Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

moxin wrote: »
    Prince Harry broke his toe yesterday, how many peasants should die for it?

Which toe was it?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The thread is about the remembrance poppy which fundraises for the killers and torturers of the British forces and those who support them. You can always check the title which you may need to do as half the time you seem to be lost about what you're on about.

I don't see what the IRA, US army or KGB or whatever else have to do with the thread. :confused:

Are you saying its for the IRA and the Taliban?

Aren't the IRA suppose to have been terrorists? As you seem to respect them as equals to the BA, then the BA are terrorists too.

The topic is the BA and their red poppy which the British people are choosing to fund the welfare of their soldiers who murdered hundreds of unarmed civilains in NI.

Its not just about the British Army. Just to clarify, will you be wearing a poppy this year or not?

You'd have to ask them as I have never purchased an Easter Lilly in my life.

We can't have a government "looking after dead murderers and torturers" can we? But hey we have the poppy to look after living British Army murderers and torturers.

No you dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Nodin wrote: »

Am on my phone so can't be arsed clicking on yet more links of your generic responses. Needless to say if an Irish person has a problem with a charity helping ex servicemen then they really shouldn't work in a country and pay taxes to help fund the army.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bumper234 wrote: »
    Am on my phone so can't be arsed clicking on yet more links of your generic responses. Needless to say if an Irish person has a problem with a charity helping ex servicemen then they really shouldn't work in a country and pay taxes to help fund the army.

Deal with the responses already given, rather that repeating the same guff that garnered them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

T runner wrote: »
    I dont even think "have i got news for you" would escape an anti-poppy firing squad!

Edit: a very recent story.... Some of the Lads who will benefit in future years from Poppy sales:

No they won't, there will be an investigation and if they are found guilty they will be receive dishonourable discharges and be eligible for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

Nodin wrote: »
    Deal with the responses already given, rather that repeating the same guff that garnered them.

He ran out of responses about 60 pages ago........now he has just become great comic relief

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Which toe was it?
    No you dont.

Wha??
    Its not just about the British Army. Just to clarify, will you be wearing a poppy this year or not?

I'm not British.

old hippy wrote: »
    So, to sum up - my murderous little army is better/worse than your murderous little army.

The Irish Defences Forces have not murdered British civilians so your analogy is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

The Irish Defences Forces have not murdered British civilians so your analogy is wrong.

The Provos did though (and no I dont consider Security Forces personell killed during the Troubles by Republicans as being murdered as such). The sheer hypocrisy of people on this thread who have no qualms at all about British militarism but will wax lyrical about evil things Republicans have done is really galling. Either you have a problem with violence or you dont. Personally while I think its sometimes necessary its always something to be taken very seriously.

The Provos did though (and no I dont consider Security Forces personell killed during the Troubles by Republicans as being murdered as such). The sheer hypocrisy of people on this thread who have no qualms at all about British militarism but will wax lyrical about evil things Republicans have done is really galling. Either you have a problem with violence or you dont. Personally while I think its sometimes necessary its always something to be taken very seriously.

Or you can be selective in which situations violence irks you in order to keep a relatively pointless thread trundling along as you repeat yourself and make the hypocrisy clear that it is perfectly acceptable for one side to murder others and is worth funding and commemorating while the other side is in your own mind scum for killing people..........Its bloody hilarious to see this logic unfolding haha

Not new news, they all did commit murder. This topic is about the red poppy for the BA who murdered hundreds of Irish civilians in recent times. Their equivalent over here is the Irish Defences Forces who have not murdered a single British civilian as far as I know.
    So the posters(mainly from the pro-British side) labelling red poppy opposers as supporters for murder of civilians is wrong, only a tiny minority of Irish people supported the provos.

Not new news, they all did commit murder. This topic is about the red poppy for the BA who murdered hundreds of Irish civilians in recent times. Their equivalent over here is the Irish Defences Forces who have not murdered a single British civilian as far as I know.
    So the posters(mainly from the pro-British side) labelling red poppy opposers as supporters for murder of civilians is wrong, only a tiny minority of Irish people supported the provos.

The pro-British won't like this....to sensible and factual

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

The truth... sounds like you can't handle the truth!
    So you're not going to answer the question. Ok, your decision.

Wha??

I'm not British.

I didnt ask you if you were British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You mean they way they died?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

No they haven't, but the uber patriots don't care about the legitimate army of this country, they only Care about the IRA, who have murdered hundreds of innocent people on these islands as well as Irish soldiers and members of AGS.

Which does make them hypocritical for having faux concern for victims of British army atrocities.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭IrishProd

No they haven't, but the uber patriots don't care about the legitimate army of this country, they only Care about the IRA, who have murdered hundreds of innocent people on these islands as well as Irish soldiers and members of AGS.

Which does make them hypocritical for having faux concern for victims of British army atrocities.

It is not these "uber patriots" that continue to bring up the IRA on a discussion about the poppy and the British Army, it is people like yourself in an attempt to diminish what the British Army has done. How many people do you think they have murdered on these "islands", and not just in the last two centuries?

...again, the "atrocities" line. The whole system was an atrocity. The raison d'etre was wrong from the get go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

IrishProd wrote: »
    It is not these "uber patriots" that continue to bring up the IRA on a discussion about the poppy and the British Army, it is people like yourself in an attempt to diminish what the British Army has done. How many people do you think they have murdered on these "islands", and not just in the last two centuries?

In my lifetime, a lot less than Irish republicans.

I see it as being very simple. If you wear a Lilly then you have no moral highground from which to judge people who wear a poppy.

I see it as being very simple. If you wear a Lilly then you have no moral highground from which to judge people who wear a poppy.

What age are you fred?

This is a thread about the poppy, if you want to distract people with your talk about the lilly start another thread on it instead of bringing it up to deflect.

[QUOTE=Fratton Fred;87248213]In my lifetime, a lot less than Irish republicans.[/QUOTE]

Courtesy of CAIN. The official database on the Troubles from 1969 onwards.

IRA (Provisionals): Civilian deaths = 510
    Unionist Paramilitaries: Civilian deaths = 877
    British State Forces: Civilian deaths = 186

British/Unionists: 877+186= 1063
    IRA: 510

Over double the amount. You can stop it now.

Ah now this seems suspect IrishProd only registered today and has thrown itself straight into a debate where its username is designed for......I smell a troll or double account tbh.....

What it all boils down to is that unless you support the work of the Royal British Legion then chances are that you wont buy the poppy. I support them and i would buy a poppy but wouldnt wear it as i dont wear charity badges no matter what it is but would still give.
    Are poppies sold here in Ireland? if so, where?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

The money goes to the British legion. They bombed Dublin and Monaghan so NO!

Are poppies sold here in Ireland? if so, where?

Poppy sellers are thin on the streets these days, but you will come across the odd war widow on a street corner in the City Centre (Dublin) or in the greater Dublin area. Same goes for many towns up an down the country in the lead up to Rembrance day. Poppies are also freely availale in each and every CofI/Methodist church. Come to think of it, I was in a book shop in Dublin last year and there was a Poppy box on the counter, so you can come across them in many places. Contributions made go towards the Irish Poppy Appeal (ROI).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

LordSutch wrote: »
    Poppy sellers are thin on the streets these days, but you will come across the odd war widow on a street corner in the City Centre (Dublin) or in the greater Dublin area. Same goes for many towns up an ddown the country. Poppies are also freely availale in each and every CofI/Methodist church. Come to think of it, I was in a book shop in Dublin last year and there was a Poppy box on the counter, so you can come across them in many places. Contributions made go towards the Irish Poppy Appeal (ROI).

Not true all though they certainly are in many. I dont have figures on this though.

• Advertisement

Not true all though they certainly are in many. I dont have figures on this though.

How about 99.9%.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement