Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Maybe next year we could have a new thread title, with something like " Will you wear a poppy in honour of your ancestors" who fought in the Great War and World War II. This way we can bring home the reality of the massive loss of Irish lives in both World Wars. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87224931&postcount=967

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

wazky wrote: »
    O dear lord can we not go through all this again, Ill name someone, you will reply with "evidence", Ill provide said evidence, you will refute it, Ill provide yet more evidence, which you will overlook and go on another wild tangent with increasingly nonsensical analogies.

You have yet to name one murderer who has (as you claimed) received money from the RBL poppy appeal. Of course I would ask for evidence otherwise you will just throw out some Joe Smith name and expect me to accept that?

So go on provide a name (with evidence ) of a murderer who has received money from the poppy appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

LordSutch wrote: »
    Maybe next year we could have a new thread title, with something like " Will you wear a poppy in honour of your ancestors" who fought in the Great War and World War II. This way we can bring home the reality of the massive loss of Irish lives in both World Wars. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87224931&postcount=967
    Why do you pretend that the poppy is just about them? Its just as much about the UDR (especially the legion in Ireland) and other "wars" and atrocities by the British Army. It is NOT just about the world wars it is equally about every British war and soldier up until today.

Nodin wrote: »
    .....but any killing, beating or torture carried out against resistance to the Empire was unjustifiable.

Oh stop with your same tired rhetoric.

It's nice how you all chose to bypass my post pointing out how your brave republican brothers beat, stabbed and cut the throat of 2 men (killing one) and then threatened all witnesses. These are the people who you all look up to and claim are your freedom fighters. Criminals, gangsters, murderers and lowlife scum is all they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bumper234 wrote: »
    Oh stop with your same tired rhetoric.

It's nice how you all chose to bypass my post pointing out how your brave republican brothers beat, stabbed and cut the throat of 2 men (killing one) and then threatened all witnesses. These are the people who you all look up to and claim are your freedom fighters. Criminals, gangsters, murderers and lowlife scum is all they are.

That wasn't a sanctioned action. The occupation of Aden, Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria, Egypt, Burma, Gambia, Somalia, Malaya, Cyprus, Tanjanika, Sierra Leone, Ghana, India and the rest was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Shankill Butchers.

If your just going to name murderers so am I :rolleyes:

There is no Poppy specifically in their honour, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why do you pretend that the poppy is just about them?

Commemoration is about whatever you want it to be about. Some people like myself are remembering family war dead, others remember theirs, others wear the poppy to remember the (British losses exclusively), some to remember British/commonwealth/Polish war dead, some to remember the Irish war dead. Nowadays 'the Poppy'has become a very flexible symbol, which can mean different things to many people, but the main reason behind wearing the Poppy (in Ireland), is to remember the fallen Irish men from both World Wars, and God knows there were an awful lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

You have yet to name one murderer who has (as you claimed) received money from the RBL poppy appeal. Of course I would ask for evidence otherwise you will just throw out some Joe Smith name and expect me to accept that?

So go on provide a name (with evidence ) of a murderer who has received money from the poppy appeal.

The BA generally don't name soldiers who murdered civilians in NI, the Bloody Sunday killers for example. They are named as Soldier A, B, C etc, hardly soldiers were they?!

Commemoration is about whatever you want it to be about. Some people like myself are remembering family war dead, others remember theirs, others wear the poppy to remember the (British losses exclusively), some to remember British/commonwealth/Polish war dead, some to remember the Irish war dead. Nowadays 'the Poppy'has become a very flexible symbol, which can mean different things to many people, but the main reason behind wearing the Poppy (in Ireland), is to remember the fallen Irish men from both World Wars, and God knows there were an awful lot of them.

.....but the Poppy on sale is from the RBL, is it not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Popinjays.

Shankill Butchers.

If your just going to name murderers so am I :rolleyes:

I think the loyalist murderers where as bad as the Republican murderers and I think they should all still be in jail.

moxin wrote: »
    The BA generally don't name soldiers who murdered civilians in NI, the Bloody Sunday killers for example. They are named as Soldier A, B, C etc, hardly soldiers were they?!

So that would be a no then?

You keep claiming that money raised from the poppy appeal goes to murderers but you don't have a shred of evidence of this just a gut feeling?

You keep claiming that money raised from the poppy appeal goes to murderers but you don't have a shred of evidence of this just a gut feeling?

Money raised by the poppy goes to ex-soldiers?, where is the confusion that you are experiencing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Doesn't the RBL support all former and current military personnel?

The poppy website says it goes to BA soldiers and the ex-Service community who are indeed the Bloody Sunday murderers.

Money raised by the poppy goes to ex-soldiers?, where is the confusion that you are experiencing?

I am an ex British soldier. I have never murdered anyone. Some in here claim that money from the poppy appeal goes to murderers so all I am asking for is proof of any poppy appeal money being paid out to a convicted murderer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87312449&postcount=1651

The poppy website says it goes to BA soldiers and the ex-Service community who are indeed the Bloody Sunday murderers.

Do you have evidence that any of those soldiers receive money from poppy appeals? Also no one was convicted of murder but hey keep making false claims.

I am an ex British soldier. I have never murdered anyone. Some in here claim that money from the poppy appeal goes to murderers so all I am asking for is proof of any poppy appeal money being paid out to a convicted murderer.

The BA haven't convicted their own murderers of unarmed defenceless men, women and kids in NI, what did you expect?

• Advertisement

Linking back to your own posts is not providing evidence that was asked for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Do you have evidence that any of those soldiers receive money from poppy appeals? Also no one was convicted of murder but hey keep making false claims.

Are you suggesting that what happened on Bloody Sunday wasn't murder?

Linking back to your own posts is not providing evidence that was asked for.

As the business of Empire was criminal, any act that took place in enforcement of that Empire was likewise. As a result anyone who served in any territory and enforced British writ is guilty, whether it be of murder or some lesser offence.

The BA haven't convicted their own murderers of unarmed defenceless men, women and kids in NI, what did you expect?

Well according to others NI was not the only place people were murdered so surely you have evidence of ONE convicted murderer since ww1 getting handouts from the RBL poppy appeal. I mean with all of the accusations being thrown around in this thread about a charitable organisation I would have thought at least one of you had some solid evidence to back up your claims?

For specific instances we'd need a list of those who've received money for the RBL.

Anyone involved in the second Iraq war would have questions to answer as well, btw.

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that what happened on Bloody Sunday wasn't murder?

I never said that (although there have so far been no convictions) I am saying there is no proof that any of the soldiers on duty that day have received any money from the poppy appeal.

I never said that (although there have so far been no convictions) I am saying there is no proof that any of the soldiers on duty that day have received any money from the poppy appeal.

Can you prove that they did not receive money?

More importantly, can he prove they aren't entitled to money?

For specific instances we'd need a list of those who've received money for the RBL.

Anyone involved in the second Iraq war would have questions to answer as well, btw.

But not every soldier receives money from the RBL so without evidence all of the claims about murderers getting handouts are just nonsensical.

• Advertisement

I am not making the accusations ergo the onus is not upon me to prove innocence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement