Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

bumper234 wrote: »
    I am not making the accusations ergo the onus is not upon me to prove innocence.

True, but the question asking whether these people are ineligible to receive money from the poppy appeal is perfectly valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/martin-o-neill-firmly-on-course-to-be-next-ireland-manager-1.1581194

Well these two proud Irishmen, a Derryman and a Corkman appear to have no issue with the poppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/martin-o-neill-firmly-on-course-to-be-next-ireland-manager-1.1581194

Well these two proud Irishmen, a Derryman and a Corkman appear to have no issue with the poppy.

Why would they?, British companies have been paying their wages for decades?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Just on the war crimes angle.

British war crimes are crimes committed by the armed forces of the United Kingdom from its formation in 1707 to the present day. Actions labeled "war crimes" range from independent actions of individual soldiers, such as the abuse of prisoners in the Iraq War,[1] to officially sanctioned actions such as the bombing of Dresden in 1945.[2][3]

While most of the war crimes committed by the British during their wars of conquest in India were not recorded, those committed during the brutal British suppression of the 1857 war of independence were recorded in passing. These included widespread summary executions across the countryside, particularly by forces under the command of Neill and Renaud; indiscriminate murder of civilians during the capture of Delhi; and the summary execution of the princes of Delhi and other Indian leaders. [4]

During the later stages of the Second Boer War, the British Empire ordered the civilian internment of the Afrikaner population into concentration camps,[5] one of the earliest uses of this method by modern powers.[6][7]
    Though intended as a humanitarian gesture to protect the civilian population from the British Army's scorched earth policy, the women and children were rounded up and driven to, or transported to the camps under the most brutal, inhuman and appalling conditions, e.g. being transported in open cattle trucks in freezing rain during winter, without being given adequate food and water.[citation needed] A significant portion of adults died.[8] Some Afrikaners consider this to be a war crime,[9][10] which ended with the death of at least 34,000 people.[10] A later Prime minister, Henry Campbell-Bannerman, declared in the British Parliament on 14 June 1901: "When is a war not a war? When it is waged in South Africa by methods of barbarism."[11]

In 1993, Argentine president Carlos Menem ordered an investigation into allegations that Argentine soldiers captured during the Battle of Mount Longdon had been executed by British paratroopers. The statements[which?] were said to confirm seven executions.[35]

There are numerous others in WW1/2 and many of course during the Irish war of independence and also of course not forgetting the conflict in the six counties,

All above very easily accessed using google or for some like me who have suffered indirectly from British forces actions.you tend not to forget. Dublin/Monaghan bombings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

But not every soldier receives money from the RBL so without evidence all of the claims about murderers getting handouts are just nonsensical.

But with the number of dubious operations the BA has been involved in, it would be entirely amazing if they hadn't.

• Advertisement

wazky wrote: »
    Why would they?, British companies have been paying their wages for decades?
    By that logic all Tesco workers, all Sky workers, all Ulster Bank workers would be wearing poppies.
    Maybe Keano and O'Neill just want to show their respect to the fallen or their support for BA.

realies wrote: »
    Just on the war crimes angle.

British war crimes are crimes committed by the armed forces of the United Kingdom from its formation in 1707 to the present day. Actions labeled "war crimes" range from independent actions of individual soldiers, such as the abuse of prisoners in the Iraq War,[1] to officially sanctioned actions such as the bombing of Dresden in 1945.[2][3]

While most of the war crimes committed by the British during their wars of conquest in India were not recorded, those committed during the brutal British suppression of the 1857 war of independence were recorded in passing. These included widespread summary executions across the countryside, particularly by forces under the command of Neill and Renaud; indiscriminate murder of civilians during the capture of Delhi; and the summary execution of the princes of Delhi and other Indian leaders. [4]

During the later stages of the Second Boer War, the British Empire ordered the civilian internment of the Afrikaner population into concentration camps,[5] one of the earliest uses of this method by modern powers.[6][7]
    Though intended as a humanitarian gesture to protect the civilian population from the British Army's scorched earth policy, the women and children were rounded up and driven to, or transported to the camps under the most brutal, inhuman and appalling conditions, e.g. being transported in open cattle trucks in freezing rain during winter, without being given adequate food and water.[citation needed] A significant portion of adults died.[8] Some Afrikaners consider this to be a war crime,[9][10] which ended with the death of at least 34,000 people.[10] A later Prime minister, Henry Campbell-Bannerman, declared in the British Parliament on 14 June 1901: "When is a war not a war? When it is waged in South Africa by methods of barbarism."[11]

In 1993, Argentine president Carlos Menem ordered an investigation into allegations that Argentine soldiers captured during the Battle of Mount Longdon had been executed by British paratroopers. The statements[which?] were said to confirm seven executions.[35]

There are numerous others in WW1/2 and many of course during the Irish war of independence and also of course not forgetting the conflict in the six counties,

All above very easily accessed using google or for some like me who have suffered indirectly from British forces actions.you tend not to forget. Dublin/Monaghan bombings.

Indeed. Plus the 'secure villages' in Kenya, prison camps in same, the abuses in Cyrprus and so on. All in the 20th century too.

That's their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sir Bernard Woolley

I shall wear one.

Nodin wrote: »
    That's their problem.
    Why "Problem" ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Disappointed that a Derry man of his background would wear one of those considering the misery the BA brought to Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sir Bernard Woolley

You mean Londonderry?

Oh look. A brand new poster.

Why "Problem" ?

Because its supporting veterans of the BA who have done much wrong all over the world. As I've stated once or twice before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

You mean Londonderry?

Sectarianism wouldn't have happened in Derry.

We need a new term for those who wilfully ignore the crimes of the BA.

Poppy Ostriches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Because its supporting veterans of the BA who have done much wrong all over the world. As I've stated once or twice before.

I know. TBH I only posted the pic because I was quite surprised to see those two men wearing poppies.
    But then again its a free (ish) country.

What about?

What about?

What about?

What about if your granny had balls she would be your granda.

While some crimes were committed, overall the campaign was against a sectarian repressive statelet. The BA's various campaigns were to maintain racist colonial regimes across the world. Bit different.

• Advertisement

I know. TBH I only posted the pic because I was quite surprised to see those two men wearing poppies.
    But then again its a free (ish) country.

O I wouldn't ban the things, but I have (as may be evident) zero time for them.

Just the usual "whataboutery" crew out in force :)

As if that would ever be let slide. Every single thread on the north is descended upon by the 'what about Jean McConville and Jerry McCabe' crowd. The only two victims of thousands that the vast majority of them can name and it's beyond them as to why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

But with the number of dubious operations the BA has been involved in, it would be entirely amazing if they hadn't.

Millions through the years have served, only a few have committed atrocities (in before the usual British policy blah blah blah) maybe some have received money, I don't know but the MAJORITY of people If not all would be innocent of these accusations.

Millions through the years have served, only a few have committed atrocities (in before the usual British policy blah blah blah) maybe some have received money, I don't know but the MAJORITY of people If not all would be innocent of these accusations.

.....of what? Serving in the Empire? Hardly. Now, you might say most of them are dead, and maybe they are, but that still leaves them, those who served in NI and those who served in Iraq II.

In fact, there are undoubtedly far more veterans of various colonial adventures alive than there are WWII vets, given the chronology.

Who? Wha?

Is this aimed at me? If it is I challenge you to show where I've ever condoned things like Kingsmill or Enniskillen or indeed the killing of any person who wanted no part of the conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

As if that would ever be let slide. Every single thread on the north is descended upon by the 'what about Jean McConville and Jerry McCabe' crowd. The only two victims of thousands that the vast majority of them can name and it's beyond them as to why.

Jason Egan

http://www.tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=64874
    Jason Egan was shot in revenge for Mr Doherty's death by an off shot of the IRA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement