Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

What would you say if I was defending my right to wear a swastika?

That you are Sean Russell.....

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

That you're a Nazi.

So going by your logic,anyone who wears a poppy is supporting and commemorating the British Armed Forces and all its actions,including mass murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I want to remember the men,women and children who fought in the "great war" who fought for Germany.

What is the difference?

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatsthetime

bumper234 wrote: »
    I went to school in Ireland I know it's history.

Traitor

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No one is attacking Ireland, yet hundreds of Irish men and woman are prepared to put on a uniform and go to conflict zones.

That they doing it for something else other than their country is being attacked. That something else is likely to be adventure or adrenaline or the money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭whats the point

Oh dear.

Instead of saying Oh dear, explain it to me if you can please.

Hammar wrote: »
    So going by your logic,anyone who wears a poppy is supporting and commemorating the British Armed Forces and all its actions,including mass murder.

Life is rarely black and white.

The swastika, since the Nazis hijacked it, is a symbol of a political Belief. The poppy is not.

I'm proud to support serving and retired British soldiers and I am also willing to condemn those that brought shame to their country as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Traitor

We don't know if bumper234 has Irish or British citizenship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭whats the point

The swastika, since the Nazis hijacked it, is a symbol of a political Belief. The poppy is not.

I'm proud to support serving and retired British soldiers and I am also willing to condemn those that brought shame to their country as well.

As long as it's not your country right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

katydid wrote: »
    The "lads" of 1916 didn't deliberately go out and target civilians.

Sure about that?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

The Poppy is not in Britain kind of- plenty of people of Britain who are FAR from being jingoistic or Imperialist or Tory or whatever wear a Poppy. Though in over the last decade or so someone could argue that it has changed.

But Ireland in both parts is different from the mainland of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

moxin wrote: »
    And the poppy has been hijacked within Ireland by Unionism to show you are a Unionist supporter and loyal to you know who.

In Britain itself, the poppy wearers don't care about the Unionists in NI just like they don't want to be associated with Orange marches. They wear it mainly for supporting Britain's wars. This disconnect is lost on Unionists.

No they dont.

The poppy is a symbol of a political belief in Ireland both north and south as it signifies support for serving and retired British soldiers,many of whom were engaged in the murdering of Irish men,women and children. You don't get to pick and choose which soldiers you get to remember,and say you don't support those who killed innocent men women and children on this island but support the others. If you wear a poppy, you are signifying that you support that organisation which undertook those activities,so don't be suprised when Irish people don't like shows of support for an organisation which murdered its citizens.
    Cue the whatabout the Provos responses from the drones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Boring thread is boring.

Usual boring annual thread of whataboutery. You wonder why the same people bother posting the same stuff over and over again, you only live life once, why bother to waste so many hours of your life posting through the same pages of **** and never get anywhere with it? I mean arguing with another person will never change that said persons opinion. They're either pro-British or pro-Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    No they dont.

Great reply, you can't expand your point little bit more? :rolleyes:

We're talking about the red poppy which supports Britain's armed forces, wearing one means you support the armys wars. If you don't support the wars. wear a white poppy.

The poppy is a symbol of a political belief in Ireland both north and south as it signifies support for serving and retired British soldiers,many of whom were engaged in the murdering of Irish men,women and children. You don't get to pick and choose which soldiers you get to remember,and say you don't support those who killed innocent men women and children on this island but support the others. If you wear a poppy, you are signifying that you support that organisation which undertook those activities,so don't be suprised when Irish people don't like shows of support for an organisation which murdered its citizens.
    Cue the whatabout the Provos responses from the drones.

Not what about the provos, what about you.

Do you wear an Easter Lilly?

moxin wrote: »
    Great reply, you can't expand your point little bit more? :rolleyes:

We're talking about the red poppy which supports Britain's armed forces, wearing one means you support the armys wars. If you don't support the wars. wear a white poppy.

They dont honestly- well not all of them. Some do.

Not what about the provos, what about you.

Do you wear an Easter Lilly?

No, why would I wear an Easter lilly?
    Do you think it would be acceptable to wear an Easter lilly in Warrington,Around Birmingham,Brighton and other areas which the IRA murdered people in etc????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

.....again, the notion of the "few bad apples".

No, why would I wear an Easter lilly?
    Do you think it would be acceptable to wear an Easter lilly in Warrington,Around Birmingham,Brighton and other areas which the IRA murdered people in etc????

You'd be surprised actually.

I ask though because someone who wears an Easter Lilly is in no position to criticise.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    .....again, the notion of the "few bad apples".

Hi hypocrit.

Care to condemn the Warrington, Birmingham and le Mon restaurant bombings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

I ask though because someone who wears an Easter Lilly is in no position to criticise.

Why not?

You'd be surprised actually.

So you keep saying, despite the fact that this puts a fight for independence/a struggle against sectarianism on the same level as Imperialism and the preservation of a racist status quo.

Hi hypocrit.

Care to condemn the Warrington, Birmingham and le Mon restaurant bombings?

"But what about....."

So you keep saying, despite the fact that this puts a fight for independence/a struggle against sectarianism on the same level as Imperialism and the preservation of a racist status quo.

Tell me, in what way was Tim Parry imperialist or seeking to preserve the status quo?

Blowing up working class teenagers out for a pint is hardly fighting Imperialism in the case of the Birmingham bombing.

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Why not?

Because the Easter Lilly helps fund memorials to people who carried out cold blooded murder and sought to over throw the government of Ireland.

Tell me, in what way was Tim Parry imperialist or seeking to preserve the status quo?

....I wasn't aware he was anything to do with either. What's that to do with anything Fred? Other than "what about....."/"Look!!!!!!!!!Over There!!!!!!!!!"/"Gerry Adams has a BEARD!!!!!!!"

....I wasn't aware he was anything to do with either

Really? Then why are his murderers considered heroes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Because the Easter Lilly helps fund memorials to people who carried out cold blooded murder and sought to over throw the government of Ireland.

Sure, that was just a few bad apples Fred.

Am I not allowed commemerate my grandfather who fought in 1916 and along with his two brothers in the War of Independence?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement