminal is telling ME to grow up? Good stuff. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

get over your petty hatreds

Murderous imperialism should not just be hated but resisted and fought against with dogged determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Look at the insults and threats that were directed at Jon Snow and James McClean over the last few years for their stance on not wearing one. Ridiculous IMO. If a person does or does not want to wear one, it should be their business.

Some of the comments on McClean twitter account last year were disgraceful.

Jon Snow deserves credit for bucking the trend in the British media and not wearing one in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

I shall not be wearing a poppy. I can't remember the last time I wore any symbol supporting or against anything.

I have a relative who was killed in the First World War who's grave I will visit in 2015 on the one hundredth anniversary of his death.

I have visited the graves of other relatives who fought or died in this country.

Do I support their causes. I don't know. I never got the opportunity to speak to them and hear first hand their motivation.

Why do I visit them. Interest in history, geneology and respect for kin.

Aden, Kenya, Uganda, Burma, India, Egypt, Sudan, Iraq.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I will be wearing one like every other year. I live in Northern Ireland though so loads of people DO wear them and I certainly won't stand out, unlike perhaps down south.

Haven't really noticed many on the street yet to be honest but normally start to see them everywhere from end of October/start of November.

There may be the odd incident but really I don't think most people really care if you wear one or not.

With all due respect, someone who seems to be generalising that everyone who enlists in the british army is a war criminal is telling ME to grow up? Good stuff. :cool:

Well you're hardly fundraising for injuries picked up by them standing on thumb tacks while in their barracks at home. :rolleyes:

Well you're hardly fundraising for injuries picked up by them standing on thumb tacks while in their barracks at home. :rolleyes:

One of these lads might have cut himself while chopping off the Kenyan lads ear....
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/94607680/David-Anderson-Huw-Bennett-Daniel-Branch-2006-A-Very-British-Massacre-History-Today-August-2006

Nodin wrote: »
    Aden, Kenya, Uganda, Burma, India, Egypt, Sudan, Iraq.....

I'm talking about Irish peoples obsession with screwing on everyone in the country who chooses to wear one because of how they feel affected by what the british army did to them.

But thank you for listing a bunch of countries where the british army invaded and killed absolutely every inhabitant ever, countries that had no army and were at absolutely no fault, because these were all totally one sided wars and no british person was affected AT ALL. No, we all actually rejoiced and had a tea party while we waited for news every night of... WAIT, OUR OWN FAMILY MEMBERS BEING KILLED? Wait, what?! The british suffer too? They arent just factory made killing machines?

"But they're heroes!"

"Fighting for their country!"

"Feeding their families!"

(Something about X-Factor, blah, blah)....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

1. Comfy Chair
    2. Beer
    3. Take Away Menu
    4. Phone
    5. More Beer
    6. Portable Toilet

Right let’s all watch Breaking Bad again from the beginning

I'm talking about Irish peoples obsession with screwing on everyone in the country who chooses to wear one because of how they feel affected by what the british army did to them.

But thank you for listing a bunch of countries where the british army invaded and killed absolutely every inhabitant ever, countries that had no army and were at absolutely no fault, because these were all totally one sided wars and no british person was affected AT ALL. No, we all actually rejoiced and had a tea party while we waited for news every night of... WAIT, OUR OWN FAMILY MEMBERS BEING KILLED? Wait, what?! The british suffer too? They arent just factory made killing machines?

You mean Kenya declared war on Britian and Britain was forced to defend itself by colonising it, driving the black folk off the best land, give it to white settlers, and force Africans to sell their crops at a fixed tariff so they couldn't compete with white settlers?

O - the horror. Poor British Army, forced to rob blind countries from men armed with sticks.

So if you're in your house minding your own business, and someone breaks in, tries to rob everything and kill your family, but shoots themselves by accident or you injure them defending your family and home, we should all get together and help them out?

Seriously? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fingal raven

Simple answer YES, if you don't want to wear one don't, but stop moaning about those that do.

You mean Kenya declared war on Britian and Britain was forced to defend itself by colonising it, driving the black folk off the best land, give it to white settlers, and force Africans to sell their crops at a fixed tariff so they couldn't compete with white settlers?

O - the horror. Poor British Army, forced to rob blind countries from men armed with sticks.

I'm just going to smile smugly and exit the thread, because clearly this seems to be a touchy subject. How dare someone from a British millitary background NOT hate their own country, eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I wonder if we'll be seeing any more of the 'Poppy Fascism' over on the other side of the water this year. It is very 'thought policeish' now.

If you want to wear one, fine nobody should give you any hassle over it.
    If you don't want to wear one, fine nobody should give you any hassle over it too.

It's just a few bits of red paper mache after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Rubeter

So if you're in your house minding your own business, and someone breaks in, tries to rob everything and kill your family, but shoots themselves by accident or you injure them defending your family and home, we should all get together and help them out?

Seriously? :rolleyes:
    Not only that, but be told to "get over yourselves" by the robbers family because you don't want to.

I'm just going to smile smugly and exit the thread, because clearly this seems to be a touchy subject. How dare someone from a British millitary background NOT hate their own country, eh? :D

.....it's possible to be British and reject Imperialism, you know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Sure British soldiers got hurt in those wars, but the British state had no reason other than the persute of an imperial project to get involved in them in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Yea, that's not patronizing at all.
    Wouldn't call the multitude of murders that the BA was involved in in Ireland 'petty' either.
    Shame on you Old Hippy for not knowing better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement