Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Because the Easter Lilly helps fund memorials to people who carried out cold blooded murder and sought to over throw the government of Ireland.

They didnt though- they issued a ban on that sometime in the 50s before the Border Campaign. Particularly after the northern leadership sidelined Ruari O'Bradaigh and his people in the early 80s they had absolutely no interest in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Really? Then why are his murderers considered heroes?

Is this going somewhere Fred, other than the aforementioned "what about..."

Or are you going to reveal why the people who invaded Kenya, Uganda etc and treated the people there as sub-human as a matter of policy are worth buying a poppy for, but those who did that to the Poles are regarded as monsters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I will wear one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Sure, that was just a few bad apples Fred.

Am I not allowed commemerate my grandfather who fought in 1916 and along with his two brothers in the War of Independence?

But buying an Easter Lilly also shows support for Sean Russell, who conspired with the Nazis to invade Ireland.

Here's an idea. You wear your Easter Lilly and I'll respect your right to wear it and I'll wear my poppy and you respect my right to wear it

How does that sound.

LordSutch wrote: »

Now when we charged that morning with a great and mighty yell
    Right through the German trenches how far I cannot tell
    I prepared myself for heaven but I marched right into hell
    Along with the Armagh Brigade

I hear the booming thunder and the stutter of the guns
    I hear the angry screaming of Ulsters fallen sons
    In this bloody slaughterhouse of the Battle of the Somme
    Im dyin' with the Armagh Brigade

For Ulster is my heritage and Ulster is my cause
    I laugh at her futility her glory is a fraud
    But im bleeding heavily and I must go to God
    Im leavin' the Armagh Brigade

Billy Gray, Billy Gray will you not come to me
    I'm far away from my home my wife and family
    Will you come and speak some comfort and be a friend to me
    If your not dead yet Billy Gray

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

bumper234 wrote: »
    Except of course for the 50,000 Irish soldiers who fought in the great wars.

Well it was actually 200.000 Irish men who went off to fight the Germans in the Great War (great meaning big), and fifty thousand of them never came back! Think Aviva stadium/Lansdowne Road filled to capacity, > that's how many young Irish soldiers died in the great war . . . . scary.
    There is nothing great about World War 1

Indeed (it was only great in size), a disgusting and wretched war which introduced mass slaughter on a grand scale, courtesy of deranged & stupid generals + the advent of the machine gun + gassing + giant land mines + disease, and all manner of horrible ways to die on the poppy fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Nodin wrote: »
    Is this going somewhere Fred, other than the aforementioned "what about..."

Or are you going to reveal why the people who invaded Kenya, Uganda etc and treated the people there as sub-human as a matter of policy are worth buying a poppy for, but those who did that to the Poles are regarded as monsters?

Care to tell me why bombing a McDonald's on a Saturday lunch time is ok? Or why a man who conspired with the Nazis to invade Ireland should be considered a hero?

Care to condemn the people who used napalm to torch a restaurant?

No?

Hypocrite.

Well it was actually 200.000 Irish men who went off to fight the Germans in the Great War (great meaning big), and fifty thousand of them never came back! Think Aviva stadium/Lansdowne Road filled to capacity, > that's how many young Irish soldiers died in the great war . . . . scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Its truly pathetic that this topic has turned into some pile of drivel about terrorism. The OP asked if anyone was going to wear a poppy.

I really think some people need to grow up, its cringeworthy some of the utter crap thats being posted in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

But buying an Easter Lilly also shows support for Sean Russell, who conspired with the Nazis to invade Ireland.

Sean Russell died in 1940, long before the worst excesses of nazism began. He went to Germany to procure arms for the IRA not to lead a Nazi invasion as you erroneously claim. If you have any sources to back up your oft repeated Nazi invasion hypothesis I would love to read them. If not, would you mind refraining from using this rather cheap Daily Mail style smear tactic
    Here's an idea. You wear your Easter Lilly and I'll respect your right to wear it and I'll wear my poppy and you respect my right to wear it

How does that sound.

That sounds just dandy,
    Thing is I don't feel the need to wear any kind of symbol to publicly display what I think, I just wanted to illustrate the hypocrisy of your rhetoric.

P.S. the bit about my grandfather and grand uncles was true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Care to tell me why bombing a McDonald's on a Saturday lunch time is ok? Or why a man who conspired with the Nazis to invade Ireland should be considered a hero?

Care to condemn the people who used napalm to torch a restaurant?

No?

Hypocrite.

Care to tell me why those soldiers who murdered and colluded in the murders of 12 year old Majella O Hare in Armagh,Fr Hugh Mullan in Ballymurphy or Anne Marren from Sligo are remembered for their "service for queen and country"???
    Why should an Irish man or woman respect someone who supports these individuals?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Hammar wrote: »
    Care to tell me why those soldiers who murdered and colluded in the murders of 12 year old Majella O Hare in Armagh,Fr Hugh Mullan in Ballymurphy or Anne Marren from Sligo are remembered for their "service for queen and country"???
    Why should an Irish man or woman respect someone who supports these individuals?

I respect respect any fellow Irishman who does so. The British army is a fantastic force, full of amazing heros and many Irish men were heroic to go and fight with them. So put that in your bong and smoke it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Piliger wrote: »
    The British army is a fantastic force, full of amazing heros.

You seem to have mixed them up with Marvel's Avengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Piliger wrote: »
    I respect respect any fellow Irishman who does so. The British army is a fantastic force, full of amazing heros and many Irish men were heroic to go and fight with them. So put that in your bong and smoke it.

Heroes like 1 Para on Bloody Sunday and in Ballymurphy in August 1971.
    You're more than welcome to believe that they and their ilk are amazing heroes.
    The majority of irishmen and women however know differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Hammar wrote: »
    Heroes like 1 Para on Bloody Sunday and in Ballymurphy in August 1971.
    You're more than welcome to believe that they and their ilk are amazing heroes.
    The majority of irishmen and women however know differently.

No they don't - they agree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

What about a pink poppy?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Sure, that was just a few bad apples Fred.

Am I not allowed commemerate my grandfather who fought in 1916 and along with his two brothers in the War of Independence?
    You're free to commemorate who ever you want. Just be aware one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

What would you say if I was defending my right to wear a swastika?

Lets meet tomorrow.

I will wear my poppy you can wear your swastika, we will both stand outside the GPO (the center of the 1916 uprising) and see who gets more dirty looks, comments made towards them. If any one asks why I am wearing a poppy I will explain about my grandparents fighting in WW1 and 2 and you can explain how you're remembering the fallen German soldiers.

Deal?

Traitor

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

They made their own decisions to go fight on behalf of the country that was occupying Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭whats the point

Lets meet tomorrow.

I will wear my poppy you can wear your swastika, we will both stand outside the GPO (the center of the 1916 uprising) and see who gets more dirty looks, comments made towards them. If any one asks why I am wearing a poppy I will explain about my grandparents fighting in WW1 and 2 and you can explain how you're remembering the fallen German soldiers.

Deal?

Deal, because according to a few posters on here we helped conspire with the NAZI'S in WW2 anyway.

Will you explain to people that the money raised doesn't just go to the veteran's of WW1 and Ww2, it also goes members of the BA, who colluded with the loyalist death squads who murdered Irish people for fun?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Squirtle McTurtle

Does anyone in Ireland ever wear one?
    Yeah a sizeable amount of people wear it in the North eastern corner of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Yeah a sizeable amount of people wear it in the North eastern corner of Ireland

Do they pin the poppy straight onto their lovely sash or maybe they can get sticky on ones?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Squirtle McTurtle

wazky wrote: »
    Do they pin the poppy straight onto their lovely sash or maybe they can get sticky on ones?
    They're not all sash wearers either.

Deal, because according to a few posters on here we helped conspire with the NAZI'S in WW2 anyway.

Will you explain to people that the money raised doesn't just go to the veteran's of WW1 and Ww2, it also goes members of the BA, who colluded with the loyalist death squads who murdered Irish people for fun?

No but I will explain how ANY money raised from poppy sales in Ireland goes to the people of Ireland who fought for the British army.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    They made their own decisions to go fight on behalf of the country that was occupying Ireland.

And people have the audacity to tell me to read a history book :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

No but I will explain how ANY money raised from poppy sales in Ireland goes to the people of Ireland who fought for the British army.

Sure what use it to them now, they are all dead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Well don't forget to leave about the bit about
    it also goes members of the BA, who colluded with the loyalist death squads who murdered Irish people for fun

It's only right that you'd be telling the full truth y'know.

wazky wrote: »
    Sure what use it to them now, they are all dead?

Evidence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement