Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you wear a poppy 2013?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bumper234 wrote: »

It would be nice if you read your own link....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

By that logic all Tesco workers, all Sky workers, all Ulster Bank workers would be wearing poppies.
    Maybe Keano and O'Neill just want to show their respect to the fallen or their support for BA.

For messrs Keane and O'Niell I would think it probably has more to do with conforming because they are in the media spotlight.
    Channel 4's John Snow calls this type of conformity 'poppy facism'

Failure to conform can be illustrated by the hysteria surrounding James McClean's refusal to wear one last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

But you condone it all.

Condone what? Things that happened before I was born? If you want to keep wringing your hands and living in the past then that's your choice. Buying a poppy to remember MY Grandfather and MY friends who have served is my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Nodin wrote: »
    It would be nice if you read your own link....

No need to read it, I knew him personally, I knew the person who his brother shot and ironically I know who shot him dead. I actually warned him 3 weeks before he was murdered by republican scum that he was a target bit unfortunately he thought he would be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No need to read it, I knew him personally, I knew the person who his brother shot and ironically I know who shot him dead. I actually warned him 3 weeks before he was murdered by republican scum that he was a target bit unfortunately he thought he would be ok.

...then you should also know that it had nothing to do with the campaign up north, at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Gee Bag wrote: »
    For messrs Keane and O'Niell I would think it probably has more to do with conforming because they are in the media spotlight.

Failure to conform can be illustrated by the hysteria surrounding James McClean's refusal to wear one last year.

You are probably correct, I mean Roy Keane is well known for conforming and not raising a fuss when he doesn't agree with something!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

You are probably correct, I mean Roy Keane is well known for conforming and not raising a fuss when he doesn't agree with something!:rolleyes:

Maybe he thinks that having his cushy job on British tv is worth more then his principles?, who knows, he might even support the poppy cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

so you do know murderers after all then after previously claiming otherwise? LOLsome. love the double standard and hypocrisy some people use. becomes nigh impossible to believe them when this is is their logic hahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Roy Keane

Roy Keane grew up in Cork. I can assure you that for the vast majority of people living here the Troubles may as well have been in Patagonia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I agree wholeheartedly with the above Gee Bag, and I say that as somebody who wears a poppy every year.

See "media driven jingoism" as posted by me in post #682, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87213404&postcount=682

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

wazky wrote: »
    Maybe he thinks that having his cushy job on British tv is worth more then his principles?, who knows, he might even support the poppy cause.

It's probably because Mick McCarthy wasn't wearing one in Saipan.

It's probably because Mick McCarthy wasn't wearing one in Saipan.

Who knows?, more importantly, who cares?, an ex-footballer wears poppy on British tv, shocking.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...then you should also know that it had nothing to do with the campaign up north, at all.

I know it was carried out by "republicans" I also know 3 hours after the initial shooting I got a phone call from a very senior republican in Belfast asking me for Information on the family.Biut yeah nothing to do with northern republicans right :rolleyes:

LOSTfan57 wrote: »
    so you do know murderers after all then after previously claiming otherwise? LOLsome. love the double standard and hypocrisy some people use. becomes nigh impossible to believe them when this is is their logic hahahaha

I said I don't know any murderers in the British Army.

I don't "know" the shooter but I am aware of who he is and would know him to see.

I know it was carried out by "republicans" I also know 3 hours after the initial shooting I got a phone call from a very senior republican in Belfast asking me for Information on the family.Biut yeah nothing to do with northern republicans right :rolleyes:

Did he ring you up on a big red telephone with "hotline" wrote on it?

wazky wrote: »
    Did he ring you up on a big red telephone with "hotline" wrote on it?

No he got my number from another republican who was running some security in Dublin bars and clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Buying a poppy to remember MY Grandfather and MY friends who have served is my choice.

I think Fred was responding to somebody else.

I know it's late to weigh in on this issue, but here's my two cents:

Whatever people may see the poppy and the appeal as representing to them personally (family member who died in service etc), where the money actually goes is clear. It goes to BAF service members, past and present.

The appeal supports all members of the BAF, regardless of the 'morality' of the particular military operation or the actions of individuals.

Now, some of those members were honest ment who wanted nothing more than to defend their homeland against invaders. I don't think that too many on here would object to those service members being helped out by the RBL.

However, there were others who, either in service of the armed forces, or simply because they were violent psychopaths, carried out some despicable acts.

The problem that some people (including me) have is that the poppy appeal aims to support everybody, and while some of the recipients are worthy indeed, funds are just as likely to be given to some who would more rightly receive a prison sentence for their 'service'.

Bumper what do you think of those British soldiers who murdered people in Bloody Sunday massacre? Or the 12-year-old girl who was shot in the back by a British Soldier? Or the lad heading to a GAA training shot in the back by a British Soldier?

What do you think of these British Soldiers?

Bumper what do you think of those British soldiers who murdered people in Bloody Sunday massacre? Or the 12-year-old girl who was shot in the back by a British Soldier? Or the lad heading to a GAA training shot in the back by a British Soldier?

Accuses me of whataboutery.

replies with whataboutery :rolleyes:

Jean McConville :shot in the head

Rober Mccarthy:Stabbed and had throat cut

Jason Egan: shot dead

rabble rabble rabble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Oh dear, not another Fred in denial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

osarusan wrote: »
    I know it's late to weigh in on this issue, but here's my two cents:

Whatever people may see the poppy and the appeal as representing to them personally (family member who died in service etc), where the money actually goes is clear. It goes to BAF service members, past and present.

The appeal supports all members of the BAF, regardless of the 'morality' of the particular military operation or the actions of individuals.

Now, some of those members were honest ment who wanted nothing more than to defend their homeland against invaders. I don't think that too many on here would object to those service members being helped out by the RBL.

However, there were others who, either in service of the armed forces, or simply because they were violent psychopaths, carried out some despicable acts.

The problem that some people (including me) have is that the poppy appeal aims to support everybody, and while some of the recipients are worthy indeed, funds are just as likely to be given to some who would more rightly receive a prison sentence for their 'service'.

Not forgetting of course, that the "Irish Poppy appeal" is an ROI affair. and if you buy a poppy in the ROI, then the procedes are kept within the ROI. This fact is lost on many. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87209009&postcount=663

I didn't accuse you of whataboutery (although your post is a prime example of it). Do keep up.

This thread is about the poppy. The poppy funds go to former members of the BA. I'm asking you about the actions of former members of the BA. Could you answer the question? I'm interested in getting your views.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

LordSutch wrote: »
    Not forgetting of course, that the "Irish Poppy appeal" is an ROI affair. and if you buy a poppy in the ROI, then the procedes are kept within the ROI. This fact is lost on many. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87209009&postcount=663
    Very fair point, though the whole poppy debate encompasses more than the Irish poppy appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

replies with whataboutery :rolleyes:

Jean McConville :shot in the head

Rober Mccarthy:Stabbed and had throat cut

Jason Egan: shot dead

rabble rabble rabble.

What about the murders of Julie Livingstone or worse the killers of Peter McBride who following conviction for his murder,were re-instated into the BA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

This seems to be very local knowledge within the Greater Blanchardstown area(specifically Hartstown). Have you informed the Gardai of your information?

moxin wrote: »
    This seems to be very local knowledge within the Greater Blanchardstown area(specifically Hartstown). Have you informed the Gardai of your information?

Why would I do that? Do you not think the guards in Blanchardstown already know this? See it all comes back down to one little word......EVIDENCE...... Making accusations is one thing but having evidence of said crimes is another.

Why would I do that?.

Yano for helping the investigation along and all that?, since you seem to know the "shooter" and all........

• Advertisement

These questions will wait for you and you can do one of two things.

1. Address them.
    2. Ignore them.

If you choose to ignore them then I think we can safely say that haven't got it in you to condemn murder if it emanates from a person wrapped in a BA uniform.

Please answer the question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement