Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

I'll wear one. Sure why not, they only murdered hundreds of people in Ireland and bombed our capital. The British, a great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

T runner wrote: »
    As we have established, these were primary targets not collateral targets.

Indiscriminate bombing was internationally outlawed. The Washington Treaty (1922) expressly forbade the use of bombing against civilian populations.

Targetting civilians is called terrorism. Obviously you have no issue with the provisional IRAs bombing campaign in mainland Britain?

(I hope people are seeing more clearly what the poppy is really about)

As was London, Birmingham and Liverpool. As for the Washington treaty.....you do realise that the American air force also took part in these bombings right? Or do you only concentrate on the British side of it? And too funny comparing the aerial bombing of city's during the time of war with leaving a bag full of explosives in a bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

When people go on about the "Betrayal of Yalta" and than go on about Dresden which definitely was a war crime most Europeans would start to wonder did they wish that Hitler had won the war.

To point about Dresden, and the other war crimes in Northern Europe, is that the poppy sales will benefit the criminals and psycopaths who planned and carried them out. If buying a poppies benefits war criminals then the cliams that it represents a hope for peace are just tattered lies.

WW to world war II, If war crimes were committed then the people who were responsble should be tried and punished, regardless of who won a war or who thought they were right. Irelands position of neutrality as a neutral country was entirely correct and understandable. Our bitter experiences at the hands of a warring nation has taught us that our efforts are best focused on brokering peace.

yenom wrote: »
    I'll wear one. Sure why not, they only murdered hundreds of people in Ireland and bombed our capital. The British, a great bunch of lads.

When did the British Army bomb Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

bumper234 wrote: »

In collusion with loyalist paramilitaries they did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

and 1972

wazky wrote: »
    In collusion with loyalist paramilitaries they did.

You finally have the evidence of this? I know the UVF bombed Dublin and Monaghan but was it ever proven that the British Army had anything to do with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

As was London, Birmingham and Liverpool. As for the Washington treaty.....you do realise that the American air force also took part in these bombings right? Or do you only concentrate on the British side of it?
    As i have said, mainly British (see below), and the Americans are also guilty of war crimes, Hiroshima being the worst terrorist attack in human history.
    The Bombing of Germany during World War II mainly through the Royal Air Force (RAF) and the United States Army Air Force (USAAF) was partially strategic and considered by historians as legitimate warfare against the Wehrmacht, but by the summer of 1943 the "terror from above" was mostly a inhumane war crime, because the bombings had become militarily unnecessary and had degenerated to a barbaric massacre of German civilians.
    And too funny comparing the aerial bombing of city's during the time of war with leaving a bag full of explosives in a bar

The first firebomb in Hamburg incinerated 40,000 civilains...incinerating everybody in the entire target area.

So a firebomb targetting civilians and burning alive 40,000 men, women, child and baby in an entire area is OK.......but bombing a bar killing 20 people is reprehensible?

Do you not see your hypocrisy?

The would-be James Bond - Nairac - ran riot until the night his singing let him down.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

To point about Dresden, and the other war crimes in Northern Europe, is that the poppy sales will benefit the criminals and psycopaths who planned and carried them out. If buying a poppies benefits war criminals then the cliams that it represents a hope for peace are just tattered lies.

Calling those who took part in bombing Dresden knowing that most of them wouldnt make it home and taking into account the atmosphere of time psychopaths is exactly the same as Unionists who call all PIRA Volunteers psychopaths. Was Volunteer Thomas Begley a psychopath? I dont think so but if you are going to call them psychopaths you have to call him a psychopath.

+ A hundred years ago the Helga sailed in through the foggy dew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

And too funny comparing the aerial bombing of city's during the time of war with leaving a bag full of explosives in a bar.
    A declaration of war was made on the Irish Republican Army in the House of Commons in June 1971, by the then Conservative Home Secretary, Reginald Maudling who stated that the ‘British Government was now at war with the IRA.’

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Yes it did- it also burned massive sections of Cork City to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Easter Rising 1916.

You finally have the evidence of this? I know the UVF bombed Dublin and Monaghan but was it ever proven that the British Army had anything to do with this?

The attacks were of a highly skilled military operation, the materials used were never used by the UVF before.

Even a British Army disposal expert claimed that the bomb material could not have been manufactured by the UVF and must of came from a military source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

These guys benefitted from Poppys also i take it?

Any British army proper certainly. If they were classified as Indian Army (British Indian Army) I don't know, tbh.

By way of illustration of my earlier point...

"The massacre at the Qissa Khawani Bazaar (the Storytellers Market) in Peshawar, British India (modern day Pakistan) on 23 April 1930 was one of the defining moments in the non-violent struggle to drive the British out of India. It was the first major confrontation between British troops and non-violent demonstrators in the then peaceful city—some estimates at the time put the death toll from the shooting at nearly 400 dead.[1] The gunning down of unarmed people triggered protests across the India and catapulted the newly formed Khudai Khidmatgar movement onto the National scene.[2]"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qissa_Khwani_Bazaar_massacre

Two additional points of interest are the treatment of the troops who refused to fire, and the fact those non-violent persons were Pashtuns, many of whom are these days associated with the Taleban. Whether the notion of pacificism was shot out of them or not I'm not sufficiently well read enough to say.

wazky wrote: »
    The attacks were of a highly skilled military operation, the materials used were never used by the UVF before.

Even a British Army disposal expert claimed that the bomb material could not have been manufactured by the UVF and! must of came from a military source.

But no proof that it came from a British Army source right?

No, it came from the Waffen SS.

Search google for the "Barron Inquiry" for more information on the subject, because I really couldn't be bothered trying to explain it to someone who ain't listening.

• Advertisement

HansHolzel wrote: »
    No, it came from the Waffen SS.

I could easily say that the IRA handed Timoty McVeigh the explosives for his bomb or they gave the timers to the Basque terrorists to plant bombs. Without EVIDENCE my claims (like yours) are just conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

I could easily say that the IRA handed Timoty McVeigh the explosives for his bomb or they gave the timers to the Basque terrorists to plant bombs. Without EVIDENCE my claims (like yours) are just conjecture.

Concrete proof will come out alright, its a habit of your British govt to delay the truth for as long as possible, perhaps another 40yrs. Get your govt to release their files on the bombing, they have refused so far.

No, it wasn't the Waffen SS, it was actually the X Men.

moxin wrote: »
    Concrete proof will come out alright, its a habit of your British govt to delay the truth for as long as possible, perhaps another 40yrs. Get your govt to release their files on the bombing, they have refused so far.

Yeah because I have friends in high places :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

What about that plane they shot down? They won't give out the files to that either and the Irish government won't let people near the spot in case they find proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

What about that plane they shot down? They won't give out the files to that either and the Irish government won't let people near the spot in case they find proof.

Please explain how you have managed to drag this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aer_Lingus_Flight_712 into a thread about wearing a poppy ....unless you have some proof that has yet to see the light of day...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Out of interest has anyone in the last 1,400 posts actually asked an Irish person to wear a poppy?

Conspiracy theories forum is thataway >>>>>>>>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Easter Rising 1916.
    No you're thinking of the terrorists. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

To answer the OP, I would be very happy to wear this poppy...

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2e4kod5&s=6#.UnGErrIgGK0

Surely all the poppy wearers on here would be happy to have this as their avatar this time of year? You can commemorate your heroes and many Irish who they killed at the same time.

Everyone's a winner, surely you'd agree to that folks?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement