Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What's brave about fighting on behalf of an empire that is suppressing your own people? :confused:

They were fighting against a greater "evil". Whatever else about other exploits of the British armed forces - and there are many bad exploits (which I absolutely do not condone) as we all know - the Irish fighting in WW1 were brave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

This post has been deleted.

Nope, the Irish were passing on the movements of German U-Boats to the British embassy in Dublin on a regular basis. They also let English POWs go back some soon after being caught while detaining German ones. There was even a plan agreed between Dublin and London that British forces would occupy the Free State in case of a landing in Ireland, and that if there was a sucessful invasion of Britain the RAF would decamp to a secret airbase in Tipperary so that they could bomb all of southern England.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

You have been listening to the "Famine song" too much- people should google it to understand the reference Fred was making...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

old hippy wrote: »
    They were fighting against a greater "evil". Whatever else about other exploits of the British armed forces - and there are many bad exploits (which I absolutely do not condone) as we all know - the Irish fighting in WW1 were brave.

Nope, there is nothing brave about fighting for an evil empire in defending a country like Belgium which was at the time raping the Congo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Zebra3 wrote: »
    No, we're talking about people buying poppies, but feel free to insinuate something that i never said. :rolleyes:

Ok so people spending £2 on a poppy to commemorate their grandfather who died in ww2 (yes I know it goes to all soldiers of all wars blah blah blah) is a bad thing because the RBL (a not for profit charity) continues to help ex servicemen who may or may not have been in service when such atrocities as bloody Sunday occurred.

Working in the UK and paying taxes to the UK government is ok even though some of the taxes paid go DIRECTLY to the MOD and bankrolls the wars that you have all said were so bad and terrible. None of you worked in the UK or had family working in the UK in the 60's and 70's who paid taxes because they would have contributed a HELL of a lot more money towards these murderers than an average Joe on the street buying a remembrance poppy.

So buy a remembrance poppy = bad

Pay taxes and directly contribute to war = good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

bumper234 wrote: »
    So buy a remembrance poppy = bad (non-compulsory)

Pay taxes and directly contribute to war = good (compulsory)

Difference.

wazky wrote: »
    Difference.

And just like the brave Irish men who went off to join the British Army our economic migrants have a choice. No one forces them to work in the UK and contribute to wars.

And just like the brave Irish men who went off to join the British Army our economic migrants have a choice. No one forces them to work in the UK and contribute to wars.

Well the choice is go and get yourself a job and live or sit on your hole here and survive?

Well the choice is go and get yourself a job and live or sit on your hole here and survive?

And back when ww1 and 2 where on the option was what? Because back then there was no dole and rent allowance it was work or starve. And surly going by comments of some on here it's better to be on the dole than contributing tax money to the evil British army right?

• Advertisement

And back when ww1 and 2 where on the option was what? Because back then there was no dole and rent allowance it was work or starve.

Exactly my point?, they didn't join up for some sense of the greater good, it was so they could eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ok so people spending £2 on a poppy to commemorate their grandfather who died in ww2 (yes I know it goes to all soldiers of all wars blah blah blah) is a bad thing because the RBL (a not for profit charity) continues to help ex servicemen who may or may not have been in service when such atrocities as bloody Sunday occurred.

You still don't get it. If somebody served in the BA in Nigeria or Uganda they were part of a racist Imperial system which ran the place. It was the norm, above board etc.

Nodin wrote: »
    You still don't get it. If somebody served in the BA in Nigeria or Uganda they were part of a racist Imperial system which ran the place. It was the norm, above board etc.

And if an Irish person worked in the UK at that time and paid taxes then they directly contributed to that regime. Should we shun the Irish families of those who helped to fund this racist imperial system?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Just shows the type of people in the British poppy brigade. And how they claim historical fact.

Wish they'd f**k off back to yahoo answers.

Brutal empire and thugs. Get over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Exactly my point?, they didn't join up for some sense of the greater good, it was so they could eat.

Some did , some didn't.
    Many did at Redmonds behest.

Some did , some didn't.
    Many did at Redmonds behest.

For the deluded idea that it would gain Irish Nationalists their demands...

For the deluded idea that it would gain Irish Nationalists their demands...

Regardless of the virtue, or lack of it, of that idea, it is quite a different reason that was attributed to them by you.

And if an Irish person worked in the UK at that time and paid taxes then they directly contributed to that regime. Should we shun the Irish families of those who helped to fund this racist imperial system?

....it wasn't possible to avoid doing so. In 1955, it was certainly possible to avoid joining the BA.

....it wasn't possible to avoid doing so. In 1955, it was certainly possible to avoid joining the BA.

now you're just making up excuses for them, what about the people who are working in the UK today, paying taxes and funding wars? Didn't someone recently post a link about a BA soldier executing a taliban fighter?

now you're just making up excuses for them, .......

O. So you're saying that every British person who pays tax (not an opt in system over there) supports the BA and it's activities?

You haven't thought this through, have ye?

• Advertisement

O. So you're saying that every British person who pays tax (not an opt in system over there) supports the BA and it's activities?

You haven't thought this through, have ye?

No i am saying that every Irish person that works there CHOOSES to contribute to the funding of the British army.

No i am saying that every Irish person that works there CHOOSES to contribute to the funding of the British army.

....not unless they moved there specifically with that purpose in mind.

Again - are you saying that every person in Britain supports all and every action of the BA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

So, as has been pointed out a hundred and one times already, it is a show of support for every single act that the BA has been/is involved in. It's really that simple.

And by wearing it you show your support for the men who murdered civilians on both Bloody Sundays . .

So by all means wear your poppy, but just remember that by wearing it you're showing you have no problem with any of the above atrocities.

I strongly disagree with the above. When I make my contribution to the old lady (Irish Poppy Appeal) selling poppies in Dun Laoghaire, I do so purely as a nod to my dead family members who travelled over to the continent (in both world wars) to fight against Germany/NAZI Germany, and for that reason and the just cause they died for, I wear my poppy with pride. I don't doubt that some people knowingly wear the Poppy (or other symbols) in the knowledge that their deceased loved ones might have been involved in less than honourable deeds.

I have my personal reasons for wearing the Poppy, and they have nothing to do with any of the events you mention above.

....not unless they moved there specifically with that purpose in mind.

Again - are you saying that every person in Britain supports all and every action of the BA?

They move there with full knowledge that the money they pay in tax will help fund the military machine and therefore they are complicit in the funding of wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

They move there with full knowledge that the money they pay in tax will help fund the military machine and therefore they are complicit in the funding of wars.

They can also vote out warmongering governments and go on anti-war marches like so many did pre Tony Blair's war.

They can also vote out warmongering governments and go on anti-war marches like so many did pre Tony Blair's war.

only if they become citizens. And even then it does not matter because a % of tax goes to the MOD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭whats the point

only if they become citizens. And even then it does not matter because a % of tax goes to the MOD

Since when does an Irish person have to become a UK citizen to vote in UK elections?

Since when does an Irish person have to become a UK citizen to vote in UK elections?

They don't. Once they are living in the UK they have full voting rights.

They don't. Once they are living in the UK they have full voting rights.

More than 186 days a year and claiming residency you're right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

moxin wrote: »
    Great reply, you can't expand your point little bit more? :rolleyes:

We're talking about the red poppy which supports Britain's armed forces, wearing one means you support the armys wars. If you don't support the wars. wear a white poppy.

Where did you read that wearing a poppy means that you support war?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement