Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

bumper234 wrote: »
    Erm....the poppy is a symbol that is used to remember the ones who didn't return.
    AND......what/who does it fund? The Royal British Legion have copyright on remembrance it seems.

I don't need to wear a tacky plastic/paper flower to remember anyone, or donate to the RBL coffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Why would I?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

old hippy wrote: »
    What "free states" are you on about? Gah, I just loathe it when people refer to the Republic as the "free state".
    so a 26 county state which has lost its sovereignty is the Irish republic now..Mmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

so a 26 county state which has lost its sovereignty is the Irish republic now..Mmm

Has been since 1949

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

MMM, it's the Republic of Ireland. Our nation. Where have you been all these years?

I don't do the whole pride/uberpat/I'm more Irish than you bobbins but when I hear people refer to our Republic as "free state" or us as "free staters"... I tend to think of them as .... well, traitors :D

• Advertisement

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Has been since 1949
    quasi republic

quasi republic

Treasonous poison. If you don't like the Republic, you don't have to stay there, you know?

Why do you hate Ireland so much? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    AND......what/who does it fund? The Royal British Legion have copyright on remembrance it seems.

I don't need to wear a tacky plastic/paper flower to remember anyone, or donate to the RBL coffers.

Oh my.

The money collected for poppy sales in Ireland goes to the families of Irish people who served. Ironically the money that Irish people pay in taxes to the UK government when they work in the UK goes to fund the British army and helps to pay for the ongoing wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

quasi republic

Do we have a part time monarch I've never heard of?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And very brave they were, too.

What's brave about fighting on behalf of an empire that is suppressing your own people? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Treasonous poison. If you don't like the Republic, you don't have to stay there, you know?

Leave him be, he's just upset because he got caught out on his abject lack of knowledge of Irish history.

Again!

who said I hated Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Oh my.

The money collected for poppy sales in Ireland goes to the families of Irish people who served. Ironically the money that Irish people pay in taxes to the UK government when they work in the UK goes to fund the British army and helps to pay for the ongoing wars.
    Think you need to look up the meaning of irony.

There's lots of spending by the government (UK) that I disagree with, nothing out of the ordinary there. I've said from the outset that I disagree with the ongoing wars that the BA finds itself in, HOWEVER I've also stated that I believe it is the responsibility of government to provide for those injured or the families of the dead - not pass the cost of war onto the goodwill of the public.

If the true costs of war were adequately budgeted and taxed for I think you'd find a far far lower level of support amongst the general public.

Leave him be, he's just upset because he got caught out on his abject lack of knowledge of Irish history.

Again!
    are you the judge and jury on Irish history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

The poppy is still a remembrance symbol of the soldiers who died thought!

From the British legion website:
    Every poppy helps us to support the British Armed Forces past and present, and their families.

So, as has been pointed out a hundred and one times already, it is a show of support for every single act that the BA has been/is involved in. It's really that simple.

And by wearing it you show your support for the men who murdered civilians on both Bloody Sundays, the indiscriminate murder of civilians during the capture of Delhi in the 1850s, the first concentration camps of the Boer War, the use of mustard gas in WW1 in direct violation of the 1899 Hague Declaration Concerning Asphyxiating Gases and the 1907 Hague Convention on Land Warfare, which prohibited the use of "poison or poisoned weapons" in warfare. The raping of German women and children during WWII, the bombing of Dresden, the various war crimes committed during the Falklands, and those carried out in Iraq in the 1920s. Acts repeated by a certain Corporal Donald Payne many year later. Despite all these wrong doings, Payne was the first ever British soldier to be convicted of a war crime under the provisions of the International Criminal Court Act 2001
    His sentence? 1 year in jail and expulsion from the army.

All taken from here

So by all means wear your poppy, but just remember that by wearing it you're showing you have no problem with any of the above atrocities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

are you the judge and jury on Irish history?

Not difficult to judge someone who thinks 1916 was a Sinn Fein Rising.
    Actually still laughing at that

From the British legion website:

So, as has been pointed out a hundred and one times already, it is a show of support for every single act that the BA has been/is involved in. It's really that simple.

And by wearing it you show your support for the men who murdered civilians on both Bloody Sundays, the indiscriminate murder of civilians during the capture of Delhi in the 1850s, the first concentration camps of the Boer War, the use of mustard gas in WW1 in direct violation of the 1899 Hague Declaration Concerning Asphyxiating Gases and the 1907 Hague Convention on Land Warfare, which prohibited the use of "poison or poisoned weapons" in warfare. The raping of German women and children during WWII, the bombing of Dresden, the various war crimes committed during the Falklands, and those carried out in Iraq in the 1920s. Acts repeated by a certain Corporal Donald Payne many year later. Despite all these wrong doings, Payne was the first ever British soldier to be convicted of a war crime under the provisions of the International Criminal Court Act 2001
    His sentence? 1 year in jail and expulsion from the army.

All taken from here

So by all means wear your poppy, but just remember that by wearing it you're showing you have no problem with any of the above atrocities.

Another one who chooses to tar every soldier with the same brush.

I'm wondering do you understand written English at all?

If you go back to some of my earlier posts with you, you will notice that I wrote that I've no problem with fallen soldiers being remembered. But as I've also shown the poppy isn't about remembering the fallen anymore.
    Therefore, if you wear the poppy you fully support the actions of the BA, every single action it was ever performed. Wearing something so stained with innocent blood on my lapel would not sit well with my conscience.
    I have shown you now what the poppy really means, if you choose to ignore what is blatantly obvious then that's your decision. But at least now you know.

If people choose to join a bunch of murdering thugs, they can expect to get tarred with the same brush.

I'm wondering do you understand written English at all?

If you go back to some of my earlier posts with you, you will notice that I wrote that I've no problem with fallen soldiers being remembered. But as I've also shown the poppy isn't about remembering the fallen anymore.
    Therefore, if you wear the poppy you fully support the actions of the BA, every single action it was ever performed. Wearing something so stained with innocent blood on my lapel would not sit well with my conscience.
    I have shown you now what the poppy really means, if you choose to ignore what is blatantly obvious then that's your decision. But at least now you know.

And if you choose to wear an Easter lily you fully support the actions of the IRA every single action it has ever performed. Wearing something so stained with innocent blood on my lapel would not sit well with my conscience.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    If people choose to join a bunch of murdering thugs, they can expect to get tarred with the same brush.

And if you help to pay the wages and financially support these so called murdering thugs as so many Irish men and women are doing right now?

And if you help to pay the wages and financially support these so called murdering thugs as so many Irish men and women are doing right now?

Well, you endorse their crimes.

I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

And if you choose to wear an Easter lily you fully support the actions of the IRA every single action it has ever performed. Wearing something so stained with innocent blood on my lapel would not sit well with my conscience.

That's a great comeback, echoing my words. :rolleyes:
    Even though I've already written I'd never wear an Easter Lily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Piliger wrote: »
    I respect respect any fellow Irishman who does so. The British army is a fantastic force, full of amazing heros and many Irish men were heroic to go and fight with them. So put that in your bong and smoke it.

Heroes like these?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/apr/09/malaya-massacre-villagers-coverup

How was it heroic to enforce the rule of an empire?
    Bumper234 wrote:
    No but I will explain how ANY money raised from poppy sales in Ireland goes to the people of Ireland who fought for the British army.

...and not for the first time, I'll point out that its not a matter of who was born where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Nodin wrote: »
    The British government classified the conflict as an "emergency", in deference to the British owners of Malaya's lucrative rubber plantations and tin mines, who were insured for losses from theft, but not for those incurred in wartime.

During the first five years alone, the British dropped 545,000 tons of bombs in 4,500 air strikes. More than 500 British personnel, including the high commissioner, Henry Gurney, 1,300 Malayan police and 3,000 civilians were killed. In addition, the British interned 34,000 people and sprayed hundreds of acres with defoliant.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/apr/09/malaya-massacre-villagers-coverup

Shameful stuff.

Nodin wrote: »
    How was it heroic to enforce the rule of an empire?

Because.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Well, you endorse their crimes.

I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

So you say every Irish person working in the UK right now endorses the crimes that have been committed over the centuries by the BA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

The Yanks did feck all in fairness, no matter how many Yankie propaganda war films tells ya, the Ruskies saved Europe, but only coz they had so much cannon fodder to send to the front lines.

Well in all honesty any serious historian of WW2 will answer when asked when did Germany lose the war with "30th January of 1933".

who said I hated Ireland?

Well, you refuse to recognise the Republic of Ireland, that's pretty telling.

• Advertisement

So you say every Irish person working in the UK right now endorses the crimes that have been committed over the centuries by the BA?

No, we're talking about people buying poppies, but feel free to insinuate something that i never said. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement