Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

bumper234 wrote: »
    And your homegrown Loyalist dissidents (terrorists) are your problem:rolleyes:
    True that, but sure they're well contained in the 6 north east counties of the country & are only good for marching to drum & pipe bands & building bonfires, bless them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

wazky wrote: »
    So is mine, want to meet up for coffee and talk 'bout it?

Yeah sure, Pick a place and if i'm not there in 3 hours start without me.
    MonstaMash wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss...RIP

Don't be...she is dead.....your sympathy isn't required.

True that, but sure they're well contained in the 6 north east counties of the country & are only good for marching to drum & pipe bands & building bonfires, bless them ;)

Yeah....and supplying pipe bombs to the scum of the country and killing innocent people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Luckily you have a new enemy within to contend with, colonialism has really paid off...you reap what you sow ;) :rolleyes:

Luckily for who?

Yeah....and supplying pipe bombs to the scum of the country and killing innocent people.
    Didn't know the UVF etc., were into that, thanks for informing me...slán ;)

• Advertisement

Luckily for who?
    Howya Fred, was waitng for you to chip in me auld flower...

In answer to your question...lucky for us Paddies, especially the hunger-striker looking types with the big beards...might easily be mistaken for Muslims :P

old hippy wrote: »
    It's that time of year again where mass debates ensue over paper flowers, pensioners, prisoners of war, the struggle, lillies et al. I noticed the first advert this morning at the bus stop today.

Will you be sporting one?
    See what you've started old hippy, I hope you're happy now :D;):p

Howya Fred, was waitng for you to chip in me auld flower...

In answer to your question...lucky for us Paddies, especially the hunger-striker looking types with the big beards...might easily be mistaken for Muslims :P

Muslims don't eat bacon!

Muslims don't eat bacon!
    That's because all us Paddies are savages for bacon & cabbage ;):D

Did I mention, pigs in the parlour :pac::pac::pac:

Don't be...she is dead.....your sympathy isn't required.
    Ah, don't be like that bumper234, it wasn't sympathy, just compassion for a fellow human being...

Can't we all be friends? ;):p

• Advertisement

Didn't know the UVF etc., were into that, thanks for informing me...slán ;)

Yeah keep your head in the sand like a good shinnerbot, Back to the high stool with ya to talk more war stories ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

The British lowered the flag in Aden in November 1967. Their penultimate High Commissioner, Richard Turnbull, had already remarked on the setting sun to Defence Secretary Denis Healey. When the British Empire sinks beneath the waves of history only two things from it will be left – the game of association football and the expression “fück off”.

Yeah keep your head in the sand like a good shinnerbot, Back to the high stool with ya to talk more war stories ;)
    I do not support Sinn Fein & never have, I am an Irish Nationalist & if you want to talk war stories kid, I've more than my fair share from 3 active duty overseas campaigns.

You have every right, as I acknowledged earlier on, to your beliefs & loyalties, as do I...the problem with you & most of your ilk is that you still have the superiority complex of the former colonist, you are no longer an empire...

Attrocities or collateral damage as you referred to it earlier in your posts, happen when two tribes go to war, get over it...we are no longer at war...you respect & honour your dead as you see fit, as will I!

This was a thread about wearing a poppy or not, your agenda is the defence of why you wear one...you do not need to defend your right to wear one, you earned that by serving your country & as a former military man, from one to another, I respect that.

I do not support Sinn Fein & never have, I am an Irish Nationalist & if you want to talk war stories kid, I've more than my fair share from 3 active duty overseas campaigns.

You have every right, as I acknowledged earlier on, to your beliefs & loyalties, as do I...the problem with you & most of your ilk is that you still have the superiority complex of the former colonist, you are no longer an empire...

Attrocities or collateral damage as you referred to it earlier in your posts, happen when two tribes go to war, get over it...we are no longer at war...you respect & honour your dead as you see fit, as will I!

I have no problem with someone wearing anything to honour their war dead. I jsut expect the same when i choose to wear a poppy. Also i have served in active duty and been i war zones so unlike 99% of the posters in this thread i do have an idea of what i am talking about ;)

How do you feel, as a serviceman, about the lack of respect for Irish soldiers who gave their lives on active duty?

I commented earlier in this thread how odd it is that the Easter Lilly raises funds for people who served in the unofficial army, some of whom would have been responsible for the murder of your colleagues, yet mention Niemba and you just get a blank stare.

If you get a blank stare over Niemba, Fred, it could be a case of shooting the messenger boy ;-)

HansHolzel wrote: »
    If you get a blank stare over Niemba, Fred, it could be a case of shooting the messenger boy ;-)

What?

How do you feel, as a serviceman, about the lack of respect for Irish soldiers who gave their lives on active duty?

I commented earlier in this thread how odd it is that the Easter Lilly raises funds for people who served in the unofficial army, some of whom would have been responsible for the murder of your colleagues, yet mention Niemba and you just get a blank stare.
    I respect all servicemen, enemies included, who gave their lives on active duty in service of their country.

None of my colleagues were murdered by the IRA as I never served in the PDF, however, when I signed up for the military I accepted the fact that my life maybe forfeit due to my actions, as all servicemen do.

I respect all servicemen, enemies included, who gave their lives on active duty in service of their country.

None of my colleagues were murdered by the IRA as I never served in the PDF, however, when I signed up for the military I accepted the fact that my life maybe forfeit due to my actions, as all servicemen do.

Apologies, I presumed it was only the PDF that went overseas.

Just because someone accepts that they forfeit their life, it doesn't mean they should not be respected for it. Similarly, a young soldier on a UN mission who has his leg blown off by a roadside bomb is aware of the risks, but that does not detract from the sacrifice he has made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

To answer the OP, I would be very happy to wear this poppy...

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2e4kod5&s=6#.UnGErrIgGK0

Surely all the poppy wearers on here would be happy to have this as their avatar this time of year? You can commemorate your heroes and many Irish who they killed at the same time.

Everyone's a winner, surely you'd agree to that folks?

Again I ask the poppy wearers would they not support this poppy which remembers their heroes as well as many Irish people that they killed?

• Advertisement

Just because someone accepts that they forfeit their life, it doesn't mean they should not be respected for it. Similarly, a young soldier on a UN mission who has his leg blown off by a roadside bomb is aware of the risks, but that does not detract from the sacrifice he has made.
    Agreed 100%

Again I ask the poppy wearers would they not support this poppy which remembers their heroes as well as many Irish people that they killed?

Depends on two things.

Does the finds help soldiers injured in Afghanistan?
    Will you be wearing the Easter Lily equivalent?

Actually, why just Irish names?

Depends on two things.

Does the finds help soldiers injured in Afghanistan?
    Will you be wearing the Easter Lily equivalent?

Actually, why just Irish names?

Would you not have an avatar of that picture?

Would you not have an avatar of that picture?

Whats wrong with my current one?

Just because someone accepts that they forfeit their life, it doesn't mean they should not be respected for it.

Such as an IRA volunteer?

Whats wrong with my current one?

Lovely whataboutary.

Would be nice if you answered the question though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Easter lilies, for the most part, go to the NGA which looks after graves and the like...

They are not going towards giving scumbags from the UDR cheap pints in their legion bar

Lovely whataboutary.

Would be nice if you answered the question though.

Oh ffs.

I'll tell you what, I will put your poppy up as my avatar, if you buy yourself a pair of St George boxer shorts, write the name of every innocent English person murdered by your beloved IRA on them and then run up and down the Falls Road wearing just your New boxer shorts and singing Jerusalem.

Deal?

every innocent English person murdered by your beloved IRA

This skewed viewpoint reminds me of Isaac Newton.

“I don’t know what I may seem to the world, but, as to myself, I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.”

• Advertisement

Oh ffs.

I'll tell you what, I will put your poppy up as my avatar, if you buy yourself a pair of St George boxer shorts, write the name of every innocent English person murdered by your beloved IRA on them and then run up and down the Falls Road wearing just your New boxer shorts and singing Jerusalem.

Deal?
    :pac::pac::pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement