Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

I wonder do Loyalist paramilitaries shake down the poppy sellers. I was watching a documentary on Johnny Adair recently and the vice like grip he and the UDA had on their areas, also the LVF after Billy Wright's death seemed to veer off into full out gangsterism.

Do these groups still have influence like that in Belfast today?
    The UVF have a lot of influence. BBC spotlight did a good program on it recently it should be on youtube. The UVF have greatly increased their activity over the past 18 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Nodin wrote: »
    Ok - The poppy sold by the RBL goes to more than WW1 and II related projects.

Some money raised by concern in Ireland will inevitably end up in the hands of former soldiers in African nations that commited crimes. Should concern wind up their charity and stop trying to help people?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

bumper234 wrote: »
    Some money raised by concern in Ireland will inevitably end up in the hands of former soldiers in African nations that commited crimes. Should concern wind up their charity and stop trying to help people?

I'm struggling to see the relevance of Concern to this :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

There is none, but some people have an awful habit of "whataboutry".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

As a gesture of cross community piss taking, I have decided to wear a poppy and a lily on each of my man boobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"the odd bad egg" yet again? This has been explained to you before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

The UVF were the orchestrators of the Fleg riots especially in East Belfast and even shot a woman in their own community very recently. As per form we didn't see the usual suspects who are quick to condemn republican violence foaming at the mouth in condemnation of the UVF.

On the poppy, dissociate it from Unionist jingoism and keep it to WWI and WWII rather than giving its proceeds to murderers of hundreds of Irish civilians in recent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

moxin wrote: »
    The UVF were the orchestrators of the Fleg riots

Didn't the so-called 'moderate' Unionist parties leaflet loyalist areas saying 'er fleg's bein tekkin down - that's er culcher undur attak'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Didn't the so-called 'moderate' Unionist parties leaflet loyalist areas saying 'er fleg's bein tekkin down - that's er culcher undur attak'?

Yup. Mr moderate Mike Nesbitt did.
    However other Unionist did stand against the fleg protestors such as Basil McCrea , credit where its due.

Yes and the UVF took the opportunity to "show their strength". Most of the trouble was in East Belfast, not the hotspot of the Shankill\Village for example as those areas are contested within loyalism.

The PSNI let it go on for 6 weeks as they were afraid to rumble the UVF. The riots only ended when the UVF leadership issued a statement to stop, that's when the PSNI moved in and actually started to prosecute people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How is belfast city hall doing under the fleg rationing regime? Has the sky fallen yet? Are loyalists significantly less cultural then they were while it was flying proudly every day?

Yup. Mr moderate Mike Nesbitt did.
    However other Unionist did stand against the fleg protestors such as Basil McCrea , credit where its due.

How many condemned the utter stupidity of the protest and violence after?

Or the violence after the Orange parades?

I buy a poppy.

some of that money may go to a soldier who served in NI.

People call for the end of poppy sales.

I donate money to concern.

some of that money may go to a former Rwandan hutu soldier who killed tutsi's

Should concern stop collecting and sending money to Africa?

Royal British Legion and concern are both charities and I am wondering if people only have problems with a British charity collecting for people who need it or are they against all charities?

I buy a poppy.

People call for the end of poppy sales.

I donate money to concern.

some of that money may go to a former Rwandan hutu soldier who killed tutsi's

Should concern stop collecting and sending money to Africa?

Royal British Legion and concern are both charities and I am wondering if people only have problems with a British charity collecting for people who need it or are they against all charities?

I pay taxes.

Government pays wages with taxes.

Those wages could be used to buy drugs.

Money goes to drug gangs.

Solution: Stop paying taxes.

Good logic there.

"the odd bad egg" yet again? This has been explained to you before.

So ALL ex British soldiers are rotten to the core and deserve nothing?

And Basil McCrea had to form his own party to forge an identity as a moderate Unionist. Nesbitt has been a disappointment, pandering to old style Orange extremism to get votes.

I buy a poppy.

Or Aden, Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria, Egypt, Burma, Gambia, Somalia, Malaya, Cyprus, Tanjanika, Sierra Leone, Ghana, India........

It's not somehow ok just because its far away.

The problem is with a charity collecting for the BA. It's rather bizarre I should have to point that out at this stage.

So ALL ex British soldiers are rotten to the core and deserve nothing?

You might read my post 1638 there.

Or Aden, Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria, Egypt, Burma, Gambia, Somalia, Malaya, Cyprus, Tanjanika, Sierra Leone, Ghana, India........

It's not somehow ok just because its far away.

The problem is with a charity collecting for the BA. It's rather bizarre I should have to point that out at this stage.

But you have no problem with a charity giving money to soldiers who took part in a genocide that culminated in the death of up to a million people.

I guess it is just a Brit hating thing after all.....who'da thunk it :rolleyes:

I guess it is just a Brit hating thing after all.....who'da thunk it :rolleyes:

Victim card must be well worn at this stage is it?

• Advertisement

But you have no problem with a charity giving money to soldiers who took part in a genocide that culminated in the death of up to a million people.

....if an African charity gives to such, its an unfortunate coincidence. If a BA charity gives to a BA member, it's hardly a shock. The specific and dedicated task of the BA was - for centuries - to police the Empire. That was an evil thing.

....if an African charity gives to such, its an unfortunate coincidence. If a BA charity gives to a BA member, it's hardly a shock. The specific and dedicated task of the BA was - for centuries - to police the Empire. That was an evil thing.

Concern is an Irish charity using money donated by Irish citizens yet you have no problem with them donating to soldiers who took part on recent genocide you would rather wring your hands over past things that the British Army did. :eek:

wazky wrote: »
    Victim card must be well worn at this stage is it?

Never claimed to be a victim never will claim to be a victim. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the republican side in here ;)

Concern is an Irish charity using money donated by Irish citizens yet you have no problem with them donating to soldiers who took part on recent genocide you would rather wring your hands over past things that the British Army did. :eek:

Concern = Aiding the poor, starving etc in Africa

Poppy = Going to BA

No comparison really, Concern's intention is not to aid murderers, the Poppy's is.

Don't see how this can be explained to you any clearer.

The raison d'etre of Concern is not to provide for soldiers of a now fallen Empire or the perpetrators of war crimes. This is not the same with the RBL.

You keep using this silly, woejous analogies that have nothing to do with the facts at hand. The BA was a tool of Empire. As a result a charity that rewards members of the BA is going to be at very best highly problematic for a lot of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Could you do it with sock puppets and upload it to youtube?

Ah go on.. :pac:

Could you do it with sock puppets and upload it to youtube?

Ah go on.. :pac:

Don't joke, we are nearly at that stage with some posters here.

Concern = Aiding the poor, starving etc in Africa

Poppy = Going to BA

No comparison really, Concern's intention is not to aid murderers, the Poppy's is.

Name ONE murderer who has received money from the poppy appeal money please.

O dear lord can we not go through all this again, Ill name someone, you will reply with "evidence", Ill provide said evidence, you will refute it, Ill provide yet more evidence, which you will overlook and go on another wild tangent with increasingly nonsensical analogies.

• Advertisement

.....but any killing, beating or torture carried out against resistance to the Empire was unjustifiable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement