Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

The thing is that the wounds are still pretty fresh from the troubles and the hypocrisy of the British Army over what they got up to during it means its not so easily forgiven- look at katy labeling one side as indiscriminately terrorists for instance forgetting that collusion was more common with the BA than with the RUC as well as the regular use of torture.

Also we are discussing the Poppy- the Poppy is a British thing, not a French or a Spanish one. You could easily be accused of whataboutery no?

While Im uncomfortable with it I can respect people wearing it in Britain- it doesnt have a place in Ireland.

I was born in Britain I served in the British army I have lived, and worked in Ireland most of my life. My Grandparents fought in both world wars. Why shouldn't I wear a poppy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

COYW wrote: »
    I am not aware of such a conflict which involved British troops.

Lessee Kenya, Burma, South Africa, Iraq (seven times), Persia/Iran, Egypt, Ottoman Empire (WW1 battles against the Ottomans were largely fought to see who would get the spoils), China, New Zealand (the British cheated the Maoris out of their sovreignty {by deliberatly mistranslating the word in treaty documents English language docs showing sovreignty being transferred to the UK, while Maori ones showing sovreignty remaining in their own hands}, and when the Maoris rightfully rose up the British did their best to exterminate the Maori population).

The UK has a long and to their minds glorious tradition of killing non-whites in the name of Jingo.

Nodin wrote: »
    ........when they come looking for cash for their veterans, I will.

When was the last time someone in Ireland asked you to buy a poppy?

When was the last time in Ireland someone asked you to buy an Easter lily?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

bumper234 wrote: »
    I was born in Britain I served in the British army I have lived, and worked in Ireland most of my life. My Grandparents fought in both world wars. Why shouldn't I wear a poppy?

You can if you so desire, why are you on here defending your (or others) position?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

I think maybe you should read a book on Irish history.

By the way Im proud of Grandfather's record in World War II in the British Army.

• Advertisement

Lessee Kenya, Burma, South Africa, Iraq (seven times), Persia/Iran, Egypt, Ottoman Empire (WW1 battles against the Ottomans were largely fought to see who would get the spoils), China, New Zealand (the British cheated the Maoris out of their sovreignty {by deliberatly mistranslating the word in treaty documents English language docs showing sovreignty being transferred to the UK, while Maori ones showing sovreignty remaining in their own hands}, and when the Maoris rightfully rose up the British did their best to exterminate the Maori population).

The UK has a long and to their minds glorious tradition of killing non-whites in the name of Jingo.

America has done (and is still doing) the same thing.....will you be starting a thread calling for their memorial day to be cancelled?

You can if you so desire, why are you on here defending your (or others) position?

I am defending my right to wear a poppy no.more no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

America has done (and is still doing) the same thing.....will you be starting a thread calling for their memorial day to be cancelled?
    If it were celebrated in Ireland, maybe. You're not getting this are you?

I think maybe you should read a book on Irish history.

By the way Im proud of Grandfather's record in World War II in the British Army.

I went to school in Ireland I know it's history.

Uh Memorial Day in Britain and wearing a Poppy in Ireland are too different issues.

I have massive problems with Memorial Day but I do think there should be something to remember Britain's war dead.

• Advertisement

I went to school in Ireland I know it's history.

What part of Ireland?

If you went to school in the 26 counties and still ended up joining the British Army either you mitched off a lot of history classes or you could easily be described as a traitor to your country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Buzz84 wrote: »

I have no sympathy for the idiots who go of to fight in pointless wars like Iraq or Afghanistan.

How would you feel if (God forbid) Irish soldiers were killed or injured in Afghanistan, Syria or Lebanon?

What part of Ireland?

If you went to school in the 26 counties and still ended up joining the British Army either you mitched off a lot of history classes or you could easily be described as a traitor to your country.

I went to school in Dublin.

I was born in Britain (lived their till I was 10)

How does this make me a "traitor"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

So, your wearing of a poppy could be cynically seen as promoting oneself?

Self-praise is no recommendation.

I went to school in Dublin.

I was born in Britain (lived their till I was 10)

How does this make me a "traitor"?

Why on earth would you be prepared to kill and die, to maim and be maimed, for a country that is not your own?

Uh Memorial Day in Britain and wearing a Poppy in Ireland are too different issues.

I have massive problems with Memorial Day but I do think there should be something to remember Britain's war dead.

There is something.....it's called a POPPY! :ROLLEYES:

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    So, your wearing of a poppy could be cynically seen as promoting oneself?

Self-praise is no recommendation.

Or it could be for the reason that I have stated many times.....to honour my Grandparents and their generation who fought in both world wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

I would be disappointed if you didn't.
    Context is everything, unless you're an armchair republican with the full catalogue of the Wolfe Tones to prove your credentials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭theblaqueguy

No I won't be wearing one
    Id rather wear a hat filled with sh1t

Why on earth would you be prepared to kill and die, to maim and be maimed, for a country that is not your own?

Adventure and adrenaline or the money

• Advertisement

I am British, I hold a British passport, I was born there.....why do you think it's not my country? If your country went to war tomorrow would you be willing to fight and die?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

There is something.....it's called a POPPY! :ROLLEYES:

So do you think its acceptable to wear a poppy commemorating the British Armed Forces in Dublin,the same armed forces whose members colluded with and indeed were actively involved in the bombing of that same city in May 1974???

I am British, I hold a British passport, I was born there.....why do you think it's not my country? If your country went to war tomorrow would you be willing to fight and die?

I know hundreds of British people and only a handful feel the need to fight and die (mainly fight, they don't like the dying bit). The UK is not and has not been under attack yet hundreds die fighting :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Or it could be for the reason that I have stated many times.....to honour my Grandparents and their generation who fought in both world wars.
    And yourself by extension, since you also served in the BA. Plus it is you and your generation that are more likely to benefit from RBL fundraising since most WW veterans have passed away.

I know hundreds of British people and only a handful feel the need to fight and die (mainly fight, they don't like the dying bit). The UK is not and has not been under attack yet hundreds die fighting :confused:

You can say the same about every European country. What is your point?

No one is attacking Ireland, yet hundreds of Irish men and woman are prepared to put on a uniform and go to conflict zones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Boring thread is boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭whats the point

I am defending my right to wear a poppy no.more no less.

What would you say if I was defending my right to wear a swastika?

What would you say if I was defending my right to wear a swastika?

That you're a Nazi?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatsthetime

Am not saying it's ok but if you are going to judge every British soldier (past present and probably future) over something that happened years ago then you should in all fairness judge the soldiers from ALL countries that have held empire status over the years.

What has the poppy got to do with any army other than the british?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭whats the point

That you're a Nazi.

I want to remember the men,women and children who fought in the "great war" who fought for Germany.

What is the difference?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement