Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Well don't forget to leave about the bit about

It's only right that you'd be telling the full truth y'know.

Yawn

Yeah ok and you will explain how your (terrorist) heroes colluded with the Nazis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

bumper234 wrote: »
    Yawn

Yeah ok and you will explain how your (terrorist) heroes colluded with the Nazis.

Excuse me troll?
    My heroes?

I'll give you 50 Englerlish pounds if you can find one post in this thread where I've said anything of that kind.

lol at your lameness :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Excuse me troll?
    My heroes?

I'll give you 50 Englerlish pounds if you can find one post in this thread where I've said anything of that kind.

Its a known fact that if you dislike the BA your a full on frothing at the mouth provo lover.

Who said the money only goes to world war 1 veterans?

wazky wrote: »
    Its a known fact that if you dislike the BA your a full on frothing at the mouth provo lover.

Is that so?
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Excuse me troll?
    My heroes?

Ah so unsubstantiated claims are only to be used by you? Ok;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Couldn't anyone find the thread for 'Will you wear a poppy 2012/11/10/09........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And people have the audacity to tell me to read a history book :rolleyes:

My statement was 100% correct.

Feel free to point out which part you think isn't.

Who said the money only goes to world war 1 veterans?

Nobody, but they were the last Irish men who fought for the empire while Ireland was still a part of it.
    I've no problem honouring them, or any that have fallen. The poppy does not honour them though, it used to. But now it's a symbol to support all the troops, that's well known. And I do have a problem with supporting recent BA atrocities. By wearing the poppy you fully show your support for all the wrongs the BA has carried out.
    If it was just about the WWI or WWII fallen the vast majority of people who have a problem with it wouldn't.

Also:
    In 2011 it was revealed that Kleshna, one of two businesses selling its own poppies on the RBL website, gives only 10% of its sales to charity.
    British Prime Minister David Cameron rejected a request from Chinese officials to remove his poppy during his visit to Beijing on Remembrance Day 2010. The poppy was deemed offensive because of its associations with the Anglo-Chinese Opium Wars in the 19th century, after which the Qing Dynasty was forced to tolerate the British opium trade in China and to cede Hong Kong to the UK

Both from wikipedia
    What he meant was that all kinds of people who had no idea of the suffering of the Great War – or the Second, for that matter – were now ostentatiously wearing a poppy for social or work-related reasons, to look patriotic and British when it suited them, to keep in with their friends and betters and employers. These people, he said to me once, had no idea what the trenches of France were like, what it felt like to have your friends die beside you and then to confront their brothers and wives and lovers and parents.
    But now I see these pathetic creatures with their little sand-pit poppies – I notice that our masters in the House of Commons do the same – and I despise them. Heaven be thanked that the soldiers of the Great War cannot return today to discover how their sacrifice has been turned into a fashion appendage.

Both from a Robert Fisk article

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Zebra3 wrote: »
    They made their own decisions to go fight on behalf of the country that was occupying Ireland.

And very brave they were, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

old hippy wrote: »
    And very brave they were, too.

I don't think accepting cash (the shilling) for killing is what could be deemed as brave. That line of thinking is cock-eyed.

Nobody, but they were the last Irish men who fought for the empire while Ireland was still a part of it.
    I've no problem honouring them, or any that have fallen. The poppy does not honour them though, it used to. But now it's a symbol to support all the troops, that's well known. And I do have a problem with supporting recent BA atrocities. By wearing the poppy you fully show your support for all the wrongs the BA has carried out.
    If it was just about the WWI or WWII fallen the vast majority of people who have a problem with it wouldn't.

Also:

Both from wikipedia

Both from a Robert Fisk article

And by wearing an easter lily irish people are supporting terrorist atrocities such as Birmingham, Warrington and Omagh if we go with your analysis.

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    I don't think accepting cash (the shilling) for killing is what could be deemed as brave. That line of thinking is cock-eyed.

No, your brand of archaic pettiness is cock eyed. A whole generation went out there and many met their deaths. Then they had to come back and face your sentiment.

As I've stated earlier, I don't wear the poppy but I'm not ignorant enough to ignore the sacrifice involved in the 2 wars.

And by wearing an easter lily irish people are supporting terrorist atrocities such as Birmingham, Warrington and Omagh if we go with your analysis.

Much like the poppy, it has taken on other roles/symbols.
    It began as a
    as symbol of remembrance for Irish republican combatants who died during or were executed after the 1916 Easter Rising

I would certainly have no problem with that.

However, because of it's use by the likes of Sinn Fein & other pro-IRA/INLA factions I would certainly not wear an Easter Lily either.

WilyCoyote wrote: »

So EVERY Irish person who ever went to the UK should be vilified for making that decision? Or is it ok to go to the UK and help build roads, canals, towns and cities. Is it ok to work as a nurse a doctor or police officer? What about the people who have worked in England all their life (a few posting in this thread I would bet) who paid their taxes to the UK governments and therefore helping to bankroll this disgraceful empire and pay the wages of these soldiers? Oh I can hear the wails of despair now and the wringing of hands as they try to explain how the poor Irishman HAD to go to the UK and work but they weren't killing anyone so it's ok that they paid their taxes to the UK government.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

Much like the poppy, it has taken on other roles/symbols.
    It began as a

I would certainly have no problem with that.

However, because of it's use by the likes of Sinn Fein & other pro-IRA/INLA factions I would certainly not wear an Easter Lily either.
    But the 1916 rising was a sinn fein rising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

No it most certainly was not.
    Time to learn some Irish history.

No it most certainly was not.
    Time to learn some Irish history.
    away and learn it then

away and learn it then

Once again you are caught up in your own lack of knowledge of Irish History.
    Again the 1916 rising was not a Sinn Fein rising, do a little basic research.
    FFS even the Shinners don't claim it was.

away and learn it then

The Easter Rising (Irish: Éirí Amach na Cásca),[1] also known as the Easter Rebellion and referred to erroneously in some contemporary British reports as the Sinn Féin Rebellion,[2] was an armed insurrection staged in Ireland during Easter Week, 1916. The Rising was mounted by Irish republicans with the aims of ending British rule in Ireland and establishing an independent Irish Republic at a time when the United Kingdom was heavily engaged in World War I. It was the most significant uprising in Ireland since the rebellion of 1798.[3]
    Organised by seven members of the Military Council of the Irish Republican Brotherhood,[4] the Rising began on Easter Monday, 24 April 1916, and lasted for six days. Members of the Irish Volunteers — led by schoolteacher and barrister Patrick Pearse, joined by the smaller Irish Citizen Army of James Connolly, along with 200 members of Cumann na mBan — seized key locations in Dublin and proclaimed the Irish Republic independent of the United Kingdom. There were some actions in other parts of Ireland: however, except for the attack on the Royal Irish Constabulary barracks at Ashbourne, County Meath, they were minor.
    The Rising was suppressed after six days of fighting, and its leaders were court-martialled and executed, but it succeeded in bringing physical force republicanism back to the forefront of Irish politics. Support for republicanism continued to rise in Ireland as a result of the ongoing war in Europe and the Middle East, especially as a result of the Conscription Crisis of 1918. Revolutions across Europe further emboldened Irish revolutionaries. In December 1918, republicans (then represented by the Sinn Féin party) won 73 Irish seats out of 105 in the 1918 General Election to the British Parliament, on a policy of abstentionism and Irish independence. They convened the First Dáil and declared the independence of the Irish Republic, and later that same day the Irish War of Independence began with the Soloheadbeg

From Wiki

• Advertisement

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

So EVERY Irish person who ever went to the UK should be vilified for making that decision?
    No, economic migration is OK (I'm one myself), but they shouldn't they be fêted as heroes if they return. Which is a major point of wearing a poppy in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

old hippy wrote: »
    As I've stated earlier, I don't wear the poppy but I'm not ignorant enough to ignore the sacrifice involved in the 2 wars.

The trouble a lot of people have with the poppy is that it commemorates every British soldier in every war, no matter how dodgy that war was. E.g. the soldiers that worked at the first ever concentration camps in South Africa during the Boer War where 25,000 Boer civilans died, mostly women and children.

I never minded genuine people wearing poppies in the past, but in the last decade its been used as a jingoistic symbol of support for the Brits fighting (and losing) two bullshlt wars.

The Irish state should have its own all inclusive commerative symbol for war dead, the same as our national day of rememberance.

Personally , I don't see the point of all this public display of commemorative symbols

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    No, economic migration is OK (I'm one myself), but they shouldn't they be fêted as heroes if they return. Which is a major point of wearing a poppy in Ireland.

Erm....the poppy is a symbol that is used to remember the ones who didn't return.

Once again you are caught up in your own lack of knowledge of Irish History.
    Again the 1916 rising was not a Sinn Fein rising, do a little basic research.
    FFS even the Shinners don't claim it was.
    learn whos version of history, the free states?

Gee Bag wrote: »
    The trouble a lot of people have with the poppy is that it commemorates every British soldier in every war, no matter how dodgy that war was. E.g. the soldiers that worked at the first ever concentration camps in South Africa during the Boer War where 25,000 Boer civilans died, mostly women and children.

I never minded genuine people wearing poppies in the past, but in the last decade its been used as a jingoistic symbol of support for the Brits fighting (and losing) two bullshlt wars.

The Irish state should have its own all inclusive commerative symbol for war dead, the same as our national day of rememberance.

Personally , I don't see the point of all this public display of commemorative symbols

I completely agree with the above post. I have no time for the jingoism or remembering the atrocities as some kind of glorious act.

What "free states" are you on about? Gah, I just loathe it when people refer to the Republic as the "free state".

Erm....the poppy is a symbol that is used to remember the ones who didn't return.

Nope.

This:
    Gee Bag wrote: »

+1

Any version you like.
    But you will not find any version that accepts that SF had any hand act or part in the 1916 rising.
    Basically you need to try looking up real facts and stop depending on the words of Wolfe Tones songs for your education.
    Hilarious thing is that apart from the ignorant and ill informed brits of 1916 you are the only one who actually thinks that it was a SF rising, you keep great company:P

• Advertisement

Nope.

This:

+1

The poppy is still a remembrance symbol of the soldiers who died thought!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement