Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'll wear a picklehaube for the duration this year I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

Best to exit the thread indeed.
    The hole you keep digging yourself keeps getting bigger and bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Nodin wrote: »
    Nope.

An go on! You'd look so pretty with one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

ynwa14 wrote: »
    I'm talking about Irish peoples obsession with screwing on everyone in the country who chooses to wear one because of how they feel affected by what the british army did to them.

But thank you for listing a bunch of countries where the british army invaded and killed absolutely every inhabitant ever, countries that had no army and were at absolutely no fault, because these were all totally one sided wars and no british person was affected AT ALL. No, we all actually rejoiced and had a tea party while we waited for news every night of... WAIT, OUR OWN FAMILY MEMBERS BEING KILLED? Wait, what?! The british suffer too? They arent just factory made killing machines?

Yes, if only the poor British hadn't been forced on pain of death to go into these countries. They really had no other choice. You'll notice none of these countries ever invaded Britain

1. Comfy Chair
    2. Beer
    3. Take Away Menu
    4. Phone
    5. More Beer
    6. Portable Toilet

It's half one on a wednesday. You lucky bugger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Dara O'Brien got in a lot of trouble for not wearing one on TV if I remember correctly.

I won't be wearing be wearing one here in Wales, and I won't be parading around here with an Easter Lilly when the time comes either for the same reason.

Symbols that in a way try to justify/glorify war or conflict should not be used as a way to show solidarity to those who died in the past.

Not all wars by nations armies are just.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I've never had any problem with the poppy until the recent trend of attacking people for not wearing one - see Dara O'Briain or James McLean. Even if I had previously worn one, this would encourage me to do otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

It's half one on a wednesday. You lucky bugger

By page ten one will need shots

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I'm just going to smile smugly and exit the thread, because clearly this seems to be a touchy subject. How dare someone from a British millitary background NOT hate their own country, eh? :D

Nobody is asking you to hate your own country, just not to support its crimes and criminals.

It was good enough for George Orwell.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

.....it's possible to be British and reject Imperialism, you know....

Ah yes, the lesser-spotted British anti-Imperialist. Practically extinct from the British mainstream media.

On the contrary, the common (or garden) anti-republican; thriving in the Irish mainstream media.

• Advertisement

By page ten one will need shots

or there'll be shots?

• Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would give money to the poppy appeal in a shop or whatever if I see one of the boxes, but tend not to go out of my way to try and buy / get a poppy. Like many people I have previous generations of my family who died in the world wars, I still have the medals and the letter received at the time (during ww1) awarding them posthumously. It's hard to imagine how awful it would be stuck in some trench in France thinking you could die today and your body might never actually be found.

That said, usually when I do get a poppy I don't actually wear it, though that's not for any political reason.

I think there's far too much made of people wearing or not wearing them, which is a shame. If someone wears it fine, if not fine. It's up to them, people shouldn't be preached to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Personally, I prefer the Help For Hero's charity myself,.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Not a big fan of people outwardly displaying political, imperialistic or religious beliefs in public. That goes for crosses, badges, star's of david, rosary beads, etc. Believe what you want but I don't need to nor want to know your belief nor to have it pushed into my face. Keep these things behind closed doors thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

enda1 wrote: »
    Not a big fan of people outwardly displaying political, imperialistic or religious beliefs in public. That goes for crosses, badges, star's of david, rosary beads, etc. Believe what you want but I don't need to nor want to know your belief nor to have it pushed into my face. Keep these things behind closed doors thanks.

How is my wearing a poppy on the lapel of my jacket pushing my beliefs into your face?

bumper234 wrote: »
    How is my wearing a poppy on the lapel of my jacket pushing my beliefs into your face?

Why do you need to tell strangers your beliefs when they never asked for them?

enda1 wrote: »
    Why do you need to tell strangers your beliefs when they never asked for them?

I am not "telling" any one anything any more than someone with pink hair, dreadlocks, facial piercings or tattoos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Petty? Refusing to sponsor the veterans of Imperialism is not petty, its a matter of principle.

If you wear an Easter Lilly, you are in no position to criticise.

De ja vu?

Aden, Kenya, Uganda, Burma, India, Egypt, Sudan, Iraq.....

I thought you said you didn't have a bot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

why can't we all wear mistletoe and get along? :(

x

• Advertisement

Muise... wrote: »

x

Wrong time of the year....Christmas doesn't start till November :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TheMzarector

Yes, in my opinion there's absolutely no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

Muise... wrote: »

x

Because some of the Irish can't forget and move on. Yet somehow they think it's ok to wear an Easter lily to commemorate murderous IRA scum, but not for the British to commemorate their own soldiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

So yes I'll wear a poppy to show my support for the armed forces the same way I spend most of my free time fundraising for charities like H4H so that injured soldiers get the treatment and compensation they deserve.
    I don't understand this. All you're doing is subsidising the British government and the MoD. Handy enough for them since they don't have to justify the full cost of military conflict to the general public. I don't agree with much of the wars the British Armed Forces get themselves into, but I do believe that once the Government puts young men and women into conflict zones they should take FULL RESPONSIBILITY for the outcomes, including rehabilitation and providing for widowed spouses and children.

Your fundraising efforts would be better spent campaigning for that.
    old hippy wrote: »
    Because we're known for being a broadminded, tolerant lot, who respect other peoples' traditions and sacrifices?
    For such a pacifist you seem extremely eager to embrace a symbol which exclusively remembers the Armed Forces of one nation, not the countless dead on both sides including civilians. A symbol which acts as a tacit approval for Britain's involvement in current conflicts.

Would the victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki be any less deserving of remembrance than British soldiers (who at least had the means to defend themselves)?

bumper234 wrote: »
    I am not "telling" any one anything any more than someone with pink hair, dreadlocks, facial piercings or tattoos.

You can't really believe in facial piercings without having them (similar for the other three examples) but you can believe in helping the soldiers or whatever you're doing without telling everyone.

I'm an atheist and I find believing in a God ridiculous, however I don't show any outward symbol of this belief nor tell strangers what I believe. Why should I?

(And yes I am aware of the apparent irony of the above statement).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Because some of the Irish can't forget and move on ... murderous IRA scum

Boards.ie really needs a facepalm smiley.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I don't understand this. All you're doing is subsidising the British government and the MoD. Handy enough for them since they don't have to justify the full cost of military conflict to the general public. I don't agree with much of the wars the British Armed Forces get themselves into, but I do believe that once the Government puts young men and women into conflict zones they should take FULL RESPONSIBILITY for the outcomes, including rehabilitation and providing for widowed spouses and children.

Your fundraising efforts would be better spent campaigning for that.

For such a pacifist you seem extremely eager to embrace a symbol which exclusively remembers the Armed Forces of one nation, not the countless dead on both sides including civilians. A symbol which acts as a tacit approval for Britain's involvement in current conflicts.

Would the victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki be any less deserving of remembrance than British soldiers (who at least had the means to defend themselves)?

There's a remembrance day in Japan on 6 August for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Boards.ie really needs a facepalm smiley.

the red-faced-hand of Ulster? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭lertsnim

old hippy wrote: »
    It's that time of year again where mass debates ensue over paper flowers, pensioners, prisoners of war, the struggle, lillies et al. I noticed the first advert this morning at the bus stop today.

Will you be sporting one?

Not a hope will I. Nor would I for any other foreign armed forces.

• Advertisement

Jimoslimos wrote: »

Your fundraising efforts would be better spent campaigning for that.?

Can anyone fully provide for a young soldier who has had their limbs blown off by an ied whilst guarding a school targeted because they educate girls?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement